Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My neighbors' feud (rant)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

My neighbors' feud (rant)

My neighbor, Mr. Train Horns, and another are feuding over his blowing of the train horns. It began two years ago when Mrs. Peace and Quiet called the police because of the horn noise. Last year, it escalated to the point where Mr. Train Horns would blow horns and listen to his scanner for the police call, and he would even yell toward Mrs. Peace and Quiet that he already knew that she was filing complaints about him.

Things are heating up. Mrs. P&Q has a political sign for a council person in her yard. So, Mr. TH got signs from the opponent (he has never voted, and is giddy that a candidate pays attention to him). Last week, Mr. TH moved a sign from his yard into a third yard which is across the street from Mrs. P&Q. He put it there to make Mrs. P&Q angry. I informed him that it is probably less than legal to move around signs like that, for that kind of reason, and he got a little worried.

Mrs. P&Q walked over today (she doesn't visit any neighbors) to tell me that Mr. TH yelled at her 82 year old mother about parking her car, "You parked illegally. I should call the police." This, of course, upset the old woman. Now Mrs. P&Q is complaining that Mr. TH left gas cans out in the sun and they could explode. So, things are getting petty. She then said that she hasn't been taking her meds and who knows what she might do if she gets mad enough. So, things might go to another level.

Mr. TH has even enlisted my sons in this feud, in a passive way, by hanging a rope from a mounted bell in his yard. The rope is long enough for my sons to ring, in the hope that the ringing will annoy Mrs. P&Q. And, it's hard to resist, judging from other kids who cut through the yard and ring the bell. I have issued many reminders to my sons not to ring the bell, and even told Mr. TH that I don't appreciate his using my family to fight his imagined battles.

For the most part, Mr. TH is a big coward, and a visit from MR. P&Q would be enough to end the feud. The sad part is that Mr. TH and Mr. P&Q are both interested in cars, and probably would get along fine. Mr. P&Q would probably be interested in the horns. I can't spend time outside, in my yard, without being subject to this nonsense. Mr. TH isn't a bad neighbor. (Bad neighbors kill your pets and park junked cars on the property line. I know first hand.) He can be a jerk, and is pretty irresponsible for a 40 year old, but he keeps the place nice, and isn't even home most of the time.

Although I don't intend to spend my summer mediating this problem, I'm a little put out that I am involved just because I try to treat everyone decently and by being friendly to people.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Wow, what a worthwhile disagreement!

You probably should sit down with both parties to mediate, who else is motivated to do so? ......Otherwise, you'll spend the forseeable future being subjected to similar nonsense. Do it for your own peace of mind and if both parties turn into friends down the line, so much the better. Stranger things have happened, you know.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Call the cops on everyone and sling thawed hams into their yard on hot summer nights.

Just kidding.

I would agree with Maister. If that does not work, contact your local code enforcement official.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kms
    My neighbor, Mr. Train Horns, and another are feuding over his blowing of the train horns.
    I'm trying to get this straight... Mr. TH has train horns? That he can "blow"? Maybe I'm just an urban girl, but how would someone acquire a train horn and why would they feel the need to use it?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by spunky2
    I'm trying to get this straight... Mr. TH has train horns? That he can "blow"? Maybe I'm just an urban girl, but how would someone acquire a train horn and why would they feel the need to use it?
    I was about to ask the same thing...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

I'll bet....

They both have WAY TOO MUCH time on their hands.....and MONEY Such as most Condo Commando's and Front Yard Warriors I've met....mostly just WAY TOO MUCH TIME
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    They both have WAY TOO MUCH time on their hands.....and MONEY Such as most Condo Commando's and Front Yard Warriors I've met....mostly just WAY TOO MUCH TIME
    One word (acronym?)... AARP. I'd be shocked if any of the offenders or offendees were under 65 years of age. Hell, if I sat at home all day with nothing to do eventually I'd probably try to find ways to piss people off just for amusement purposes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by spunky2
    One word (acronym?)... AARP. I'd be shocked if any of the offenders or offendees were under 65 years of age. Hell, if I sat at home all day with nothing to do eventually I'd probably try to find ways to piss people off just for amusement purposes.
    Mr. TH is about 40; Mrs. P&Q is about 50.

Train horns are collectible. Mr. TH buys them on ebay, and tests them with compressed air. He has quite a large collection, and goes to "horn honks" where other collectors bring their horns, too.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kms
    He has quite a large collection, and goes to "horn honks" where other collectors bring their horns, too.
    That is completely strange...
    I wouldn't get in the middle of this one, if I were you.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    kms .....you live in a cool nieghborhood. Mr. Train Horns....what a riot!

Bear In A Baldwin 2-4-2
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    sorry but that is too funny, horn honks!!

naughty Mr TH, hassling the old dame about the cops, as a single male in the neighborhood he could get a reputation

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I was reading your post and thought to my self, “My gosh! How could things have gotten so bad over there across the county line?” I knew something had to be done to help your plight so I went to the County Executive to tell him just what you have recounted to us here and he agreed that some sort of action must be taken. So, as a gesture of goodwill between us and our suburban neighbors, he has authorized the shipment of one drug dealer, a homeless man and half-a-dozen crack whores to your neighborhood. It is hoped that this will give Mr. P&Q something to actually worry about and will build ties between your neighbors. You should expect the truck to arrive in Irwin sometime early Monday morning.

No need to thank me.

Great story. Got to love eccentric neighbors.

I nominate biscuit's reply for Post of the Week!
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What to do about the new neighbors?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Feb 2013, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jan 2008, 11:19 PM
  3. Thy neighbors
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34