Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best city for yuppies

Registered
    Mar 2005

Best city for yuppies

What American city do you think is the most attractive to the yuppie crowd?

Quote Originally posted by bross
    Any place with a Starbucks and a Hummer Dealership.

Registered
    May 2003
    San Francisco. It's too expensive for anyone else.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    San Francisco is too expensive for yuppies, now. If, by yuppie you mean a young, relatively new professional. Such a person, lacking a big nest egg of equity, cannot enter most SF neighborhoods' real estate markets.

We need a comment from Super Amputee Cat on this question

Registered
    May 2003
    If daddy can pay for a communications degree from CMU, he can pay for an apartment in the tenderloin too.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    San Francisco is too expensive for yuppies, now. If, by yuppie you mean a young, relatively new professional. Such a person, lacking a big nest egg of equity, cannot enter most SF neighborhoods' real estate markets.

We need a comment from Super Amputee Cat on this question
    I would put Chicago at or near the top of that list. I was poking around in that area a few days ago and the Kenwood section (the area just north of Hyde Park), a place that was an urban no-mans land as recently as 10 years ago, is in the midst of a residential building boom. It is all new and rehab 'yuppy' brownstones and condos.

A friend of mine who grew up in Chicagoland (now lives near Los Angeles) commented shortly afterward that he thinks that with the demise of the Stateway Gardens and Robert Taylor CHA projects (they were the ugly buildings along the east side of the Dan Ryan Expressway - I-90/94), the area between Kenwood/Hyde Park and the Dan Ryan and south of the IIT campus may be the next 'yuppification' target. That area has tremendous access (the Dan Ryan and two CTA rapid transit lines) and lots of rehabbable buildings and vacant land.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Washington, DC has to be on that list. I still don't know how all of these yuppies are able to afford housing in DC specially in upper NW along the Wisconsin and Connecticut Ave corridors.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat

Austin, TX. I think I could throw a football from Starbucks to Starbucks on South Congress beginning with Town Lake and working my way toward the capital. I think there are six on that road within about 20 blocks. In Texas we love big things. The Hummer is big, therefore, we love it. It's quite fun watching one of those Hummers try to navigate downtown looking for a parking space!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Our yuppies don't drive Hummers, they favor Hondas, VWs, BMWs and Audis. Hummers are reserved for Eurotrash.

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    That is why I wound nominate Philadelphia (Center City, Art Museum District, University City). It is a true yuppie paradise (lounges, upscale clothing stores, pompous cafes, affordable housing, medical and financial jobs, cereal bars, etc.) Now, if they could just get rid of those pesky poor minorities ringing the downtown area.
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 25 Apr 2005 at 11:14 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    If daddy can pay for a communications degree from CMU, he can pay for an apartment in the tenderloin too.

Too true And, Biff or Buffy will be in for a nice little surprise when they get there.

I'm middle aged, so I think of "ownership housing" A condo in "Lower Nob Hill" or "Civic Center" will still run you $300K.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by bross
    Denver was loaded with yuppies. Forget the "cowtown" reputation; Denver is loaded with Starbucks outlets, high-end restaurants, grovery stores like Whole Foods and Wild Oats, and very expensive urban neighborhoods; there's not much left to gentrify. The population includes a large percentage of healthy, attractive, athletic Type A folks, and SUV ownership per capita is the highest in the United States. Smooth jazz oozes from every nook and cranny; for a while I lived in an apartment complex that piped in smooth jazz at the pools and in the laundry rooms. Many of the people I met while I was there moved from cities like Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago.

* Former warehouse district filled with upscale nightspots and unaffordable lofts? Check.
    * 900 square foot bungalows that have kitchens equipped with granite countertops, Sub-Zero refrigerators, Viking stoves and Miele dishwashers? Check.
    * Typical small chat that includes sports, weather, and the hot neighborhood of the week? Check.
    * More northern Italian trattorias than southern Italian red-sauce joints? Check.

As an example of Denver's yupscaleness, take a look at a pretentious Westword restaurant review.

I think Denver is a wonderful city, offering a near-perfect climate, an excellent quality of life, and unparalleled diversions to keep one's mind and body occupied. It's easy on the eyes, and it has few of the problems of a typical American metropolis. However, there has been noplace else where I felt like such a fish out of water than the Mile High City.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Our yuppies don't drive Hummers, they favor Hondas, VWs, BMWs and Audis. Hummers are reserved for Eurotrash.
    Please sir, whats a 'Hummer'?

I have a fair idea of what one is (ie a bloody great big people carrier/4 by 4) but I'm afraid to say I don't really know.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    Off-topic:

Please sir, whats a 'Hummer'?

I have a fair idea of what one is (ie a bloody great big people carrier/4 by 4) but I'm afraid to say I don't really know.
    You've never heard of the Hummer? I suppose they are few and far between in England. The ones people are buying now are based on a military vehicle called the Humvee, a few years ago GM bought them and started producing the H2 which I believe is based on other GM SUVs but made to look like the army vehicle.

Here's their website: http://www.hummer.com/

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Hummer = Humvee. Big big big suv. looks like a cross between a HGV and an aricraft carrier. Gets about 10 metres to the gallon. Most rappers seem to possess one. Which means they are thin on the ground round my way. Makes a land rover discovery look like a sinclair C5.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    You've never heard of the Hummer? I suppose they are few and far between in England. The ones people are buying now are based on a military vehicle called the Humvee, a few years ago GM bought them and started producing the H2 which I believe is based on other GM SUVs but made to look like the army vehicle.

Thanks jsk. Mmmmm..........they look beautiful . Having looked at the website, I think I probably have seen one before but I probably thought it was the Army on manoeuvres.

I like to see one of them try and get round a multi-storey car park

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983

Also, the Hummer H1 is a civilian version of the ombiquitous US Military HMMWV, same size, same construction and performance standards, just with the civilian interior and toys. They have a fuel efficiency that is deep into the double-digits L/100km range.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2003
    DC is not that unaffordable unless you think you need a single-family house.

Oh sure, it's not the cheapest city around, but there are plenty of apartments to be had for between $1,000 and $1,500/month - well within the yuppie price range.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cirrus
    DC is not that unaffordable unless you think you need a single-family house.
    ...and you only want to live in NW, Montgomery County or Alexandria.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Not so Jmello. Cirrus and I both live in the inner ring burbs-there are places, nice places in Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax, McLean etc.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Not so Jmello. Cirrus and I both live in the inner ring burbs-there are places, nice places in Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax, McLean etc.
    I should have added Arlington and inner-Fairfax counties as well.

My point is: If race was not such a big issue, white yuppies could find plenty of affordable housing in the DC area.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    There nice places to live all over DC. Even the neighborhoods that are in 'transition' aren't cheap. I think cities like DC, San Francisco, Manhattan, Los Angeles, etc... are turning into the European model of cities. Meaning, the less affluent and poor live in the suburbs instead of the central city.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2002
    That does seem to be the way its working out, the closer in the higher the price, Though I am willing to pay the price to live in a walkable 1940s area. I get the best of both worlds thus willing to pay out the nose for it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Yuppie cities - cities dominated by suburban growth in the past 15 years and high-tech economies in the edgeless employment centers made up of office parks:

Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Raleigh
    Dallas
    Washington
    Denver
    Seattle
    San Jose
    San Diego
    Austin

Or am I looking too much into sunbelt cities?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I don't seem to view what you guys describe as yuppies with such derision.

Starbucks is the or one of the fastest growing outlets in the world; SUV's the most popular and fastest growing car category, lots of people like jazz...obviously not ONLY yuppies are patronizing them...

I guess maybe I am a yuppie. But If I wasn't, what are my other options? by label, I mean...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    Yuppie cities - cities dominated by suburban growth in the past 15 years and high-tech economies in the edgeless employment centers made up of office parks?
    I don't know. In the 1980s, when the term "yuppie" came into vogue, it was used to describe a "young urban professional" - an affluent professional who lives in the inner city, possibly a questionable neighborhood that may be on the verge of revitalization. For example:

Stockbroker living in Lincoln Park - yuppie.
    Stockbroker living in Schaumburg - not a yuppie.

Investment banker living in Hell's Kitchen - yuppie.
    Investment banker living in Westchester County - not a yuppie.

Culturally, there's a big difference between the greed yuppies of the 1980s and the dot-com yuppies of the 1990s and 2000s. Greed yuppies were primarily urban. Dot com yuppies may be urban or suburban, but when they're in the suburbs they're usually in older villages or streetcar suburbs, but only if they're "hot" and still maintain their historic fabric.

Front-end e-business synerger living in a once-burnt-out house in Detroit - yuppie
    Front-end e-business synerger living in Royal Oak - yuppie.
    Front-end e-business synerger living in Novi - not a yuppie.

Strategic supply-chain envisioneer living in a former warehouse in Cleveland - yuppie.
    Strategic supply-chain envisioneer living in Chagrin Falls - yuppie.
    Strategic supply-chain envisioneer living in Solon - not a yuppie.

Cross-platform global channel architect living in an 800 square foot bungalow in Denver - yuppie.
    Cross-platform global channel architect living in Golden - yuppie.
    Cross-platform global channel architect living in Highlands Ranch - not a yuppie.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Yuppies: who were they?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 1:30 PM
  2. Townies vs. Yuppies, Part II
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 07 Oct 2005, 11:00 PM
  3. Replies: 23