Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Laptop recommendations?

Registered
    Dec 2004

Laptop recommendations?

i'll be going to grad school for UP this fall and i'm thinking about buying a new laptop. any recommendations? i'm going to stick with PC over Mac because of GIS and my own familiarity. my current Toshiba Satellite A45 is bulky, loud, and the fan seems to be breaking down. what has everyone had good luck with? probably going to be using GIS, photoshop and other programs I don't even know about yet. looking for something i can carry easily and i guess i'll need lots of RAM (maybe even 1 GB). anyways, let me know with any suggestions....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Not the Compaq Presario X1000. Sorry I can't be of more help. But that is the limit of my experiences with laptops.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ibm

Go with IBM, even if its one of the cheap models.....they are like tanks and should last. Whatever you get will be out of date and COMPLETELY useless in three years anyway, so don't spend a bunch of $$$ (except on RAM).
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Ahh,,, This is my field of expertise. Actually I have three preferences in manufactures…
    IBM , now Lenovo (built like tanks), HP (affordable and can get it repaired anywhere), and Dell (the price leader).

Suggestions? First, get the three year warranty; it costs around $119.00 but guarantees about everything except intentional damage. Second, if you are doing GIS, CAD, PhotoShop, etc. stick with a true P4. Not a Celeron or a Centrino those are modified chips of the desktop version and they sacrifice speed. Third purchase as much RAM as your budget can afford. Expend to spend around $1200+ for the laptop, $120 for the warranty (but well worth it).

Look for the “Business” laptops / notebooks as they are made to with stand being used more than 4 hours a day.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 5:21 PM
  2. What type of laptop?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 12 Jun 2010, 3:06 PM
  3. laptop buying
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 06 Feb 2009, 4:29 PM