Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CD Recommendations (AIB Your Recent CD Purchases....)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

CD Recommendations (AIB Your Recent CD Purchases....)

So I thought, since we discuss numerous bands on Cyburbia, that we maybe should have a thread for advise on who to listen to for say: a romantic evening, a fishing trip, cleaning the house. Or maybe which album to listen to for a certain band, which segways into my orignal intent here:

-Probably geared to the folks on The Cyb', but which Tragically Hip album would you guys recommend?
    I downloaded a couple songs, but it only came partially through and I keep trying to find albums in CD stores down here, but to no avail. Looks like it is Amazon for me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Buy the new The Mars Volta. Buy it right now. It rocks!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The only Tragically Hip album I own is "Live Between Us (LIVE)". I like it a lot and play it a lot. I gotta get hip and get some more.
    _____

When I was a distance runner I used headphones. My favorite running song was "LA Woman" by the Doors. Its' beat was perfect for my cadence.

When I am out in the garage working on this or that or just "putzing" I listen to the Almond Brothers more than anything else. Others listened to all of the time in "my corner of the world" (garage) are Guns-N-Roses, The Who, and big horn bands like Chase, Lighthouse, Chicago or Blood-Sweat-Tears.

To bring back memories of anybody in my checkered past I know which songs to play to bring on those thoughts.

Every week I take a different tall stack of CD's to the office and when I am actually in that room I pop in what I have. This week's collection includes:

Let It Be (Naked) - Beatles
    Rascals Greatest - Rascals
    Anthology - Argent
    Four - Blues Traveler
    Live From Central Park - Sheryl Crow
    Frampton Comes Alive - Peter Frampton
    A Boy Named Goo - Goo Goo Dolls
    Sailing To Philadelphia - Mark Knopfler
    Tragic Kingdom - No Doubt
    World Premier Performance - The Tonight Show Band
    Talk - Yes
    Being There - Wilco

Driving in my truck I tend to listen to music that needs to be played loud.....and I do. (Sorry, Sylvania Township residents.)

And then there is always a situation that requires "Bolero" to be played.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    If you like blues-rock or just like straight up rock n' roll, go out and buy Joe Perry's new solo album. It's a great buy. You get the CD and a DVD in one for just $13.99. For those who don't know who Joe Perry is, he's the lead guitarist for Aerosmith. The music has such a raw, gritty blues sound like their old 70s stuff, but with a little bit of extra new flavor. I would highly recommend it to anyone who digs Aerosmith, the Stones, Ted Nugent, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, etc.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Not very usefull for me now, but if anybody needs a good break up album... they should get No-Man's Together We're Stranger....

And if you don't like how's the situation in iraq... I'd recomend APC's Emotive

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Have already mentioned the Bloc Party album, 'Silent Alarm' on the Recent Purchases thread. Highly recommended - quite spiky (Amazon review).

Also recommend 'Employment' by Kaiser Chiefs. Good fun, and a good sing along album. Pleasingly stupid at times, too. (Amazon review).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    The only Tragically Hip album I own is "Live Between Us (LIVE)". I like it a lot and play it a lot.

Bear
    That's just because he announces to his Detroit audience that he sees he big f***in' Bear during one of his rants
    That's also one of my fave Hip cds.
    My two other non-live albums that I particularly like are Trouble at the Henhouse and the one with Nautical Disaster and Grace Too on it. Can't remember what that one is called.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    -Probably geared to the folks on The Cyb', but which Tragically Hip album would you guys recommend?
    If you're only going to get one, I'd probably go with the previously recommended "Live Between Us". My favourite album is "Fully Completely", which I think is the one nerudite is thinking of too. "Road Apples" is also a great album. I'm not a big fan of anything recent - "Trouble at the Henhouse" was the last good 'Hip album IMHO.

Damn, now I gots me to listen to some 'Hip.

EDIT: Oops - "Day for Night" is the album nerudite is thinking of.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    If you're only going to get one, I'd probably go with the previously recommended "Live Between Us". My favourite album is "Fully Completely", which I think is the one nerudite is thinking of too. "Road Apples" is also a great album. I'm not a big fan of anything recent - "Trouble at the Henhouse" was the last good 'Hip album IMHO.

Damn, now I gots me to listen to some 'Hip.
    Hey guys, thanks a lot. I ordered Live Between Us on Amazon.com last week... but see my Amazon rant in the Random Thoughts thread... (Sending it to my old house... I forgot to change the address in my saved info.... ) But I have friend checking on it this week... so hopefully I'll be listening to it soon!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Hey guys, thanks a lot. I ordered Live Between Us on Amazon.com last week... but see my Amazon rant in the Random Thoughts thread... (Sending it to my old house... I forgot to change the address in my saved info.... ) But I have friend checking on it this week... so hopefully I'll be listening to it soon!
    Attention: Sir Z-Man .....

We the people who now live in your house do not have your CD. ("Jim, play that last cut a little louder, Gads, I love The Hip!") We have not seen your CD. It was not sent to this place at which we live, which used to be your house. Do not send friends for it. If we do have it (and we don't) your friend will have to pry it from our cold fingers. Stay away. Last warning.

The Northern Colorado Mafia
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Attention: Sir Z-Man .....

We the people who now live in your house do not have your CD. ("Jim, play that last cut a little louder, Gads, I love The Hip!") We have not seen your CD. It was not sent to this place at which we live, which used to be your house. Do not send friends for it. If we do have it (and we don't) your friend will have to pry it from our cold fingers. Stay away. Last warning.

The Northern Colorado Mafia
    Careful, Bear, one of my old roomates, who moved a couple blocks away this past year, had some software sent to the old house by his mom. They "hadn't seen it" and it was no where to be found. So I am a little worried, because I paid like $60 for a number of other CDs as well as the Hip.

-Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Buy the new The Mars Volta. Buy it right now. It rocks!
    That is an excellent CD. I won mine by being the 9th caller to my favorite radio station on the way to work one day. I would have gladly paid the $15 or whatever it costs at the local music store!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. That's my favorite album by them... the version of Nautical Disaster (my favourite song by them) is better on the live album than the original album.

Thanks to TP for helping me remember the names of the albums. There are so damn many of them!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has anybody have/heard
    Robert Plant and The Strange Sensation 'Mighty Rearranger' ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Has anybody have/heard
    Robert Plant and The Strange Sensation 'Mighty Rearranger' ?
    I've heard the new Robert Plant single, which goes something like, "Take a little sunshine, spread it all around." It sounds very cool...very Robert Plantish. Similar to the album he and Jimmy Page put out around 1995. I have not heard the complete album, no. But I'm sure it would be a good buy.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well, I just had the new Nine Inch Nails CD, With Teeth, gifted to me. I had downloaded it a week or so prior, and at first brushed it aside as crap. Slowly I came to enjoy it, though, and now I respect it as a solid album.

I'm looking at purchasing some Autechre, Boards of Canada, Bloc Party, Cat Power, the Notwist, and a few albums from Godspeed you Black Emperor and A Silver Mt Zion. My summer, in a musical nutshell.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Mobile, AL - recommendations
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 May 2009, 9:56 AM
  2. Recommendations on new PC
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Jul 2008, 5:12 PM
  3. Replies: 90
    Last post: 24 Apr 2006, 4:15 PM