Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: detoured thru detroit

Registered
    Mar 2005

detoured thru detroit

greetings
    just for the record i'm only here to talk about detroit. I quess i'm obsessed with gaining some comprehension of the vacuum in the wake of it's suburban escape.
    the sum and substance of my theory.... the automobile is thee middle class allegory for freedom. yawn.
    would love to hear from greater (or lesser) detroiters.
    sincerely
    art prior

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcome! I hope you broaden your view a bit after a while here... You know.. the world is more than just Detroit.

Cheers!

hi

Welcome

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Welcome! I hope you broaden your view a bit after a while here... You know.. the world is more than just Detroit.

Cheers!
    thanks bones, my world is already expanding in the light of your platitude.

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

Cheers!

Welcome aboard.

Skeleton, you are right.
    Universe is not wide enough to be planned.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Howdy from the Washington DC metro area
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Welcome from Missouri!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Howdy from the now sunny part of Florida.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from the Florida panhandle....I flew through Detroit once.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Dee-troit

Hello, fellow Detroiter. Yes, our great city has more than its share of problems. We are the most segregated metro area in the US, and Detroit's population is more than half what it was in the 50's....and it is still dropping! Downtown sure looks better than it did a half dozen years ago, but redevelopment can't seem to keep up with the blight in other areas. But I think other cities have similar problems, or are experiencing issues that we aren't faced with. Maybe we can learn from them. And maybe they can give us a fresh perspective.

My theory: classism and racism unfortunately play a big part, more than most people think. I can write a book on that. But lack of a solid public transportation network and our love of the automobile (dag, there are a lot of SUV's on the roads!) certainly plays a part too.

Welcome to Cyburbia, by the way!!!!
    urbanchik

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Welcome from Iowa
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2003

'sup fool

I left Detroit for good when a kid riding by me on a bicycle shot a cap gun off in my face, scaring the sh!t out of me. Earler that month, a buddy of mine got carjacked on an I-75 on-ramp. The propensity for random violence was just too much for me to bear anymore. I left a great house (in Hamtramck) and a bunch of great friends behind, but had to escape the decay......Welcome.....

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello from Houston!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Get up, everybody's gonna move their feet
    Get down, everybody's gonna leave their seat
    You gotta lose your mind in Detroit rock city!

-KISS

Welcome from sunny central Texas!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    I left Detroit for good when a kid riding by me on a bicycle shot a cap gun off in my face, scaring the sh!t out of me. Earler that month, a buddy of mine got carjacked on an I-75 on-ramp. The propensity for random violence was just too much for me to bear anymore. I left a great house (in Hamtramck) and a bunch of great friends behind, but had to escape the decay......Welcome.....
    my sentiments exactly and the impetus of my midlife escape plan catharsis and future master thesis topic- american escapism...mobility, tourism, and suburbia. Since taking a wrong turn and landing too close to Detroit for comfort four and some years ago my family and i have been detoured a number of times off I94 into the post industrial blight. I've come to the conclusion that there is some destined reason for ending up in the last place on earth i ever wanted to be. But now with family and kids in school i'm stuck and have decided the best way out is right through the den of the demons. I'm researching the feasability of running a little historic tour shuttle of Detroit to stimulate creative angles on my thesis. i'm looking for imput from anyone out there good, bad and ugly all comments needed.
    sincerely
    art prior

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welcome aboard
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from a former Michigander (the West side of the State)

I read somewhere that they may eventuall reforest abandoned areas of the city. I think that's a great idea.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Day-twah

Greetings from the Lesser Detroit area...

Being about an hour away from the abandoned city, I don't have too much knowledge of it. But it seems there are many who have high hopes for the future of this once great urban core. The problem is, there's not much momentum in turning things around. Barring some riverfront development in the works, the city council is more interested in perfecting subtle ways of requesting bribes from developers than trying to take some pride in this urban asset and finding a starting point.

My sense is the Old Guard stands strong (despite the fairly new, young mayor), and it's going to take a lot of time and devotion to begin any sort of substantial movement for improvement.

But don't let that discourage you

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Detroit is a substantial piece (sordid perhaps) of americana that would be well in the interest of america to promote both as a massive memorial to a bygone era of america's industrial heritage and (changes willing) a testiment to industrial america's embrace of the techno age. as a defining symbol it is still ironically the american auto industry's best asset and worst liability.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome to cyburbia... from the Canadian prairies.

Registered
    Mar 2005

detroit on the edge

detroit is a great case study for urban growth and decline escpecially considering the automobile has been at the core of american industry and consumerist value for a hundred years. Detroit is at the vortex of a new cycle of national industrial transition. Detroit's growth and decline cycles are perpetuated essentially by a good old boy thread that runs through the "company town,throughout michigan and the rust belt, a rebel fringe of states rights that stretches back to antebellum. since it's invention the automobile has captured an allegory of freedom and individuality in sublime commercialization of the rhetoric of frontier, providence and manifest destiny. America's early western expansion campaigns, pursuant industry and the desire to escape it, and the advent of mass american tourist travel propelled america into an unimaginable prosperity that through the eyes of the world was at once fairytale, legend and hollywood. the 100 years between the civil war and wwII catalyzed America's early founding ideals and virtues into a commercialized embodiment that still accelerates suburban growth.

ah Detroit...

I was drawn there once. A heart throb beckoned. But it was not to be. Yet the memories...

Landscape: inverted tires used as planters...everywhere.
    Transportaiton: GM vehicles with radios, many radios.
    High society: Traveling to the revolving bar only to be turned away for inappropriate attire.
    Leisure: Rooting from the outfield at Tiger stadium with the side entertainment to toss frisbees, hats, and whatever else onto the field, leading to inter-inning field clean-up.

ah Detroit...

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Welcome from the land of Oz

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 16 Sep 2014, 11:43 AM
  2. Detroit 187
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7