Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Most futuristic looking city

May 2005
    Seattle, WA, USA

Most futuristic looking city

I recently had the opportunity to visit Putrajaya, Malaysia. The new administrative capital of Malaysia. This without a doubt must be the most futurisitic planned city I have ever been to. I felt like I had stepped into a Star Trek episode, right into a time machine, except this was real.

This is what I thought the Bay Area / Silicon Valley would have looked like - before having my hopes dashed on my first visit in 1996 - when I was just a very young pup exploring the world.

The building architecture (Mix of Arabic and Western), street layout, landscaping, road quality, artificial lakes, fancy bridges, everything -- brand spanking new and amazing looking. Construction is still on going.

Prior to this, the most futuristic place I have been to was a few areas within Tokyo (Roppongi or Odaiba), but Putrajaya trounced those places for overall effect, and in a much larger area.

Putrajaya is also an entirely previously undeveloped area so there is no older development in sight.

Has anyone else come across places that gave a similar vibe?

Other contenders...might be the new part of Shanghai, China - Pudong area I think (Though ringed by older development - so the illusion isn't that good) and parts of Dubai, UAE - though it is way too spread out and deserty to give a futuristic city impression. Parts of Singapore too...maybe parts of Berlin, Germany too. --- It's not that futury looking due to red brick textures, but the layout of Providence, Rhode Island impresses me too a little bit along these lines now that I think about it.

Lots of pictures:

Nov 2003
    at Babies R Us or Home Depot
    My vote would go to Los Angeles as portrayed in Blade Runner.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Mar 2005
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Quote Originally posted by circusoflife
    It's not that futury looking due to red brick textures, but the layout of Providence, Rhode Island impresses me too a little bit along these lines now that I think about it.
    Only the Capital Center/Waterplace Park area. It was built on the site of an old railroad yard that was cleared in the 1980s.

Mar 1996
    Upstate New York
    Blog entries
    Dallas was used for Logan's Run.

I think American edge cities of the 1970s, and the downtowns of booming Western cities of that era, were viewed as "futuristic" during that time. Britalist and International-style architecture, large atriums, water features galore, and little clutter from street-level retail probably lent to the appearance. The tower-in-the-woods nature of suburban office development also seemed futuristic.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Mar 2004
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    My vote would go to Detroit, a movie called the island was shot around my building over the summer, it was used to represent Los Angeles after anarchy set in!

Look for it in the movies near you this summer. Look in the background and you may see me getting roughed up by some roadies for trying to cross the street while they were filming. Ya think they would have security telling the pedestrians and those that work in the building where and when they can move about... but nooooooo....... Its much more easier to pounce on people as they walk onto the live set. Funny how anarchy in a future Los Angeles looks just like everyday Detroit!

Mar 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    oscar niemeyer's brasilia?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Aug 2013, 4:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 2:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 1:05 PM
  4. Replies: 23