Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: FOOD PORTIONS UP->food portions down

Registered
    Jul 2002

FOOD PORTIONS UP->food portions down

What is it with food portions?

Last night I went grocery shopping and saw a box of Eggo waffles for $0.99. I loved these as a kids, and bought a box. This AM I opened up the box an took out the waffles and they were tiny. I bet they had a diameter of 3.5 inches. Had these things gotten smaller or does it just appear that way since I'm "grown"

This is happening all over. Somethings are getting bigger. Can you even find a 12oz soda in the store anymore? In this area of the woods 20oz is the smallest.

And other things are getting smaller? Have you looked at the size of a Snickers Bar lately, they are smaller by a 10ths of an ounce, but now you can get a JUMBO Snickers.

Has anyone else noticed this.

Why is convienance food portions shrinking and fast food and restaurant portions skyrocketing?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    They do it with everything. Toilet paper really irks me.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    Anything with high fructose corn syrip as the first ingredient on the ingredient list is likely to be larger -- or even huge. Anything with "food" on the ingredient list is likely to be smaller.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I think with regard to Eggos, you're getting bigger. The same thing happened to me with Eggos.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Thanks for the reminder about needing to buy Eggo's for Mac. It isn't really the portion size that gets me, it is the not having toys in the sweet cereals anymore that bugs me.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    It's the plate size at mexican restaurants that blows me away. Most meals on the the menu can feed two adults --- No problemo !!!!

A case of beer is now only 20 cans -- WTF
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    20 cans? Go west Young Man. We have your 20 cans, but beer is still abundant in 24s, and 30 packs as well.

"I'll take a cube of Key(stone), my man..."
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    A case of beer is now only 20 cans -- WTF
    NO

That is very similar to this thread I started regarding a 14 oz pint.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Heh... sometimes they DO tell the truth with the food portions.... When they want to make you think that it serves 1 to 2 they label it as 1-2 (as in 1 minus 2 ) So in the end, they don't lie...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    canned foods and condensed soups average .5 to 1 oz smaller than 15 years ago.
    I am one of those consumers that has a calculator with them and figure out "price per" value. I save precious cents when I see that the 4-pack of double roll is cheaper per square than the 24 pack of single roll toliet paper.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I am one of those consumers that has a calculator with them and figure out "price per" value. -)
    Most of the grocery stores here tell you that number on the price tag on the display.

As for beer, right now in Ont there is a beer war going on in anticipation of the summber. the typical values are now 15 packs, 25 packs and 28 packs. The bestr idea ever is in NB an 8 pack. Just enough beer to do the job, and you don't have to leave any behind.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2005
    It's all about keeping the price the same. Shrink the package but keep the price the same. Later, after about 3 months, say something like "NOW 20% Larger" and increase the price a quarter.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Cartons of Breyer's ice cream became noticeably smaller several months ago; then they raised the price yet again.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Simply Orange comes in a 59 oz. clear plastic decanter, since the shape is different than a paper half gallon container they hope consumers won't notice.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Food pron
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 23 Oct 2013, 3:19 PM
  2. What food doesn't go bad?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 14 Nov 2012, 11:48 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 11:34 AM