Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dissertation ideas

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Dissertation ideas

I have to have some ideas for my dissertation ready by the end of the summer, so while i remember, I'm looking for a little guidance.

The main strands I wish to look at are these, Planning in Canada (so I can get a grasp of the issues before I emigrate), urban fringe issues, and transport demands and effects.

Any guidance? What could i specifically look at in regards to these issues?

Dissertation Ideas

Quote Originally posted by blaghaus
    I have to have some ideas for my dissertation ready by the end of the summer, so while i remember, I'm looking for a little guidance.

The main strands I wish to look at are these, Planning in Canada (so I can get a grasp of the issues before I emigrate), urban fringe issues, and transport demands and effects.

Any guidance? What could i specifically look at in regards to these issues?

The largest project going on right now (or soon) in the city of Toronto will be the gentrification of the slum called Regent Park. They are phasing out the neighbourhood one section at a time and building all over again. I think if you looked at the mistakes of previous efforts (St. Louis) and compared their problems to the scenario in Toronto, it would make for an interesting study.

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Yorke790
    The largest project going on right now (or soon) in the city of Toronto will be the gentrification of the slum called Regent Park. They are phasing out the neighbourhood one section at a time and building all over again. I think if you looked at the mistakes of previous efforts (St. Louis) and compared their problems to the scenario in Toronto, it would make for an interesting study.
    That sounds good. I take it you mean the Ingoe-Pruitt buildings when you mean mistakes in St Louis?

Whereabouts in toronto is Regent Park?

Thanks!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Whereabouts in toronto is Regent Park?
    East downtown - Parliament and Dundas area, stretching over to River Street. It would make an interesting thesis, but perhaps you might want to do a comparison with UK examples rather than US (just to make it easier for your research). It may also be a bit premature in that, while the plan has been approved and the RFP is out for phase 1 of the redevelopment, nothing has actually physically happened yet.

A comparison of trip-making characteristics between UK and NA development may be interesting, if a bit dry. Perhaps a comparison of transport policy directions?

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    East downtown - Parliament and Dundas area, stretching over to River Street. It would make an interesting thesis, but perhaps you might want to do a comparison with UK examples rather than US (just to make it easier for your research). It may also be a bit premature in that, while the plan has been approved and the RFP is out for phase 1 of the redevelopment, nothing has actually physically happened yet.

A comparison of trip-making characteristics between UK and NA development may be interesting, if a bit dry. Perhaps a comparison of transport policy directions?

I would probably use a UK comparison, theres plenty to choose from.

What I really want to sink my teeth into is the question of integration of the urban fringe with the central city in terms of transport, in terms of both policy and actual physical development. What is Canada's urban fringe policy, in the light of increasing population migration? What is the demand for transport links in the city of Toronto, given that there is a massive commuting every day? Those kind of questions.

I just need to formulate in an original way for my tutors sake, and an interesting way for my own.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You might want to look at Green Belt Planning in both the UK (London has one right?) and the proposed Green Belt around Toronto.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    You might want to look at Green Belt Planning in both the UK (London has one right?) and the proposed Green Belt around Toronto.
    There is a national policy towards greent belt planning (planning policy guidance 2).

Toronto is proposing to have it's own green belt? As opposed to a national policy? that could be my study right there.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Toronto is proposing to have it's own green belt? As opposed to a national policy? that could be my study right there.
    The greenbelt is being proposed by the Province of Ontario. There is little to no "national" planning policy in Canada as this is within the jurisdiction of the provincial level of government.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    There is a national policy towards greent belt planning (planning policy guidance 2).

As TP said, planning in Canada is a power delegated to the provinces and the lower levels of gov't (regional and cities). The planning act outlines and empowers each levels powers. Most have been delegated to lower tiers so the Minister does not have to deal with them anymore.

For some background, here is the info that is curculating right now:

http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/userfiles/H...1_22087_1.html
    http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/userfiles/H...1_16289_1.html

As you are interested in transportation, there are lots of ramifications for roads and services in the green belt area.

There is another example around ottawa/carelton as well.

Another topic to possibly examine, related to transportation planning is sprawl and its true costs in New Brunswick.

if you have any questions on either topic, feel free to ask.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Theres about 15 green belts in England, with another 5 in Scotland. An interesting study would be the effect of the Green Belt on transport trip generation. The London one would be the best comparison in the UK since its the oldest. One strand of thought on the green belt suggests that green belts sometimes just lead to development occuring on the outer edge of the green belt and leads to mass commuting across the belt everyday.

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    All this stuff is great. I'll look into those links.

Thanks guys!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Jul 2012, 3:56 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Jan 2011, 10:46 AM
  3. Dissertation help needed
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Nov 2007, 12:06 PM
  4. Dissertation v. National Security