Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need a favour from Sacto/SF area planner (BKM?)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Need a favour from Sacto/SF area planner (BKM?)

I was wondering if anyone was planning to be in/around the midtown area of Sacramento in the next few weeks? If so, and if someone had the time, I would really love for someone to take a few digital photos of some housing types that I want to promote in my little city.

On J Street, east of 21st, there are quite a few fourplex/sixplex types of dwellings with a single entrance. They have large porches on the front like the larger homes in the area, some with balconies above. They were probably built in the early 1900s, or thereabouts.

These types of units may be in other areas as well (Bay Area/SF?), so if anyone from the area knows of some examples and would like to send them my way, it would really help if I can supply some photographic examples when I explain the concept to my Affordable Housing Board. I think this housing type would be a great way to raise the density in some of our infill/heritage areas.

Thanks!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    You could try the County of Sacramento - Assessor parcel search.

My experience is that these more advanced assessor offices have property pictures as well, but I couldn't find it on the site.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I can try to take these pictures for you next time I'm in Sacramento. I don't really have a digital camera, so I can scan them in.

On a related note, Christopher D. posted several photographs of Montreal-style '-plexes" on Cyburbia and also at urbanphoto.net. These are not quite the same thing-but they are pretty close.

Another good option-City of Chicago three-flats and courtyard apartment buildings (U-shaped around a front, open courtyard).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thank you both for the suggestions... I'll try looking at some other housing type from other areas as well!

Next time you are in the area, BKM, I'd really appreciate it if you'd snap a few photos. I'll make it a point to buy you a beer the next time I'm near your fair city!

Nerudite: take a look at the thread started by Trinity Moses entitled "Louisville's Courts..." for another possible option for the kind of in-fill housing you may be looking for.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I might be able to get some pictures on Saturday, Nerudite, if I hit "Second Saturday" (Sacrameto's monthly art gallery crawl) with a friend from work.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cool... anytime is fine, it's no hurry. Funny, "Second Saturday" used to be "First Thursday" when I lived there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Jun 2011, 5:27 PM
  2. Bay Area Cali Planner here
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Mar 2008, 6:48 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Aug 2006, 7:31 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last post: 10 Apr 2006, 2:42 PM