Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan Laefest Discussion Thread.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I really like Conor O'Neills - we always used to go there during grad school, and spent many nights drinking cider and flirting with the staff It opens at 11:30 a.m.

Not sure what anyone else thinks of it, but its a thought. Other than that place, I am not too familiar with downtown A2.

I agree that we should have it relatively early (early afternoon-ish). That way we can all get there, enjoy some cocktails, maybe go for a walk, and then have some more cocktails and not have it be too late.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I didn't know they had a Connor O'Niell's in Ann Arbor. If you guys go there, I will go to the one in Fort Collins and be at the Michigan Laefest in Spirit!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My hangouts back in the day were Ann Arbor Brewing Company (www.arborbrewing.com) and Grizzly Peak. Both are right downtown just a block off Main Street. Conor O'Neils sounds interesting too. Isnt that the bar right on the west side of Main Street near Liberty? I've never been to Leopold's. I am fine with whatever the group chooses - as long as there is alcohol, I am

FYI - On June 9th, A2 Brewing has a Pilsner Beer Tasting event from 7-9 p.m.
    urbanchik

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hi falutes, I like Georges Huron Inn and the Nickle

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Hi falutes, I like Georges Huron Inn and the Nickle
    Your into real classy places eh Just kidding - I haven't been to the Nickle in ages! Oh the stories I could tell about that place. Never made it to Georges though. Awww! I miss Ypsi....

Quote Originally posted by urbanchik
    Conor O'Neils sounds interesting too. Isnt that the bar right on the west side of Main Street near Liberty?
    Yep, sure is. They have great live entertainment, or at least they used to. They have great cider - yum!

Quote Originally posted by urbanchik
    I am fine with whatever the group chooses - as long as there is alcohol, I am
    Me too!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I only went to the nickle a few times, I was always too old for the place, but it beat Theo's. I never lived on campus and commutted from Detroit.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Want classy places?? at least I did not suggest Leggs, Lucielles or Club Canton!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Want classy places?? at least I did not suggest Leggs, Lucielles or Club Canton!
    Booby Trap?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, it looks like I and my wife will be in Ann Arbor 6/18, so if that date is the day then I'll plan some walking tours of central Ann Arbor and Central Campus....maybe we can even go to the dreaded North Campus....
    Eero Saarinen designed it, so it must be great.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    A2 it is. Let’s say we meet at 11am someplace in the campus town area? I will let one of the others pick the location. We can also give out a cell number or two incase people are going to meet up with us later, and we can give them location!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002

I just realized that Fathers Day is the next day and given the plans I already have I will not be able to make it to the A2 laefest.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay

I just realized that Fathers Day is the next day and given the plans I already have I will not be able to make it to the A2 laefest.
    (That was the reason not to have it on the 19th)

Can you make it for a while during the day or maybe meet up with us that night?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make it. I have Pilates class that night.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make it. I have Pilates class that night.

That's about the flimsiest excuse I ever heard. Why not just hop on a "red eye", fly on over, drop down at Detroit Metro (just a half hour from A-2), and have a quick drink?

It's only about a 10,000 mile round trip. Piece of New Zealand cake.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    With apologizes to Budgie .....

Tick, tick, tick.....only twenty-four (24) days (and counting) until the Great Meeeeshigan Laefest.....baring, of course, unforseen tragedy, general social disruptions, and per diem, too.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    (That was the reason not to have it on the 19th)

Can you make it for a while during the day or maybe meet up with us that night?
    My Dad lives on lake Michigan and we traditionally go there for early brunch 11:00am and spend the day hanging out on the beach and around the house. If I went to AA Mrs. PBD and I would spend the night as we can't have only one or two beer at such an event, that would not give the right impression.

We'll see what we can work out but no promises.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    For what it's worth, Alests traditionally take place at brewpubs and beer bars where the background noive level is not disruptive to normal conversation.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    .....baring, of course, unforseen tragedy, general social disruptions, and per diem, too.
    You forgot unforeseen paradigm shifts.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bumpy and I might be able to make it.....who can pick us up at the Detroit airport? We'll be wearing brown shoe laces and be gassed from southern moonshine.....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Bumpy and I might be able to make it.....who can pick us up at the Detroit airport? We'll be wearing brown shoe laces and be gassed from southern moonshine.....
    Are you serious about being there. I am sure Detroit airport has many individuals who are in the state you described. I am sure that we could find someone to pick you up.

Registered
    May 2003
    OK, so I was telling the little woman about The Michigan Laefest. I flipped on some gallery images from past fests. I smiled.

She smiled back, saying, "Are you going to be the only person there who is NOT a planner?"

I grinned. "Yeah," comes out of my mouth, somewhat sheepishly.

And she says, "Sooooo......we are going to Ann Arbor to be with people you met on the internet. You are not a planner. Are these your little imaginary fairy tale friends?"

I need a beer.

Bear & Katie
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Just tell her that giff is 90% sure he is driving from Iowa to Atlanta, then joining his oldest, closest friend and her hubby and riding to Saint Augustine for a pub crawl benefit for Parkinson's disease (she was diagnosed in her mid 20's), in July no less.... Yeah, that will make it sound better.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    You won't be able to miss us at the airport. RJ will be wearing a Mister Roger's sweater with plaid pants and platform shoes. I'll be wearing a pink shirt with a pink carnation and snake skin boots. My brother is going to school out there, so this will be another excuse to visit.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    You won't be able to miss us at the airport. RJ will be wearing a Mister Roger's sweater with plaid pants and platform shoes. I'll be wearing a pink shirt with a pink carnation and snake skin boots. My brother is going to school out there, so this will be another excuse to visit.
    Don't gig me on the pants and shoes, dude. My mom gave me those. And I'm happy for you that you're comfortable wearing pink.

And get the revised memo to Elliot tomorrow morning!!! Yank the old one and clean your e-files out too because this is headed toward litigation. Understand?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I need a beer.
    First of all, if you need a beer -- go to a laefest... Secondly, remember what AICP really stands for. You belong at a laefest. My only regret is that you're not at one I am attending in the near future.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 10 Oct 2006, 6:02 PM
  3. The Great Toledo Laefest Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22