Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Florida growth management questions for interview

Registered
    Jan 2005

Florida growth management questions for interview

I know all you Floridians are busy planning the lae-fest , but can someone update me on the current status of Growth Management law in Florida? As the state's G.M. system in the the process of a makeover I'm confused as to what has changed and what has remained the same. Are concurrency and D.R.I. review still a part of the system?

Have significant elements of the Florida Growth Management Study Commission report (2000) been implemented? Got an interview in a few days and I'm trying to sort some of this out but haven't found good web resources. Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Have you tried the Department of Community Affairs website? They have a section on Growth Management:
    http://www.dca.state.fl.us/GrowthMan...2005/index.cfm

I'm currently working with trails so have been out of the loop on this stuff for a couple years, but sisterceleste or another FL planner may be able to help.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Concurrency and the DRI process are still part of the system (in fact, I attended a pre-app DRI meeting yesterday).

FYI, I just received this from our land use attorney.

Growth Management Hits a Snag

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Legislation to provide roads, schools and water for the state's fast-growing population has
    hit a snag, a key lawmaker said Tuesday.

"It's a train wreck," Rep. Randy Johnson said, warning that changes adopted in the Senate could be "disastrous" for what
    is one of the year's top-billed issues.

Others involved in negotiations said there was still time to reach a deal before the session adjourns Friday.

"We have four days. That's lots of time," said Sen. Daniel Webster, R-Winter Garden. "There's going to have to be
    compromise."

Lawmakers faced a widening gulf between the House and Senate proposals just two days after Johnson said he expected
    to see compromises.

"I feel like a junkyard dog chasing a moving truck - and I'm not gaining on it," Johnson said.

The Senate approved amendments Monday that differed from the House proposal on several key points and appeared to
    respond to the concerns of environmental and citizens' groups.

One change would require that plans and money for roads be in place before developments could be built. The House
    wants a provision that would allow development as long as builders pay for the needs of their new residents.

That would lead to "holding developers and growth hostage," said Towson Fraser, spokesman for House Speaker Allan
    Bense. He said the measure would inadvertently cause sprawl in other areas near the places where the Senate provision
    slowed growth.

"We have to face the fact that Florida is going to grow, and we have to make sure it's going to grow responsibly," he said.

A compromise could still be reached within the next two days, Fraser said, arguing that the changes to the Senate's
    proposal were not that significant.

Senate and House negotiators must also overcome a long-standing disagreement over whether to make it easier for
    counties to raise sales and gas taxes by up to $5 billion annually to pay for roads and other services. House members
    oppose the idea.

Gov. Jeb Bush said that all the parties were "very close" to a compromise.

"There's good faith on both sides to try to find some middle ground," he said.

Bush threw his support behind the "underlying policy" of the Senate's proposal, but said he'd support aspects of both bills.
    He said a good policy was needed to go along with the money.

"If we just put more money into roads, water and schools, we'd get roads, water and schools. But we wouldn't
    necessarily get the balance we need," he said.

---

On the Net:

Florida Legislature: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I've been impressed with Jeb's leadership on Growth Management. At least from what I've read, he seems to advocate sensible reforms to the current system. I don't buy the argument that the senate bill would "hold growth hostage", nor do I buy the development industry's longstanding claim that impact fees would curtail growth in Florida. Yeah right .

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    I've been impressed with Jeb's leadership on Growth Management. At least from what I've read, he seems to advocate sensible reforms to the current system. I don't buy the argument that the senate bill would "hold growth hostage", nor do I buy the development industry's longstanding claim that impact fees would curtail growth in Florida. Yeah right .
    To put it bluntly, Jeb is about an anti-planning as possible. He loves developers, and has been trying to dismantle the Florida growth management laws for years. His latest "effort" is described above. Believe me, as a planner, I am unaware of anything sensible about any of his "reforms". The lawmaker's quote above is obviously partisan, but I've been to a few DCA discussion meetings and am fairly horrified at the prospects. This particular effort is not nearly as alarming as previous ones, as this just seems to propose that we act like we're doing something about concurrency but don't really do anything about it at all. (okay, it's Friday and I'm fairly grumpy...) There is a pending bill to freeze impact fees to previous levels (January, 2004 levels, I believe) and instead allow local governments to raise gas taxes. Ugh.

To answer the original question on this thread, nothing much has changed to date. Same old, same old (so far), despite Jeb's best efforts to the contrary.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for your perspective solarstar. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions based on things I have read since I don't know anything about the situation on the ground.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 7:01 PM
  2. Florida guts growth management
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 30 Jun 2007, 3:51 PM
  3. Florida Growth Management Course
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Jan 2005, 10:39 AM