Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sports Team Introductions

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Sports Team Introductions

Last night as I was watching the Pistons game, I was fully impressed in the introductions of the players and the starting line ups. There was video, fire, music, enthusiastic announcer, flashing lights, spotlights, nicknames, and all the other elements to get the fans excited about the game. Heck, I was 130 miles away, and I was fired up for the game.

Stevie Wonder playing the National Anthem on a harmonic with a string sextet, National Guard presenting the flag, and the real basketball terminology such as the announcer saying “here comes the BALLA’S from the MOTOR CITY, THE DE…….TORIT PISTONS” added frosting to event.

What were some of the best player introduction in a sporting event that you have witnessed, in person or on TV?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The Chicago Bulls were the pioneers of over-the-top player introductions. I believe it was in the late 70s - early 80s when they began their music and spotlight intro routine.

It's a fun way to have the crowd welcome their home team and intimidate the opposition.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I really hate Ray Lewis' stupid dance after he's introduced before Ravens football games.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quite interesting this. Over the last 10 years or so introductions at football or soccer games have become more and more elaborate. This has been called, possibly unfairly, the Americanisation of football. Normally it takes the form of some pre planned music, the announcer going through the teams sometimes with stupid names etc and then the playing of the teams 'anthem'. At bigger games the fireworks and so on will come out. Its all really stemmed from the introduction of Sky and the Murdoch empire into the game.

I don't really mind all this - it helps get some of the younger fans excited, although really if you're not excited about the game anyway you shouldn't be there. The thing that does annoy me is that when some teams score, or even get a corner, the stadium announcer plays some bloody awful song and expects everyone to sing along to it. Thankfully, normally they don't.

One of the most impressive introductions is that done by the New Zealand rugby team. Before each game they perform the 'Haka', a Maori dance which is supposed to intimidate the opposition. Given the size of most Rugby players it is fairly intimidating.
    Last edited by noj; 15 Jun 2005 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Remembered the haka

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    At bigger games the fireworks and so on will come out.
    They do that from time to time in both outdoor and indoor stadiums. I have been to a few hockey games that had indoor fireworks.

I was thinking back to college days, and I think that some of the college hockey teams could do a better job at this. Something about indoor lighting adds a great opprotunity to get crazy.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I really hate Ray Lewis' stupid dance after he's introduced before Ravens football games
    I hate that too!

One of the most impressive introductions is that done by the New Zealand rugby team. Before each game they perform the 'Haka', a Maori dance which is supposed to intimidate the opposition. Given the size of most Rugby players it is fairly intimidating.
    The New Zealand "All Blacks" Haka is very cool. I tried doing some hasty searching for some video of it, but came up with nothing. But check this out!
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My favorite was the Colorado Avalache opener against the Blackhawks during the last ever NHL season.
    Lots of graphics, but the players introduced themselves, including the newly added (then) Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne.

I would like to see an older style, classy intro. I think the Leafs had one with organ music and bag pipes or something. Maybe a T.O. Cyburbian can confirm?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    Yes, I prefer classy to flashy.

Yet another reason to like Baseball.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    The Chicago Bulls intro is pretty famous (i don't think anyone would know what the alan parsons project was without it).

i agree with jordan b though, Classy > Flashy

Registered
    Dec 2003
    At Calgary Flames games I've attended, the starting lineup is introduced with players skating on to the ice between two (what else?) flamethrowers shooting jets of fire 20-30 feet into the air. You can feel the heat even in upper level of the Saddledome. Kinda impressive at first, but it gets pretty cheesy in time.

In a much more informal means of introduction, I like the Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creature's ritual of chanting each player's name in the starting lineup until they wave, tip their cap or acknowledge them in some manner. Some players raise their hand right away, others let them chant for awhile. It's fun to watch...which is about the only thing fun about watching the Yankees this year!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    At Calgary Flames games I've attended, the starting lineup is introduced with players skating on to the ice between two (what else?) flamethrowers shooting jets of fire 20-30 feet into the air. You can feel the heat even in upper level of the Saddledome. Kinda impressive at first, but it gets pretty cheesy in time.

In a much more informal means of introduction, I like the Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creature's ritual of chanting each player's name in the starting lineup until they wave, tip their cap or acknowledge them in some manner. Some players raise their hand right away, others let them chant for awhile. It's fun to watch...which is about the only thing fun about watching the Yankees this year!
    The Yankee Bleacher crowd is a subculture in its own. My one and only visit to the House that Ruth Built, I was given the business because I had my trusty St. Louis Cardinals hat on. They weren't even playing the Cardinals, they were playing the Twins. They also thought my friend MW was Yankee reliever, Jeff Nelson. Like Jeff Nelson would really sit in the bleachers with a Paul O'Neill jersey on. Those bums.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    Yeah, the Oilers come on to the ice under a giant oil derrick and think there are flames involved. And in the beginning they have some really cheesy animated short on the big screen in the middle of Rexall Centre. I think what makes it even worse is the background music "Kickstart my Heart" or something like that. Like *that's* going to get the crowd all fired up. Bleh.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    Like Jeff Nelson would really sit in the bleachers with a Paul O'Neill jersey on. Those bums.
    Nellie always wears a Thurman Munson jersey...geez, everyone knows that!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    No mention of the Patriot's team intros at the Super Bowls?
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner
    I hate that too!

The New Zealand "All Blacks" Haka is very cool. I tried doing some hasty searching for some video of it, but came up with nothing. But check this out!
    The prep rugby team I played for did the huka before every "big" match. We had an exchange with a prep school in new Zealand and they taught it to us. At the prep level, it always intimidated the opposing team. "kam a te kam a te cora cora . . ." The haka is a spiritual chant that is intended to awaked the ancestors so that they can join you before a battle.

Completely off topic: the all blacks got their name due to a misprint in an article about rugby. They played in a tournament and for one reason or another, had no forwards (there are forwards and backs in Rugby), so they played with only their backfield players, the article should have read all backs.

My favorite dance of all time was TO's imitation of Ray Lewis. Absolutely classic

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by statler
    No mention of the Patriot's team intros at the Super Bowls?
    That's because they're not "interesting" to the general sports fan. The Pats are too "boring." Fine with me, as long as they keep winning!

Funny how other teams have copied it since the first Super Bowl win in 01.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Yes, I prefer classy to flashy.

Yet another reason to like Baseball.
    For most things I would agree, but I think that sports into's are to get the fans worked up and loud. There is not much of a home field/court/ice advantage if the place is quiet.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Even though this Bear is a University of Michigan Wolverines booster, our fans at "The Big House" tend to be less enthusiastic than some of the other Big Ten teams. Ohio State Buckeye fans (grrrrr... ) really make a racket, especially when their band has the tuba player "dot the i" as they do a script Ohio out on the field. You don't have to be a Buckeye fan to appreciate the neat atmosphere of college football when the band does that.

The Wolverines bust through a giant "M" (a circle made out of paper) as they are racing on the field. That gets the fans going for awhile but eventually they settle down and enjoy their wine and cheese party.

Wisconsin is great to watch from afar, such as the Goodyear blimp view. They all wear red (and, no it is not Nebraska red) and jump up and down, almost in unison. Seeing about 80,000 red-clothed Badgers jumping in unison is a sight.

I love college football, whether the teams are being introduced (as per this thread) or just carrying-on during the course of the game.

Go Blue!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Too bad the stars of rezoning don't get introduced that way: "Here is the staff!!! TN has shown her tendencies to disallow rezones along highway XXX. TN has effectively blocked rezones based on historical structures." "Sisterceleste has concurrency concerns. ZG is presenting with trails options..."

What, rezoning isn't considered to be a sport?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    What, rezoning isn't considered to be a sport?
    Have you forgotten the "zoning defense"?

I would ask the same question about the folks in the world of non-planning, at their specific business. We just don't get the fame and recognition that sports figures do, so no big intro.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Have you forgotten the "zoning defense"?

Bear
    I implemented this very game plan this morning...!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Jun 2011, 4:03 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Sep 2006, 5:06 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Apr 2004, 12:23 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last post: 06 Aug 2003, 1:41 PM
  5. Introductions first