Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Weekend Road Trips

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Crazy Weekend Road Trips

As many of you know, this past weekend the GF, another couple, and I went on a weekend road trip to go to a friendís wedding. We drove a total of 1600 miles in 3 days. On the way there we stopped for a few hours to wonder around the Mall of America. I was nervous that I would spontaneously combust into flames as I stepped into the doorway. It was not as crazy as I thought it would be. I expected something more I guess. The theme park in the mall was a crazy idea.

The trip it self was not all that bad. My car is very comfortable to drive, and my passengers read books, and watched DVDís. (One of them brought a player) In a construction zone just out side of Chicago a dump truck kicked a rock back 5 car lengths and put a small crack into my windshield. It is nothing major, only a section about the size of a quarter, but still enough to need to have it fixed before winter.

Have you ever gone on a crazy weekend road trip? If so, what did you see, where did you go, and what did you do?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I've probably played the "Bandit" 6 times in my life with stupid road trips. My 36 to 48 hour trips include:

Emporia, Ks to ST. Louis (started at 3:00 a.m. after work with nothing but a beer jug full of change, slept under the arch and got lost in E. STL);

Emporia, KS to Lubbock, TX (it snowed and spent the entire weekend trying to avoid getting busy with a psycho slag I was trying to detach myself from...... I ended up marrying the gal we traveled with. All I remember about Lubbock was drinking white russians and crashing out on a large sectional with about 7 strangers;

Emporia, KS to San Antonio (cruised down for the downtown New Years celebration, got kicked out of one of the downtown fountains by some of SAPD's finest, got an inattentive driving ticket -- I was in someone elses car, stayed with triplet girls from my high school);

There are others, but I have to get back to work......
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I can remeber (barely) quite a few road trips when following the Dead around, but I can't go into those trips here
    I have been on a ton of road trips however, I guess the craziest wasn't intentional but probably the most memorful....
    My best friend and I had gone to Put in Bay last summer to meet up with all of her freinds from home...flew into Cleveland, had a great weekend and got back to Cleveland to catch our flight home to St. Louis...give the lady our ticket and she says " this plane left about 15 minutes ago"...we look at the tickets...we were supposed to be in Chicago @ 7, not Cleveland...long story short, we freaked out, I knew I needed to get back here for a meeting Monday night and we couldn't find a flight out until the next evening....got into a rental car and drove 12 hours home in the middle of the night...we had had a LONG weekend, both exhausted, but we made it home and laugh about it once in a while!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    A couple dudes I knew in college drove from Greeley, CO to Chicago to pick up another dude to party back in Greeley for the weekend... I didn't join the trip. Seemed pointless to me. (Going to Chicago without stopping for pizza and a Cubs game.)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Every once in awhile, I will get a craving for a particular food, which will sometimes require me to drive to great lengths in order to get that food. Once in college, I really wanted some real crawfish so a couple of friends and I jumped in the car and drove to New Orleans for some, as well as some adult beverages like a hurricane. It was a quick trip over and a quick trip back and SO worth it!

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Junior year in College (1968), five of us drive a VW bug to New Orleans from eastern North Carolina. In back of the back seat of the bug there is a well which we filled with ice and 3.2 NC beer. Don't remember much about the trip.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've done a couple of crazy weekend road trips with the bf recently.. he loves to surf and I love beaches so we seem to spend our time driving to new beaches to explore.

Most recently (Sat 30 Apr- Mon 2 May) we travelled around the top of the North Island and checked out beaches on both east and west coasts (the island is quite narrow at this point). We saw some beautiful places!

Here are a few of the beaches:

Last edited by JNL; 16 May 2005 at 6:47 PM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The only crazy road trip I remember is when I drove some friends down to Yale for the weekend to meet up with a guy I knew from high school, and he took us to his private club and got us totally s**t-faced, then took us on a car tour of New Haven to see all the transvestite prostitutes on the street corners. At some point we lost one of our party when she fell into a hedge and we continued on several blocks before we noticed she was missing.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I used to drive ridiculous distances. Once from Missoula to Souix Falls. Once from Missoula to Las Vegas, NV. I would get where I was going and could barely walk, my hips hurt so bad.

Guess my longest distance driven in one day was Missoula, MT to Jefferson City, MO. I left early in the morning and drove almost straight through, except for a short nap in a rest stop in the Souix City area. About 1,600 miles. Stupid thing was I would have kept going to West Plains, MO if I hadn't run into a snowstorm. I was young then. Crazy, really.
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 17 May 2005 at 8:50 AM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Mine of course has to do with bike racing.

Left NB after work friday (5:00PM) drove overnight to Barrie got there at 6:00am. slept for a few hours, pre rode the race course, drank for awhile, slept, raced on sunday finished racing at 4:00PM, then drove home and made it to work on time on Monday.

A few others like that.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The longest road trip I ever did in one weekend was from Oak Harbor, WA (island i the Puget Sound) to Denver and back. It was a three day weekend, but it was still brutal. Did I mention I did this by myself?

I used to go on road trips all the time in Cali... would drive from Sacto to L.A. and back regularly when I was in college. Head out right after class and make it back late on Sunday.

Don't get out to do many roadtrips these days. Mostly because it's so incredibly boring to roadtrip out here... flat and monotonous (unless you head west).

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I have done a few three-dayers in my time. Most were quickie jaunts to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Mac Bridge is 325 miles from my house). Usually would get into Yooperland, find a camp site, pop a tent, and pop some cold ones. Quite often a canoe, fishing poles, and local taverns were thrown into the blender.

Also have hit Toronto for some great three-dayers......but those were always planned out ahead, with the reservation of hotel rooms, etc.

Couple years ago did a two-dayer to Cincinnati. That was fun but we drank a little too much and struggled on the second day. (It sure is great when you can drink and NOT drive. )

Did a three-dayer to The Smokies, quite few years ago. Lots of driving, not a lot of drinking.

Over the years 235-miles-away Chi-Town has beckoned a number of times. Most trips were planned.....except for.....

About twenty (20) years ago. Cruising Toledo, early evening on a Saturday night. As we drove on Reynolds Road, under the Ohio Turnpike bridges, my wife said, "Let's go to Chicago." I quick turned onto the pike and we were night-clubbing in Chicago before midnight. We drove back right after, arriving in Toledo about eight (8) or nine (9) in the morning. (Just in time for church. )

Bottom-line.....as I get old, I get predictable and too cautious. Now the term "road trip" is either a great line from "Animal House" OR a trip to Loma Linda's, about four (4) miles from my house.

Bear, On The Road Again
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Back in '98 when I was living in Picksbarg, we left at 9 or 10 AM to go to NYC, got to NYC, had some pizza and 40 oz, and then I drove back and arrived home at 4AM. Good thing that there was rumple strips along the highway.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    rumple strips
    Ahhhhhhhh.......my eyes.....my eyes......I have been blinded.....

Bear Near The Allegheny Tunnel
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Ahhhhhhhh.......my eyes.....my eyes......I have been blinded.....

Bear Near The Allegheny Tunnel
    Are you sure your stick shift didn't jam or slip?

you pervert
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Back in '98 when I was living in Picksbarg, we left at 9 or 10 AM to go to NYC, got to NYC, had some pizza and 40 oz, and then I drove back and arrived home at 4AM. Good thing that there was rumple strips along the highway.
    That ain't gonna be nuthin' compared to our loosely planned journey to your barrio in New Mexico. Thelma and Louise will take a literary and cinemagraphic backseat to RUMPY AND BUDGIE'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE. We'll see how many fruited plains we can spoil. Rape the fields and pillage the women.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    That ain't gonna be nuthin' compared to our loosely planned journey to your barrio in New Mexico. Thelma and Louise will take a literary and cinemagraphic backseat to RUMPY AND BUDGIE'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE. We'll see how many fruited plains we can spoil. Rape the fields and pillage the women.
    I'm thinking of fall possibly. Rent a wreck for sure.

I smell a sequel............

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Second semester of my first year of college. A high school friend comes by on a Friday night and says "hey, let's got to Reno." We spent the night in the Washoe County jail drunk tank. Minors with alcohol. Scared straight.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Once in college, my friend decided he wanted to see his fiancee, who was at a archology dig near Gettysburg, PA. So, we waited until I got off work in the afternoon/early evening and drove from IU to Gettysburg. We saw the battlefield and went to Hagerstown Maryland and drove back the next day.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Not much for crazy-spontaneous road trips. I did drop everything once in university to head to Ottawa to see my girlfriend when I found out a friend was going for the the weekend. I also drove 4 hours to attend a 1 hour event, then immediately drove 4 hours back home again.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Back when in college,
    I was in a Regional Landscape History Class where we took a long weekend trip from Logan, UT to Mesa Verde N.P..
    Last edited by JNA; 17 May 2005 at 10:05 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Longest I did was Houston to OK City Friday, leaving mid-afternoon. Then from OK City to OK State U (in Stillwater) Sat morning for my cousin's graduation, then back to Houston that same day. Over 700 miles one way, done in 2 days.

And I didn't even get a thank-you card for the graduation gift I took with me.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I may have to take a mini road trip this weekend... Maybe to Nebraska... Why? Because it would bring me one state closer to all 50. No other reason, sorry Mileage... and I have live within 100 miles of the border for years now.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 1997
    If you're going from to see Nebraska, go to the Sandhills, the part most worth seeing. Have a steak at Jordan's in Valentine. Agate Fossil Beds is a good stop, too.

My road trips never seem to fit in a weekend, except for a spate of long distance dating once upon time, between northern Wyoming and Fort Collins. I remember the first one: Laramie to Chiricahua National Monument and Tucson many years ago, sleeping out in the snow at Great Sand Dunes on the way. Wolf Creek Pass, etc., etc. Going from winter in Laramie to oranges on the trees was a shock. That started a pattern that has continued. The last really crazy driving day was Ouray to Tucson just a few years ago. Oy! Since then, I have had better sense.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I have done a few three-dayers in my time. Most were quickie jaunts to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Mac Bridge is 325 miles from my house). Usually would get into Yooperland, find a camp site, pop a tent, and pop some cold ones. Quite often a canoe, fishing poles, and local taverns were thrown into the blender.
    In a few weeks I am going on vacation and I am leaving here at 5 ot 6 pm, (after work) and it is an 8 hour drive to my parents house. All of the driving will be done in the same state.

I have done this trip quite a few times, and the last 2 1/2 hours (US 2) is the longest part of the trip. Speed limit is 55 and they watch you.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 28 Aug 2006, 4:06 PM
  2. Real Old School Road Trips?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Mar 2006, 3:28 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 11 Apr 2005, 10:18 PM