Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Every county in the state / completed

Registered
    Feb 2003

Every county in the state / completed

Well, shortly after moving to the great state of Florida in June 2002 I decided it was a goal of mine to visit every county in the state. I had already been to several for family/vacation reasons, but wanted to fill in the gaps.

Today that mission was completed as Mrs. H, Jeff the Dog and I passed through Levy county as we went to Cedar Key to eat some fresh clams. That was the last gap. I have now been to all 67 counties in the state!! (I also filled a few gaps around JAX last weekend on the way to Flaefest).

This is incredibly 'dorky', I know, but I enjoyed it very much and feel I now know my state better.

I have to give credit to my major prof. from in my masters program for the idea, as he has been to every county in the country (A goal I can not touch).

How well have you traveled your state? Does anyone else have similar travel goals?

My next goal it bigger, as it is to get to every state in the union. I have, again, already been to several but have gaps in the west and northeast. I cant wait to start working on this next goal!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I definitely want to get to know my own state (IL) a little better as well as the two other states away from home which I adore so much (WI and FL). It would be a great goal to go to every county in those states, especially IL.

I've been to about half the counties in IL. I really need to head south in the state some time though. I haven't seen anything south of Springfield.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've been in just about every county in NY. Although some I've only driven through or took the train through. Ones I haven't been in at all are Franklin, Clinton, Lewis, Fulton, Washington, Greene, and Suffolk. Most of these are very rural and no major transporatation routes go through them, except of course Suffolk, although that would have to be the destination (its the eastern most county on Long Island).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I have been to every county in Wisconsin except for one (Burnette County).

One quasi-goal of mine is to drive on every state highway in the state. My best guess is that I am about 2/3rds of the way to completing that one.

I have also been to every state east of the Mississippi River except for Louisiana, Mississippi and South Carolina (I'm not counting Arkansas as a 'not visited', even though some of it is east of the Mississippi).

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Excellent job!!! I applaud you!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by H
    How well have you traveled your state? Does anyone else have similar travel goals?
    There are 104 (I think) Counties in my state and most of them are so desolate and devoid of interest that I would have a hard time convincing myself to see these places. However, I've probably been to 50 of these counties just through my general travel.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ah....Come On.....

Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    There are 104 (I think) Counties in my state and most of them are so desolate and devoid of interest that I would have a hard time convincing myself to see these places. However, I've probably been to 50 of these counties just through my general travel.
    Yeah, but you gotta take a week off sometime and go visit St. Francis in scenic Cheyenne County Kansas

I shouldn't talk(write), There are still 3 or 4 counties in Colorado I've never visited......but I just never had a reason to visit Springfield (Baca County) and could never convince anyone to take a road trip there for some reason .....(maybe because it was too close to Oklahoma....snarf...har har har....

I've got a good start on Florida.....having visited about 45 counties (about 10 were drive through)....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Yeah, but you gotta take a week off sometime and go visit St. Francis in scenic Cheyenne County Kansas
    I was thinking more along the lines of Hodgeman (link ) and Hamilton (link ) Counties

Does Rhode Island count?

Even though I don't live there, I believe in picking low hanging fruit.

I may have been in every county in Delaware as well.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by H
    This is incredibly 'dorky', I know, but I enjoyed it very much and feel I now know my state better.
    No way Man. If the Z Man has a desire to do the same thing, then it isn't dorky at all. (Or maybe if I do it, then tis truly dorky)

Anyways I think I have only been to maybe 1/2-2/3 of the 64 counties in Colorado. Most of the eastern ones I have not traveled to, but I should. This has been one of my goals for a while.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2003
    In Maryland, I've been to 17 of the 24 counties. Baltimore City is considered a county since it is independent. I believe I will tackle the westernmost counties, Allegheny and Garrett because I'm driving to Kentucky for a family reunion in August. Some of the eastern shore counties will be tough, if they are not en route to the beach.

Registered
    May 2003
    Slightly less than half the population of my state is in one (1) of it's 102 counties!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Huh?

Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    In Maryland, I've been to 17 of the 24 counties. Baltimore City is considered a county since it is independent. I believe I will tackle the westernmost counties, Allegheny and Garrett because I'm driving to Kentucky for a family reunion in August. Some of the eastern shore counties will be tough, if they are not en route to the beach.
    You could trip over a small object and add another county in Maryland.....how could you not have visited Oakland or Red House at least once....?? and Pocomoke City?? or Salisbury??

“The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Apr 2005
    There are at least 104 counties and I have driven through over 75 of them. But to actually stop and visit them,,,, No, there is not enough difference between most of them.

Over half of Kansas counties have less than 10,000 in population. It is not unusual for people living in these counties to have to travel over 30 miles just to purchase gas or groceries.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Micro Breweries in Michigan (I am about 1/5 of the way there!)… then someday do wineries. I was thinking about skiing every ski hill in the mid west, but there are so many little ones that are not worth my time and I would end up doing back flips and go home.

Maybe I will do more and post at this web site:
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    You could trip over a small object and add another county in Maryland.....how could you not have visited Oakland or Red House at least once....?? and Pocomoke City?? or Salisbury??

I've been through Salisbury on the way to the beach. Pocomoke City is a little out of the way. I'll hit Allegheny and Garrett counties on my way to Kentucky in August. If I hit Rehobeth this year, then I'll pass through Kent and Caroline counties.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    From Wikipdeia (emphasis added):

The actual term "county" is used in 48 of the 50 states; Louisiana uses the term "parish" and Alaska uses the word "borough." Including those, there are 3,086 counties in the United States, an average of 62 counties per state. The state with the fewest counties is Delaware (three), and the state with the most is Texas (254).

You want me to visit all 254 counties in Texas!! This is why they say Texas is like a whole other country!! It's freaking huge with teeny tiny little counties. I mean, a few of the counties out west are large, but most of them are the size of Rhode Island.

What about the other states I've lived in. Visiting all of Indiana's 92 counties would be hard enough. Maybe I could chicken out and visit all of Arizona's 15.

FYI:

By area, the largest county in the United States is North Slope Borough, Alaska at 94,763 square miles (245,435 km²) and the smallest county in the United States is Kalawao County, Hawaii at 13 square miles (34 km²).

However, when county equivalents are included, both lose their status. The largest county equivalent by area is Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska at 147,843 square miles (382,912 km²) and the smallest is the independent city of Falls Church, Virginia at 2.0 square miles (5 km²).

The most populous county (or county equivalent) is Los Angeles County, California with 10,226,506 people as of 2005, and the least populous county is Loving County, Texas with 67 people as of 2000.

BTW: Most common county name: Washington (31)

Registered
    Mar 2005

Inspired

You've inspired me. I'm getting out a map right now to plan my trips. (This could be the perfect goal for me this summer considering I'm so new at this job, I have to wait until next year for any vaca time!!)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    When I lived in California, the thought never crossed my mind. But the second I moved to Nevada, I developed a fascination with the counties here. Esmeralda County is especially intriguing... only 900 people for 3,588 square miles. What's up with that?

Of course, there are only 17 counties so it is not a terrible daunting task. I hope to see them all soon.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner...
    You've inspired me. I'm getting out a map right now to plan my trips. (This could be the perfect goal for me this summer considering I'm so new at this job, I have to wait until next year for any vaca time!!)
    Printed a map of Colorado's counties as soon as I read this. I am going to need to travel to the easern portion of the state to finish.

Maybe I'll plan a bike trip...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Does just driving through once or multiple times count ?
    OR
    do you have to get out of your car and actually visit?
    Last edited by JNA; 09 May 2005 at 5:51 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm fairly sure I've been in all 58 counties of California. Spent the most time in Mendocino, Santa Cruz, and Sonoma counties. In that order.
    Habitual Offender

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Actually, I think I've been to most of the counties in Texas, which is really saying something since it has 254 of the little boogers (well, some not so little). I know I'm missing a few east Texas ones like around the Lufkin area and a big chunk of the panhandle.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Once I had that goal--in KY. I discovered that I could not even find all 120 of them.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Great Lakes States' Counties

Here in the neighborhood we call Cyburbia, there are a few of us who love the Great Lakes, and the states that surround the largest grouping of fresh water lakes in the world. Here's some info on this Bear's travels through some of those Greal Lakes' states:

Ohio (My home state) - I have been to 81 of 88 counties. Only missing a batch that is in the southeast part of the state and NOT along the Ohio River. A lot of years ago I did the Cincinnati to Pittsburgh trip along the river so I got those.

Michigan (My favorite state) - I have been to 79 of 83 Michigan counties. Only missing four (4) that are due north of Grand Rapids. Of course, I have probably traveled on EVERY main road in the Upper Peninsula.

Wisconsin - I have been to 66 of 72 Wisconsin counties. The only missing locales are in the extreme southwest corner.

Minnesota - In Minnesota, this Bear has traveled through 73 of 87 counties. The only missing ones are due west of the Twin Cities metro and the two (2) counties on the northwestern border with Canada.

Dang, I love the lakes.

Bear

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 04 Sep 2012, 4:17 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 31 Aug 2012, 2:31 PM
  3. A new idea on a completed site plan
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 18