Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How long you been at this racket?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

How long you been at this racket?

So today marks the one year anniversary of work at my job. Also the one year anniversary of starting my career and one year as a planner. (Well, not counting my internship)

How did I celebrate, you ask? (I don't care if you didn't ask, I'm going to tell you anyway )
    I rode my bike into work.
    I'm going to work on some GIS stuff and Planning Stuff.
    I am the Planner on Call this afternoon
    And I have a project at City Council.

Pretty good, huh? The years will fly by from now on.

How long have all of you been doing your thang? (As a planner, or whatever else)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have been at this since '98. I am in my 3rd community and have been here 4.5 years, October marks my 5th here in St. Chuck.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    In my 8th year as a planner....just passed the 5 year mark in my current position on May 15. Have my performance eval with my department head this afternoon.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

10 years and three months. Before that I had a housing-related job with a non- profit and had an internship at the same place I am now as early as 1991.

So its 1991. Another dimension of time.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    How long have all of you been doing your thang? (As a planner, or whatever else)
    I started working in the "field" (using the term broadly to include work at a housing authority) 12 years ago. I've managed to avoid burnout by finding humor in things that others would find frustrating. Not that I don't get frustrated. After the initial frustration subsides, I find the decisions and actions of others comical.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've been in planning for 20 years, August will be 10 years at my current jurisdiction.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's hard for me to judge my time in the racket. Even though I was an intern/part-time planner, I functioned as a one-man planning department before I finished my degree.

I started full-time on May 20th last year. However, I started interning on May 19, 2003 until August of 2003, when my title changed to "planner" from "planning intern".

So, depending on how you judge it, I've been at this a little over two years, a year and nine months, or I'm coming up on one year.

I'm beginning to think that Zman & I are secret clones of each other --> both in significant relationships, both moving at nearly the same time, been at the planning racket similar lengths of time, same age within four weeks, both like basketball & hockey...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Been in my current job for about 8 months. Prior to that worked for a couple of years with the Envrionment Agency (England and Wales national environmental body), then a local council in forward/strategic planning and development control, and a then a house builder. All in all been a planner for about 7 years now, since graduating in 1997 (didn't get my first job until 1998).

Finally became elected to the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) last year, which I guess is probably our equivalent of the AICP.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    It's hard for me to judge my time in the racket. Even though I was an intern/part-time planner, I functioned as a one-man planning department before I finished my degree.

I started full-time on May 20th last year. However, I started interning on May 19, 2003 until August of 2003, when my title changed to "planner" from "planning intern".

So, depending on how you judge it, I've been at this a little over two years, a year and nine months, or I'm coming up on one year.

I'm beginning to think that Zman & I are secret clones of each other --> both in significant relationships, both moving at nearly the same time, been at the planning racket similar lengths of time, same age within four weeks, both like basketball & hockey...
    CLONE ON Brother Man. I just found out in Planderella's Thread that we are the same age too.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This summer marks my 16th year as a professional planner (granted, I started when I was 19). I still love the job. The key for me is working for the right size City (40k to 80k is preferable), as it is big enough to have 'big city' issues, yet small enough that I still get to do a little of everything. I find getting pidgeon-holed into long range planning or current planning (or worse, a single type of application review in larger cities) really made me lose my interest after a few years. Now I'm back where I want to be.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I got my start in 1989, when I landed an internship agter graduation. This month I broke free to start my own consulting business. Today is the first time I will have to pay the bills and mortgage without having an income to replace the money going out.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 1997
    I began work for the Wyoming Department of Economic Planning and Development (RIP) on July 1, 1974, six weeks after leaving graduate school in Madison, having turned the opportunity to start my career in Minot, ND. I had just turned 22.

It is hard to believe it, but my 31st anniversary as a professional planner is coming up. And you know what: last night's Selectboard meeting, at which we eked out a 3-2 vote in favor of critical amendments to the town's growth management system, wasn't much different from the first meetings I staffed with elected officials trying to make difficult decisions. I don't know whether to feel like I am on a treadmill, or like I am taking part in a timeless ritual. The timeless ritual option is more positive, so we'll go with that (this morning at least).

Who else has 30 years in?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I got my start approximately 10 years ago when I entered graduate school. I've been at my current job (private sector) for 3.5 years, previous one (public sector) 2.5 years, one before that (non-profit) 1 year, and the one before that (graduate assistantship) 1 year. I guess that makes 8 years of working in the planning field.

I still like what I do, but I have been pondering my next career move.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Lee, got one more year to go before I catch up.

Registered
    Jul 2002

old f**t

Since 1979.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    one year in PA, and 1.5 years at my current job. (Will be here for another 2 to 3 years)

(total of 2.5 years thus far)
    Last edited by michaelskis; 17 May 2005 at 5:43 PM.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I graduated in '01 so I've held down a "real job" since August 2001. Before that I interned for a approximately 6 months, so I've nearly got a little over 4 years total. Not too shabby.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    held a "real" job in the planning related world since Nov 2000. two 3 month internships before that too. so in all.. a solid 5 years. wow.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Got an internship in the summer of 1988 with a local suburb, and that was my first planning job. Been working in planning ever since, and been in my current job nearly one year.

I may be one of the few Cyburbianites who has worked in the public (10 years), private (5 years) and non-profit (2 years) sectors as a planner. Anyone else?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    This month marked 1.5 years in Houston for me! Wow, for a Dallas girl this is a long time away from home.

Including internship, I've been in planning 70 months (5.8 years). Take out the internship, and you get 61 months (5.08 years). In this time I've worked up from intern to Senior Planner. The majority of this time has been in Current Planning/Development Services. Here in Houston it's a very defined line between Current and Long Range planning, so the chance of crossing over is slim. But I like the atmosphere of current planning - I deal well with deadlines and with keeping up with ordinances. It's the darn public that can get on my nerves!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2002
    About 12.5 years, public and non-profit sectors.

Seems like 20 some days...
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

June 1 will mark exactly 8 years. 5 and 1/2 in my current gig and 2 and 1/2 in my first job out of grad school.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    14+ yrs.
    two internships at the same time for 2.5 yrs.
    been in my first and current job for 12 yrs.

I was strictly GIS for 1 1/2 years, and have been a planner for almost 5 (November will mark my 5th year anniversary).

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In my eighth year employed as a planner. Internships in 1996 and 1997. More than a year of no job . Then nineteen months in Ketchikan, AK. Then almost five years here in Lewis and Clark County. . What a strange, strange trip it's been.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. How long is too long at an internship?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Apr 2013, 9:27 PM
  2. Bank overdraft racket busted
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 12 Aug 2010, 8:11 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 11 Jun 2009, 12:53 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Jun 2007, 11:53 AM
  5. Women's Clothing Racket rant