Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Masters or not

Masters or not

As of late I have been trying to land a planning job, without a Masters. I have a BA in Geography, and I did a 6-month intern city planner, which I loved. I graduated about 5 years ago, and have been in a GIS line of work for a wireless company ever since. I now want to get back into planning. I have sent out a few applications, and have gotten a couple of interviews, hopefully they will go well. My question is this, if you could guess, what is the percentage of Planners without a Masters?

A few places won't even accept an application without a Master's it seems, that's why I'm asking.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Depends on where you are. MN... I have no clue. I know in Socal hardly anyone had a masters. But in Norcal, you need a masters, PhD preferable, AICP required. It's weird up there. Here in Las Vegas, I'm the only one with a masters that I know of. I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't met them yet. A masters did help me get a job with no contacts or networking, so it's still worthwhile...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    This Thread might be of help.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    This Thread might be of help.
    I don't think that thread is a good indicator of the new wave of planners... those fresh out of school.

I have seen a growing number of planners going on for the masters right now. Unless you have significant (i.e. 5 or more years) experience in the field right now, I think that getting a masters would position you better in the coming years. I don't have a masters, and I'm even thinking that I could use one sometime (and I have over 15 years of experience as a professional planner). Upper Mgmt jobs especially are becoming harder to get without a masters. Right now I'm middle management (branch manager), but department heads may be going to masters minimum in which case I'd be hooped if I ever tried to go higher in the organization. I don't think that's much of a problem for me since I really like my current position and probably wouldn't want to deal with the political headaches of the next job up.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. UK vs.US for Masters
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Aug 2013, 5:02 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Feb 2013, 12:54 PM
  3. SFU masters
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Sep 2009, 5:23 PM