Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Toronto's Subway

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Toronto's Subway

The TTC operates one of the most extensive urban mass transit systems in North America, but specifically we're talking about the subway here. 560,000 people use the Toronto Subway on the average weekday, 880,000 if you count transfers from streetcars, buses, etc. Overall if you count the whole system including buses, subways, etc, the TTC carries 420 million a year which is 3rd in North America to only New York and Mexico City. There is 70 km of subway track, and 74 stations. The Subway operates every 2-3 minutes during rush hours and every 5 minutes the rest of the day and on weekends, the Scarborough RT runs every 3-5 minutes during rush hours and every 5-6 minutes daytime and weekends. The Sheppard Subway runs every 5-6 minutes all times. The subway system itself is a pretty basic get the job done system. The stations arent flashy, the trains arent flashy but it is highly efficient and very well run, arguably the best run in North America.

Subway, RT map.

Scarborough RT

Aswell as im sure many of you know Toronto has streetcars to serve lighter routes, and feed the subway

Map of subway and streetcars.

Last edited by Copper; 05 May 2005 at 6:39 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    The ultimate no-nonsense subway system: not pretty, no frills; but it gets the job done efficiently, and it's clean.

Philadelphia should be green with envy.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    What are the future plans that are planned for the subway expansion? Is the Sheppard line going to go further east and west? Is the Spadina line or the Yonge line ever going to reach York University?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Well the only one on the table is the Spadina extension to York U which would like 6 km, other than that there is really nothing. The TTC would love to finish the Sheppard line, and build a new eglinton line but there isnt any money for projects like that.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I remember reading an editorial in the Globe and Mail a month or two back that advocated the installation of a congestion charge system for metro-Toronto. It speculated that $250-300 million could be raised each year. The intent of the charge was to fund perpetual subway/streetcar expansion.

In my opinion this would hurt the working class. Sure in the long-run the idea may produce viable transit links to the entire city, but in the meantime what are these people to do besides pay these expensive charges? They can't take transit as an alternative if it doesn't yet exist where they live. Highway 407 should have been retained for this purpose (of funding transit expansion) rather than sold to political cronies.

Other areas of the GTA are basically unfixable. Good luck converting Brampton to mass transit use, for example. It's interior arteries are already choked, which is a problem as I have observed that most users of Go-train tend to drive to the stations (at least in M.sauga and Oakville). Even if you were to build streetcar or all-day transit rail service, it would be hell to get to the stations.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    On the extension of the subway to York U, some of the studies required are being done and there is a push to extend it a bit farther north. Time frame to actually start digging, eventually. I am sure that if the Argos had signed the deal for teh stadium there, it might have been done quicker.

Just got back from riding the subway from downtown to my place, and saw posters advertising that the TTC has moved 25 BILLION people since its inception in the 1920's. While I prefer streetcars, for the scenery, the subway is awesome, only wish it ran later.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2005

Transit Planning sucks in Toronto

Phase 1 of the Eglinton West line should have been built and phase 2 to Pearson airport would have been a better idea and served more of a purpose than the new Union-Pearson link. The Union-Pearson link will serve only 30% of Toronto's population. Plus it's only purpose is for tourists and business people only. See Murtaza Haider's report on the link on his website: Regionomics

As for the Subway to York, it has nothing to do with the Argos going there or pulling out. The subway should be built to extend to the Vaughan corporate centre as the website proposes Subway to York.

There still needs to be an expansion of the Scarboro LRT to Malvern. Scarboro needs rapid transit service and creating a hub at Kennedy Station or Scarboro town centre just doesn't cut it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Toronto's Mega Boom
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 3:01 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jul 2006, 12:35 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jul 2005, 1:55 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Jan 2004, 10:31 AM