Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: HUD housing affordability data on the tract level?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

HUD housing affordability data on the tract level?

I'm trying to find HUD housing affordability and housing mismatch information (cost burdened and severly cost burdened households at various income ranges) on the tract level. I tried the HUD User Web site, but the smallest coverage area whee affordability and housing mismatch information is available is for places and minor civil divisions; there's nothing for individual census tracts. Is such information available? (Computing it from raw Census data is next to impossible.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Try American Factfinder at the U.S. Census web site.

They have owner and renter occupied housing affordability stats under STF3 at the tract level.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    STF 3 - Census Tract level

H97. HOUSEHOLD INCOME IN 1999 BY SELECTED MONTHLY OWNER COSTS AS A PERCENTAGE OF HOUSEHOLD INCOME IN 1999 [57] - Universe: Specified owner-occupied housing units
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    STF 3 - Census Tract level

H97. HOUSEHOLD INCOME IN 1999 BY SELECTED MONTHLY OWNER COSTS AS A PERCENTAGE OF HOUSEHOLD INCOME IN 1999 [57] - Universe: Specified owner-occupied housing units
    It's appreciated, but I can't do a HUD-style housing affordability breakdown with it. I probably shoud have been a bit clearer; I apologize.

HUD presentation of Census data looks not at ranges of income ($20,000-$29,000, etc), but at percentages of annual median household income for the CMSA (0% - 30% AMI, >30% - <=50% AMI, and >80% AMI). The breakdown of housing cost is different, too; HUD uses "not cost burdened" (housing costs at <30% of household income), "cost burdened" (housing costs at >30% to <=50% of household income) and "severely cost burdened (housing costs at >50% to <=80% of household income). Here's an example (see http://socds.huduser.org/chas/index.html )

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Looks like a royal pain to work this data set from
    http://www.huduser.org/datasets/cp.html

(2) State Files. Users can download the data for just their state. For each state, the user downloads a zipped file that contains separate files in DBF format for each of the 59 tables each geography level. Generally, the data are available at six different geography levels: state, county, minor civil division, place (if a place crosses county lines, there is a separate record for each county part), consolidated city, and Census Tract (part). There are a few tables at the Block Group (part) level. Before unzipping the files, we recommend looking at the basic table characteristics. The DBF file does not have data labels, so we recommend that the user also print out the data dictionary for the table(s) of interest. The file names look as follows:

AL - A1A050r where: “AL” is the state of Alabama; “A1A” is for Table A1A; “050” is for the Census Summary Level 050, county; and “r” indicates that the data are rounded.

The Census Summary Levels are:

040 = State
    050 = State - County
    060 = State - County - County Subdivision
    080 = State - County - County Subdivision - Place/Remainder - Census Tract
    091 = State - County - County Subdivision - Place/Remainder - Census Tract - Block Group
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Looks like a royal pain to work this data set from
    http://www.huduser.org/datasets/cp.html
    I saw that, downloaded the Ohio set, looked at a table filled with what appeared to be random numbers, and said "screw it."

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I saw that, downloaded the Ohio set, looked at a table filled with what appeared to be random numbers, and said "screw it."
    Dan -

Is there a local university research center that could work that HUD data for you?

Just a thought......
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    How about contacting an economist at your regional HUD office? I've been able to get tract-level data on very low/low/moderate income households from ours. I would think the regional office could point you in the right direction.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Dan- I worked through it once, and it is a roil pain in the ass. . . but it is doable. . .you probably already saw it, but here is the rosetta stone for their numbers:
    *************************************************************************************
    All of the tables contain a field with the FIPS codes that comprise that geographic area. For example, for the files available at the Tract (part) level, the field containing the geographic identifier is labeled "sum080". The geographic identifier for "sum080", for example, looks like the following:

It is comprised of: State (the first 2 digits), County (3 digits), County Subdivision (5 digits), Place (5 digits), Tract (6 digits, with an implied decimal place before the last 2 digits).
    *************************************************************************************
    Enjoy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Dec 2007, 2:48 PM
  2. Tract housing builders embracing TNDs? Sort of.
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Aug 2005, 6:11 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 24 Mar 2005, 1:38 AM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 May 2004, 9:06 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 May 2002, 9:05 PM