Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Trees over Billboards

Opinion from the Louisville Courier-Journal, May 22, 2005

A lawless massacre
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...7/1055/OPINION

Highlight:
    Over and over again, the members of the Kentucky General Assembly have made it clear: They do not want trees cut down in the public right-of-way in order to make billboards sitting on private land more visible to travelers.

But in the end, sanity prevails, and lawmakers conclude that Kentucky's greater resource is its scenic beauty, not privately owned billboards.

No doubt the debate over tree and brush cutting will continue when lawmakers gather again next year. But until the law is changed, it's clear that trees are not to be cut on the public right-of-way except for safety reasons.

So far, there has been no public pressure to change that law and give billboard companies a reason to ruin Kentucky's beautiful landscapes with even more of their signs.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Opinion from the Louisville Courier-Journal, May 22, 2005

A lawless massacre
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...7/1055/OPINION

Highlight:

(snip)
    And when said trees ARE clandestinely cut, a simple sign prominently posted where they were, readable by passing traffic, saying "THESE TREES WERE ILLEGALLY CUT/KENTUCKY (or whatever state) DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION" will certainly get the message across to the public, as well as to the offending sign company or even adjoining commercial property owner.

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2003
    And when said trees ARE clandestinely cut, a simple sign prominently posted where they were, readable by passing traffic, saying "THESE TREES WERE ILLEGALLY CUT/KENTUCKY (or whatever state) DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION"
    Excellent idea mgk. The billboard companies cutting trees was one of my pet peeves when I was with the NJ DOT. In at least one case they actually removed trees that were planted. They like to say its a matter of free speech, but what about the individual's right to a landscape uncluttered with all that visual pollution?

Then of course there is the option of clandestinely cutting the billboard supports, or drilling a few holes in them so they blow over in the next storm...
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Excellent idea mgk. The billboard companies cutting trees was one of my pet peeves when I was with the NJ DOT. In at least one case they actually removed trees that were planted. They like to say its a matter of free speech, but what about the individual's right to a landscape uncluttered with all that visual pollution?

Then of course there is the option of clandestinely cutting the billboard supports, or drilling a few holes in them so they blow over in the next storm...
    I wouldn't go that far, but I did recall reading about an example of such a sign being used by MDOT (Michigan). Within a few weeks, the offending billboard went blank. (hehehehehe )

If used, one would also have to 'protect' such signs by including 'NO TRESPASSING - STATE OF (whatever) OWNER' notices (facing 'out') on the ROW fence and also next to the signs themselves. I would even go as far as to include one on the ROW fence facing every billboard or other commercial property.

The offending parties were clearly trespassing on land that was not theirs when they cut the trees.

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2001
    There was a similar, almost more egregious example in Sacramento County, California, A local overachiever/egomaniac bought a lot and built his godawful McMansion on steroids overlooking the American River (you know the kind of eyesore, the bloated castle that is visible for hundreds of yards by park users.). He tresspassed on County park property to cut down trees to improve his view. He got a slap on the wrist

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In Helena, the City planted trees along Euclid Avenue as a beautification program. They looked nice and tourists coming from the southwest got a nice scenic boulevard coming into town. That is, until the outdoor advertising company threatened to sue becuase the trees might obscure his billboard. The City cut down the trees.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002

someone has to....

I think that I shall never see
    A billboard lovely as a tree.
    Indeed, unless the billboards fall
    I'll never see a tree at all.
    Ogden Nash, "Verses from 1929 On"
    All these years the people said hes actin like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

State permits

Some states have a specific permit process to allow trees in the State highway right-of-way to be cut down to improve visibility to a billboard. It is particularly horrible when a brand new billboard is involved.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 16 Jan 2007, 5:48 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Mar 2006, 2:10 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 12:00 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last post: 29 Jan 2005, 4:27 PM
  5. Tree Cutting Regulation
    Design, Space, and Place