Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Laefest Discussion Thread.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make it. I have Pilates class that night.
    I am sure that I can arrange a place in Michigan for you do to your Pilates.

Just make sure you fly into Detroit and not Chicago this time.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am sure that I can arrange a place in Michigan for you do to your Pilates.

My health club is only 15 minutes from DTW, it offer pilates. What level do you want me to sign you up for?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Are you sure that is a good idea? Isn't that where RichmondJake and Rumpy are flying into? There could be problems.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Looks like I have confused the dates for the family event(it is the 25-26), I'll talk to the GF, TP and the Mrs. to see if they are up for a road trip.

Any suggestions for a B&B in Ann Arbor?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Looks like I have confused the dates for the family event(it is the 25-26), I'll talk to the GF, TP and the Mrs. to see if they are up for a road trip.

Any suggestions for a B&B in Ann Arbor?
    Here are some

Just remember we are meeting up on June 18th!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was lurking this thread and thinking that it would be a great trip on the new high speed ferry / road trip combo. Then in a flury of insanity I am suddenly moving into a new house and, good god, there is a vacuum sound coming from my wallet right now. Sorry guys, gott pass.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    After looking online, I think I might have to pass. There must be some conference in town, since there are very few rooms available in the area, and those I can find that allow pets are $150 a night and up. $161 a night at the Hampton Inn? $152 at the Best Western? $175 at the Hawthorn Inn? I really want to see you guys, but I can't afford to pay the extortion-like rates of hotels in the Ann Arbor area.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I really want to see you guys, but I can't afford to pay the extortion-like rates of hotels in the Ann Arbor area.
    Ditto, plus a few other things/reasons have identified themselves.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    After looking online, I think I might have to pass. There must be some conference in town, since there are very few rooms available in the area, and those I can find that allow pets are $150 a night and up. $161 a night at the Hampton Inn? $152 at the Best Western? $175 at the Hawthorn Inn? I really want to see you guys, but I can't afford to pay the extortion-like rates of hotels in the Ann Arbor area.
    Dan.....not sure if this helps, but Dundee, MI, has a slew of rooms in the area of the giant Cabela's Outdoor Store, on US 23, about fifteen (15) miles south of Ann Arbor. I would think that places that cater to hunters and fisherpeople would also allow doggies. I have no idea on pricing.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Dan.....not sure if this helps, but Dundee, MI, has a slew of rooms in the area of the giant Cabela's Outdoor Store, on US 23, about fifteen (15) miles south of Ann Arbor.
    Everything is still in the mid-to-high $100s. There's rooms in Monroe, but again they're expensive considering the location (close to $100), and too far away.

Something is going on that weekend for the rooms to be that expensive.
    The following weekend, rates are a bit more reasonable; not cheap, but in the $80-$110 range. It can't be because of Father's Day, because rates are much cheaper outside of Ann Arbor.

If the cost is causing many people to drop out, would anyone be interested in moving the event date?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    If the cost is causing many people to drop out, would anyone be interested in moving the event date?

I would be fine with that.

Registered
    May 2003
    June 18th still works best for this Bear. Later in June we have grad--e-ations, another reunion of sorts, and the Cancer Walk. July dates are all open, except for July 4th weekend.

I'm Easy.

(Sung by Keith Carradine in the movie, "Nashville".)

Bear At Acropolis Minor
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Other places to try for hotel rooms: Detroit Metro Airport, Plymouth HIlton Garden Inn, Ypsi Marriot, Chelsea, Dundee (Bear's suggestion) and Milan.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Other places to try for hotel rooms: Detroit Metro Airport, Plymouth HIlton Garden Inn, Ypsi Marriot, Chelsea, Dundee (Bear's suggestion) and Dundee.
    Detroit Metro Airport - too far away
    Plymouth HIlton Garden Inn - above $150/night
    Ypsi Marriot - above $200/night
    Chelsea - above $150/night
    Dundee - above $150/night

APA national conference room rates for four and five star hotels are cheaper.

I'd like to stay close, so I can tour Ann Arbor before the laefest, and have a short cab ride to the hotel room if I don't feel comfortable driving. My dogs travel with me, so hotels and b&bs need to be dog-friendly; usually not a problem out West, but east of the Mississippi things are less dog-friendly.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Detroit Metro Airport - too far away
    Plymouth HIlton Garden Inn - above $150/night
    Ypsi Marriot - above $200/night
    Chelsea - above $150/night
    Dundee - above $150/night

APA national conference room rates for four and five star hotels are cheaper.

I'd like to stay close, so I can tour Ann Arbor before the laefest, and have a short cab ride to the hotel room if I don't feel comfortable driving. My dogs travel with me, so hotels and b&bs need to be dog-friendly; usually not a problem out West, but east of the Mississippi things are less dog-friendly.
    Holy smokes! Is the all star game that weekend?!? How about a NASTCAR event at Michigan Speedway? I'd hate to spend that kind of dough to be stuck in a hotel full of mulletheads. The inclusion of the cabbing it back makes most of those locations (except Ypsi) too darned far.

no to All star game (early July as typical). Yes to Nascar, looks like the mother of all nascar events. Its the Batman Begins 400 and the Craftsman Truck Series race weekend. Back to K-zoo with the lot of you. I'm not crossing I-94 that weekend!

Registered
    May 2003

Fest "On" Or "Re-Scheduled"?

Not much chatter going on concerning the planned Michigan Laefest (6-18). What's the story?

Are we still ON or do we do a re-schedule, to help out those that were turned-off by a weekend with high motel prices? Nascar......humpfr.........

Balance of June not good for this Bear, but if it would work for others, don't let my EXCLUSION BECAUSE NOT A PLANNER hinder your thought process in anyway.

Don't forget.....Michigan International Speedway also has an open-wheel event in the middle of summer (not NASCAR but the vehicles still go around in circles real fast) and another NASCAR event later in the summertime. Rooms during those weekends will probably be the same as next weekend.

Plus.....what is considered the best art fair in the land.....The Ann Arbor Art Fair.....is coming up, also......not sure of exact date......July, me thinks. The crowds at that event number in the hundreds of thousands.

I need to know because I wanted to get my hair done.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    For weeks I have marveled at the fact that this is billed as a "discussion" thread. You can discuss all you like but you will never out do a FLaefest or Annual Sunflower Laefest, so why don't you all go home an fiddle with your little mouses (oh, I mean mice).
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    For weeks I have marveled at the fact that this is billed as a "discussion" thread. You can discuss all you like but you will never out do a FLaefest or Annual Sunflower Laefest, so why don't you all go home an fiddle with your little mouses (oh, I mean mice).
    Is there a "point" to your comment? Folks in this area have oth......oh, hold on.....dropped my mouse and had to pick it back up.......

Uncle Ernie
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Uncle Ernie
    Off-topic:
    Would that be from The Who's Tommy ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Off-topic:
    Would that be from The Who's Tommy ?
    JNA , can you hear me?
    See me.....feel me.....touch me.....heal me.....

You are correct. You already knew that.

Bear Playing Pinball
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Folks, it's getting down to the wire. We should pick a place and time pretty soon. I'm definitely in for June 18.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Folks, it's getting down to the wire. We should pick a place and time pretty soon. I'm definitely in for June 18.
    Same here. I will not be staying the night... or drinking much if any, but the GF and I will be able to be there.

Who will be there, and any locals have recomendations as to a good place to meet?

If we have a total of 5 it is game on.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Same here. I will not be staying the night... or drinking much if any, but the GF and I will be able to be there.

Who will be there, and any locals have recomendations as to a good place to meet?

If we have a total of 5 it is game on.

We will decide at 8am on 6/15/05 (EST) and anounce it at 9am (EST) so you can get to your computers....

Registered
    May 2003
    Sorry, all, the 18th is out for me. My parents are coming from Iowa for the weekend. Would be up for another date, and would also be interested in something less formal for the immediate SW Michigan area. Keep me informed.

Bummer.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    May 2003

Bear & Katie IN

This Bear and his charming wife Katie are IN for the Double-A Fest-O-Ville-Of-Lae. Katie has something going on in the morning so we will probably roll into Ann Arbor about 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM.

If spouses or significant others count, we are at five (5), as of 5:46 Eastern Michael Jackson's Gonna See Daylight Time........3:34 AM if you are in certain parts of Indiana.

If they don't count we still need more commits.

When Katie and this Bear arrive at whatever location we pick, we will NOT make our presence known. We will check you out and see if you are all geeks. Oh, wait a second. I'm a geek, too. Never mind.

Can I wear my plaid shorts with black socks ovre the kneecap, with penny loafers on my feet? I sooooo want to be cool. You know, like Budgie .

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 9:37 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 10 Oct 2006, 5:02 PM
  3. The Great Toledo Laefest Thread