Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TTI Urban Mobility Report released

Registered
    Dec 2003

TTI Urban Mobility Report released

The 2005 Urban Mobility Report has been released today. How congested is YOUR city?

http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    You want to hear something crazy? San Antonio actually spends LESS time in traffic than last year. It may not be statistically significant, but the fact that it did not increase is worth noting...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    You want to hear something crazy? San Antonio actually spends LESS time in traffic than last year. It may not be statistically significant, but the fact that it did not increase is worth noting...
    Could it be economically related? Not as many people working, thus less peak period traffic? Portland was down or flat as well, and I've heard from those with a better handle on this issue than I that a slow economy was the largest cause for small or no congestion increases. Another potential cause is a change in the way TTI values transit, operational and demand management efforts. Regardless, it will be interesting to see the various analysis that will be generated from this.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    Could it be economically related? Not as many people working, thus less peak period traffic? Portland was down or flat as well, and I've heard from those with a better handle on this issue than I that a slow economy was the largest cause for small or no congestion increases. Another potential cause is a change in the way TTI values transit, operational and demand management efforts. Regardless, it will be interesting to see the various analysis that will be generated from this.
    Nope. Unemployment went down. My thinking is that it might be due to increasing jobs outside of the central city. However, downtown occupancy rates have gone up, so I'm not sure about that reasoning. Also, nearly all of the major employers in San Antonio have gone to flex scheduling (I think the city incentivizes this along with organized carpooling programs). A couple of MAJOR construction projects have been finished, so that might be another contributor.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban Mobility India
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2013, 7:29 AM
  2. Mobility within urban neighborhoods
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Dec 2009, 4:06 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 4:42 AM