Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Let Me Tell Ya 'Bout My Best Friend

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Let Me Tell Ya 'Bout My Best Friend

Do you have a "best friend"? Did you have a best friend, but that part of your life is past? Are you a person who never really got that close to anybody?

Katie was kidding me tonight about only having one (1) friend, her. She then said, "And I'm probably your best friend." True enough.

A good way for a marriage to work is to be good, if not, best, friends.
    _____

My best friend at an early age was a kid named Neil. We spent a lot of time together, building tree forts and playing "bloop" (whiffle) ball, etc. But my family moved from his neighborhood and my new "best friend" became Fred. We played hours upon hours of basketball together, built a cool fort in the woods (can you say "girls", "high school", "skipping class" ??? ). After high school we even teamed-up as a twin-keyboard act, playing at a fancy restaurant. He moved to Chicago, I spent a lot of time with him there.

But some bad stuff happened and we were no longer best friends. Or even "talking" to each other. Let's just say that my ex-wife fits into this scenario, also.

Through most of my 20's I had a great friend named Phil. Together, we drank a lot, fished a lot, canoed a lot. Eventually, we drifted apart.
    _____

I have a lot of friends. Mainly, people that I work with or play basketball with. but I no longer have a "best friend".....other than my wife. That's probably the way it will be until I leave this planet.
    _____

What say, you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Funny coincidence that, my wife kylie and I were discussing this very same subject recently.

As it turns out, Kylie is my best and longest friend - we have known each other since we were 12, having gone to school together etc. In those days it wasnt cool to have a girl friend so Kylie was my nemesis - dobbing me into the headmaster, always doing evil girl things such as stealing my clothes when we were swimming and lets not forget the goanna in my sleeping bag at the school camp.

I have to admit I was no angel and her brothers and I made life hell for her for many years - we preferred Gigantor over Flipper as our afternoon tv viewing.

After that, we too have many friends - some common property to the both of us and others more individually acquired. They come from both sexes and if anything are more often the opposite sex to Kylie or I respectively.

However, as for best friends - well aside from Kylie, thats a very rarified group - it consists of two people (not counting family - such as Kylies brothers).

Ive known my Mate Sid since school. We have moved extensively and have both travelled the world seperately, interestingly we both married within the same month to Girls who knew each other. We live about 10km's from each other now and visit whenever we can. Its a relationship thats been going on almost 30 years.

My other mate is a Pom (terrible thing to admit) and he is a recent acquisition. We met at our kids school and just hit it off. Its been around three odd years and we still fish together, play soccer every friday nite, BBQ most weekends and catch up for drinks through the week.

So there you have it - you can acquire new "best friends" at any time and in the strangest of places.

The weird thing Ive noticed is that my circle of friends has increased rapidly as my lads got older. Ive always put it down to having more time on my hands. But Kylie and Sid reckon thats not the case. They think its more to do with the quality of friends around me - I reckon thats self serving, narcissistic lollygagging on their behalf.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've had the same best friend since 8th grade.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I've been best friends with the same gal since 5th grade. I literally do not know what I would do without her. She's a good person. She bugs the hell out of me about 50% of the time, but I'm sure I annoy her alot too. We're practically sisters.

I have really great super people for friends. Honestly. They're fantastic people, and I'm reminded every day of how much these people mean to me. Maybe thats why I have trouble making new "friends"- I compare others to them!

They're just the superest.

"A good friend helps you move. A really good friend helps you move a body."

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My best friend S.S. lives in Lansing for the time being while his wife goes to law school. We've met through mutual friends have been friends since the 12th grade. It's funny that he's the only person that I can be on the phone with more than 10 minutes. We're usually on the phone for at least an hour because we only talk about once a month. We've have to cover a lot, his kids, jobs, sports, recent and old movies, our domination on the basketball courts back in Omaha, etc... When my wife first met him last fall she said "so this is the person, who can keep my husband on the phone for more than 5 minutes".
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2003
    King B is absolutely my best friend.

But girlfriends are a whole different creature. I have been extremely fortunate to have a number of really great girlfriends. Ya know the ones that have to be friends with me forever because I know stuff about them. And they owe me!

I haven't found any real great girlfriends recently, I don't have any here and wish I could make that connection with someone.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    While I was married, he was my best (only ) friend for a long time and most of our friends were friends I met through him. When things started going down hill, I reached out for some of my oldest friends and of course they were right there. I have a small group of very close girlfriends, two I have known since grade school and one for the past 10 years. I never realized just how important friends are to you until you really need them. I know that isnt what friendship is based on, its just a realization I made over the past 3 years and because of it I am sure I am a much better friend than I was in the past.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    As I read this, I called probably my best friend (a guy I've known since grade 8) and told him to hide the women and lock up the booze, Z Man is coming to town...

I have had a lot fo best friends, some we drifted by them moving away, or we just went down different paths. I have a lot of good friends too, and my Girlfriend qualifies as a best friend too! Because I spend most of my time with her and can just say or do anything around her. (Z Man can be really weird sometimes )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005

You're the best!

If you listen to me talk for any length of time, you'll hear me refer to 'my best friend in Florida', 'my best friend in Alabama' 'my best friend in Rochester', 'my best friend', and sometimes ''my boyfriend', who automatically falls into the best friend category (when he exists).
    There are a couple others who I'll call my friend, but for the most part, I don't like casual sunny-day relationships. I figure you're either worth the effort all the time, or you're not! And I won't hold it against you if you're not.

As for those in my 'best friend' category, 2 I have known since I was born - literally - 1 I met at work 5 years ago and we really didn't get along (we haven't worked together in 4 years), and the other was introduced by a mutual friend about 7 years ago (incidentally, the friend was her best friend at the time and now neither of us have spoken to her in years).

It's funny how relationships work - those people we collect and those people we discard, intentionally or not...a great topic of ponderment! (yes, it's a word)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. I have this friend, see.....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 25 Oct 2012, 12:05 PM
  2. Friend issues
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 27 Aug 2012, 8:36 PM
  3. Media: friend or foe
    Make No Small Plans