Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning world tours

Registered
    May 2005

Urban planning world tours

Hi - I'm not a formally trained urban planning 'student'....but I am curious..

1) Are students required to travel both domestically and abroad to study city layouts/places which are planned well and/or distinctively, and those not so well?

2) If yes, what cities and countries are/were you required to go to?

If no, where did you go anyway to enhance your understanding?

3) How helpful are/were those experiences in your professional career if you have obtained gainful employment...

4) Do you ever have trouble relating those experiences to someone in your office or school who haven't been to those places?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Bit of a thorny issue this one for me! On my course, at the University of Sheffield, England we were promised a field trip in the second year to a 'European Capital'. Previous years had been to Madrid, Prague etc. We ended up going to Cardiff.

Not that theres anything wrong with Cardiff; its a very nice city and some of the regenration projects and the Bay area is very interesting - its just not the trip some of us were hoping for!

Apart from that, nothing. We did of course learn about planned cities through Urban History lectures; the first planned cities in Greece etc through to setttlements created by Victorian industrial philanthropists in England (Bournville, New Lanark, Saltaire etc) and more modern pure planned areas such as New Delhi and Canberra. Just would have been nice to visit them though....

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    At Liverpool University we went to Dortmond in Germany and the surronding area. It was interesting to say the least. We mainly visited Old industrial sites which had been given new uses and some of then were rather strange. Mostly they had kept the machinery and buildings in fact but turned them into parks, museums and the like.

Of course the vast majority of it would never be useful in the UK due to health and safety regulations and the possibility of anti-social behaviour/chavness etc.

We also had a day trip to East Manchester to study an "urban village" that they are developing.

We didn't really look that much in depth at other city layout even in our Urban Design model but we did see alot of Middle East layout because our lecturer used to work there and liked flashing his work around.

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by rafflesGB
    At Liverpool University we went to Dortmond in Germany and the surronding area. It was interesting to say the least. We mainly visited Old industrial sites which had been given new uses and some of then were rather strange. Mostly they had kept the machinery and buildings in fact but turned them into parks, museums and the like.

Of course the vast majority of it would never be useful in the UK due to health and safety regulations and the possibility of anti-social behaviour/chavness etc.

We also had a day trip to East Manchester to study an "urban village" that they are developing.

We didn't really look that much in depth at other city layout even in our Urban Design model but we did see alot of Middle East layout because our lecturer used to work there and liked flashing his work around.
    Ahh Derrick Hartley. A decent bloke but crikey what a braggart.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I visited a bunch of cities and regions in the Netherlands (no long distances, so you get everywhere easily).

Furthermore trips to Scotland and Canada (Montreal and Toronto). As a planner, Canada impressed me. The way developments take place are very different, compared to here.

Quote Originally posted by circusoflife
    Hi - I'm not a formally trained urban planning 'student'....but I am curious..

1) Are students required to travel both domestically and abroad to study city layouts/places which are planned well and/or distinctively, and those not so well?

2) If yes, what cities and countries are/were you required to go to?

If no, where did you go anyway to enhance your understanding?

3) How helpful are/were those experiences in your professional career if you have obtained gainful employment...

4) Do you ever have trouble relating those experiences to someone in your office or school who haven't been to those places?
    One of my best experiences (both personally and professionally) was studying abroad as a junior on an urban studies academic program where we visited several world cities. Without question, that tour changed the way I see cities and my entire career path (and introduced me to people i followed up with for jobs) If anyone is in college and interested: www.ihp.edu

So I was very lucky- though, interestingly, my university did not accept the program and even though I was an urban studies major I go no college credit for the program- but it was my most memorable educational experience. I do not think people who have not travelled as much cannot relate though, where I have breadth of cities they may have depth of one or two places that they know very well- and that is important too.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Newbie here and to the urban planning world!
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Sep 2012, 12:31 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Feb 2009, 9:40 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 May 2006, 3:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jul 2005, 8:22 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 May 2005, 10:14 AM