Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: No news is good news??

Registered
    May 2003

No news is good news??

Anyone notice that there is no news about the Iraq or Afghan Wars on front pages of the newspaper.

Stories about Iraq often make it to the front page, but they are written as if Iraq is a country with lots of violence by a group of insurgents who suddenly appeared for no good reason. If the U.S. is mentioned, it is usually a discussion of diplomatic issues, rather than noting that the U.S. has an army in Iraq.

The real war stories are usually small and somewhere near page 12. There's often a limited mention that there was military action, and there is always a little box of American servicemen who have been killed.

Even here on Cyburbia, the subject matter is Wendy's chili, runaway brides, the Jackson kid, and the like. The war has disappeared.

Two American jets crashed in Iraq last week. Two marine pilots died. I don't think that story made it to most papers. It certainly didn't make the front pages. It's hard to compete with a runaway bride for news worthiness.

Kunstler's latest rant is that -- at current rates of discovery and use -- we will run out of oil before the Social Security Trust Funds run out. Which should be more important to the press and President? The press gave Social Security 3 months of front page coverage and oil trends a few liberal columns on the op-ed page.

All that being said, there are rational responses to issues at hand. They can be solved by the "middle" but not the two artificial extremes that have been created by political strategists. A good first step would be a non-aligned press that reports news.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Not sure that you will ever get real news.....at least in the old sense. Television, the internet, our focus on celebrity, the lean of news networks such as Fox, the slow death of paper news (the written press), talk radio......all have changed what is offered and what is accepted (and expected).

Here in Toledo the Katie Holmes (from Toledo) and Tom Cruise story actually pushed the runaway bride story out of first place. The real war news hits the front page (or the local station's lead story) ONLY when somebody from the area is injured or dies.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Not sure that you will ever get real news.....at least in the old sense.

Bear
    That may be the case right now (which is why I started the thread) But it's like saying that planners should go to school, learn their profession, then make decisions based on person opinions or bribes received and not policies, ordinances, or the results of their training. Certainly that can happen but it doesn't for the most part. There is an integrity in most professions. The new appears to have lost that, but it is still the principle on which news is supposed to be based. I am waiting for journalism to rediscover its underlying principles.

1) I think we are overloaded with information. Much more than we can process in our daily lives, local, regional, state, national and international. Attending to petty things, like Katie Holmes or runaway brides is just a little easier. There's something to the old saying about it being impossible not to watch a train wreck.

2) Congress should be more like many state assemblies: in session for three months then home in their districts where they can't cause trouble.

3) I remember the president's state of the union where he committed to alternative fuel sources like hydrogen. What has he actually accomplished? Drilling in ANWAR? Some accomplishment to be proud of, that one.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2003
    I've been reading the French papers and they carry a headline almost every day. Same old ****. Death count keeps getting higher, daily bombings, executions, etc. I guess the American media has decided that that's all passť now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Assuming 50,000 people die each year in a car crash in the U.S., that's about 137 people a day. What attention does this get? Little, its simply accepted as part of life. Most deaths caused by car crashes will get media coverage, but it tends to be buried in the local section unless its a massive twenty car pile up. The fact that automotive deaths is so common in our society causes it not to be news worthy. The fact that 25 people died in Iraq, sadly, occurs so frequently that the media plays scant attention. If something occurs regularly people tend not to pay as much attention to it. It has little shock value and ceases to be of interest to most people. The media is big business and prints/reports on what they believe will sell. The media reflects, at least to a certain extent, what society values and finds interesting.

Registered
    May 2003
    None of the above explains why a story about two Navy jets that crashed in Iraq would not have been covered. Even if news is big business. Even if news is mostly a monopoly. Even if people are somewhat tired of certain kinds of news. Why would there be a virtual blackout on reporting only the American war effort.

There's daily front page stories about insurgent attacks in Iraq. There are no front page reports of Amercan military engagement. I don't think that is "tired" or "what people want." I think it is the news missing the very point of their existence -- at least in a democracy. In more totalitarian forms of government, the current pattern is exactly how the news operates.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good news: Bad news
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 1:56 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 3:06 PM
  3. Where's the good news?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 30 Nov 2006, 10:11 PM