Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AICP Quiz! Did you take it? What did you think?

Registered
    Jul 2002

AICP Quiz! Did you take it? What did you think?

Alright folks, it is the end of the first week to take the big planning quiz in the pursuit of those four letters after name, A I C P .

SO Who took the exam this week and what did you think. OH yeah and can claim to be Another Insane Community Planner?

I'll go first.

Took it monday AM for the second time. Got there at 8:30am. Was done in about 2 hours 50 minutes (you get 3.5 hours) later. Being that this is my second time around it seemed easier and much of the stuff I focused on this year Theory, Case Law, and Important dates did not show up in the high numbers the seemed to be there last year.

I also thought there were fewer story problems this year. You know the kind, "Your the planning director for a large community who wants to put a ****ters in the alley behind the ........ you get the picture.

I got a bit nervious at one point. I was in a testing center with 8 computer stations and one of the other test takers (not AICP) had their computer crash on them. I was on question 130 or something like that when I heard him say under his breath F**Kin' computer. When the computer came back up most of his answers were saved but he did have to redo the section he was on when it crashed.

Another thing that ticked me off. Last year the test had 150 questions on it. THis year 170 questions. Come to find out they had sprinkled 20 test questions throughout the test. They said wrong answers would not count against our score but they didn't give us more time .

Either I was better prepared or the test was easier. What ever it was I've got it behind me and will never have to take it again since I passed.

Well what did you think? Share your story.

and for those taking it next week good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Either I was better prepared or the test was easier. What ever it was I've got it behind me and will never have to take it again since I passed.
    Congratulations!! Go out and have a couple to celebrate!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Since our baby is due any day, I took it the first day, first slot (May 9, 9AM). I hadn't taken it before, but passed. Taking the Ohio State prep course really helped. Fortunately, I didn't have any of the computer difficulties PlannerByDay's group had. I did get really nervous near the start of it. Since my employer will reimburse the test fee if I passed, I couldn't afford to fail (literally). It seems the hard questions come in groups, but so do the easy ones. After I got to about question 130 or so, I felt better about my chances.

As soon as I finished the 170, mind-numbing questions, I started to review all my answers. But, I didn't want to change any except for a math problem I flubbed the first time, so I just hit that big [Enter] key and hoped for the best. whew!

Much of it I felt was pretty much impossible to study for; they obviously do a good job of mixing up questions. As most folks say, just "study the green bible."

Glad I don't have to do it again,
    BikePlanIt, AICP

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm taking the exam tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do, but I'm pretty confident. I've hit that 60-80 hours of study time that is recommended, and I've been to two training courses.

Wish me luck!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'm taking it next Friday. I am quite nervous - I have studied quite frequently, and I feel confident that I know the info (most of it anyway), but have a fear of failure.

How is the scoring done anyway. I know it was discussed before, but I forgot.

Congratulations BPD and BPI! (and on the upcoming baby as well ) I passed too, but literally did not know if I would when I pressed the end button. I studied many hours and took the Ohio State course, both of which paid off. The test took me 3 hours to answer all the questions and then I went back to about 25 marked questions for another 15 minutes. I felt rushed for time. All the best wishes to everyone with this still pending. I am still in decompress mode. It feels very odd to me that I wouldn't know if I had passed a test or not.???

FtD, AICP

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I'm taking it next Friday. I am quite nervous - I have studied quite frequently, and I feel confident that I know the info (most of it anyway), but have a fear of failure.

How is the scoring done anyway. I know it was discussed before, but I forgot.
    Scoring is so weird it's not useful to think about, I found. It's done on a sliding scale between 25 and 75; 55 is passing. I found that info in the AICP test info booklet they sent me after registering.

If you multiply 55 x 1.3, you get ~70 (passing). Using this contrived method of equating scores, my last practice test on Ohio State's online course came out pretty close to what I got (Ohio State 84/100, vs. AICP 62/75).

Good luck!

Registered
    May 2002
    Well, I took the exam Saturday the 14th, and like I promised, I'm letting you all know how I did.

I passed! I was surprised at my score, which was somewhat higher than I expected, but I'm not complaining.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    Well, I took the exam Saturday the 14th, and like I promised, I'm letting you all know how I did.

I passed! I was surprised at my score, which was somewhat higher than I expected, but I'm not complaining.
    Congrats! Did you celebrate when it was all over ?

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Congrats! Did you celebrate when it was all over ?
    Celebration included a golf game with my brother and two friends on an easy par three course, followed by pizza, beer, and cigars!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Am I right in guessing (from the comments here) that APA has finally broken the technology barrier and figured out how to provide the results of a computerized test on the same day it was taken?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Am I right in guessing (from the comments here) that APA has finally broken the technology barrier and figured out how to provide the results of a computerized test on the same day it was taken?
    Yep they sure have!!

Now have I got a good rant for all of you!! I was scheduled to take the silly test today @ 1:00 p.m. The testing center called last night around 8:00 p.m. while I was at a work meeting. Left a message with my mother, who was watching the boys, and told her the center closed @ 2:00 p.m. today, they needed to reschedule my test but they had a slot opened @ 8:30 a.m. this morning..so I get to work early, make a phone call, she tells me the opening was at 8:00 a.m. (AT 8:02 ) So I asked her if I could reschuedule....they have nothing open at 3 different testing centers between today and Saturday!!!! HHEEEELLLLLLOOOO why did you schedule the test for today if the friggin center closes @ 2!!!!! I am more than a little frustrated...now at some point I need to call the AICP office and ask them to extend my testing window

YIKES!

I know this is probably not helpful, but if it was me I would call the test center and let them know that I was arriving for my test at my scheduled time of 1pm. If they cannot accomodate their own schedule then that is THEIR PROBLEM, not yours. What are they doing to rectify THEIR PROBLEM?

Well, I took it today at 8:00 AM. I did pass. I almost canceled my appointment last week as I'm starting a private sector job where I won't need it. Then I figured, what the heck. It's not a bad thing to have in the back pocket.

I'm still not impressed by the subject matter. I took the OSU course but didn't spend much time in there. Luckily I've just left 7 years in the public sector and the test seemed to be slanted that direction. Possibly one or two stat questions. One FAR question. Quite a few ethics. Quite a few budgeting and process questions.

Advice: Take the OSU course and run the practice exams over and over (I only took three of them and they helped). Read the Green Book (I didn't and it would have brought my score up, I'm sure of it).

It's over!!!!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am jealous of all of you that took it and passed!! Congrats to all of you!!
    I on the otherhand will not be able to take until November The test center could not accomodate my originally schedule exam time and date and called me today (Thursday) to tell me I could take it at 8:30 a.m. Sat. morning....HHEEEELLLLLOOOOO I schedule the test at the time I was available to take it, NOT at the time they were able to seat me grr I am mad BUT it gives me some extra time to study (yeah like 6 months ) but it is not imprtant to my job or anything, just would have liked to have gotten it over with

Registered
    Aug 2001
    PASSED...ha...take that APA!

I wrote a treatise on the survey about how dissatisfied I was with national support for exam prep...thought that the glorious leaders would nix my passing for sure...but I did it. It feels good and now I need a . This was my first go at it. I hated the quiz and the material. Goes to show that you need to shell out more and more money just to know what biased opinion is on the exam.

But now, I will fall in line...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner

I wrote a treatise on the survey about how dissatisfied I was with national support for exam prep...thought that the glorious leaders would nix my passing for sure...but I did it. It feels good and now I need a . This was my first go at it. I hated the quiz and the material. Goes to show that you need to shell out more and more money just to know what biased opinion is on the exam.

CONGRATS!!!! That is great!!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I took it today and passed. Glad it's over

Registered
    Apr 2005

Well said. Ditto, I passed and I felt the same way. Made my views known on the survey for what good they did. I hate regurgitating the APA party line. But what the hell... I've regurgitated worse, I guess.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by spunky2
    I hate regurgitating the APA party line. But what the hell... I've regurgitated worse, I guess.
    NICE

Well Congrats to everyone who passed. And to everyone who took it and didn't pass, don't give up take it again in the fall.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Passed.
    I thought the content was decent. A bit easier than expected although I did study quite a bit (and it helped). Like everybody says, it's a membership exam -- not a land use aptitude test. I was just so pleased to be able to use the City of Detroit for one of my answers.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So does this mean that I am "AICP" or do I have to wait until they bill the dues?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2005
    So does this mean that I am "AICP" or do I have to wait until they bill the dues?
    It said on my score report that I would receive the "final step" for membership within 8 weeks. Not sure what that means. Any insight anyone? Since my bills go to my employer, that makes me a little nervous...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So I guess that just means that you know that you passed...and that's all. Until you pay the dues, you are still not AICP...right?

Quote Originally posted by www.planning.org/certification
    To become a certified planner and use the AICP designation, one must be a current member of the American Planning Association, submit an application meeting certain education and experience requirements, pass an examination, and be a fully paid member of APA and AICP.

So I guess that just means that you know that you passed...and that's all. Until you pay the dues, you are still not AICP...right?
    You got it. We aren't Cyburbians, AICP until they get the cash. I e-mailed AICP with the question, and received the following e-mail:
    Thank you for your e-mail.

Pass candidates receive, about four weeks after the test window closes, an AICP member dues invoice. Once you pay the dues invoice, AICP orders a member certificate and sends you a letter stating that your AICP membership is active and you can use the AICP designation following your name. You will receive your member certificate, lapel pin, and AICP Code placard approximately three weeks following your dues payment.

We hope this information is helpful.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:46 PM
  2. Take this quiz
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Jan 2005, 2:42 AM
  3. Fun quiz: How do we talk?
    Friday Afternoon Club