>and they are stupid."
    >
    >--President Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1952
    >
    Yeah right...source please.

Registered
    May 2003
    Another source says:

"This [the original quote posted] is one of several abridged versions circulating online of an actual statement by President Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961). The original passage, from a letter Eisenhower wrote to his brother Edgar on November 8, 1954, went as follows:

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

If he were alive today, however, Eisenhower — a committed, if comparatively moderate, Republican — would surely object to the way his words are being used."
    Last edited by Wulf9; 19 May 2005 at 2:11 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Wulf9

If he were alive today, however, Eisenhower — a committed, if comparatively moderate, Republican — would surely object to the way his words are being used."
    So, you are saying Ike believed more in party loyalty than principles?

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    So, you are saying Ike believed more in party loyalty than principles?
    Nope. I'm not saying anything. I just posted two quotes.

The first Ike quote is from a progressive site.

EG asked for a source, so I googled around a bit to see if I could find a source. The second appears to identify a source. I still can't vouch for either.

The second appears to be a conservative site -- saying that Ike probably didn't mean what he said.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Yeah right...source please.
    I am surrounded by Eisenhower historians. I will be glad to find the definitive source of thsi quote...... if you deem it necessary.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    Another source says:

"This [the original quote posted] is one of several abridged versions circulating online of an actual statement by President Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961). The original passage, from a letter Eisenhower wrote to his brother Edgar on November 8, 1954, went as follows:

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

A quick e-mail to a buddy of mine, who happens to the the Chief Archivist at the Eisenhower Center, should be able to provide me a PDF of the letter. Shall I ask?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    May 2003
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/ike.asp

For all intensive purposes, this is true.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Currently my Grandmother would not be affected because she is 55 years old. As for the other persons that are listed in your information, that is why there is still 8% going into the current system.
    Well, as long as your grandmother isn't affected I guess it's okay...

That 8% will not cover the costs of the system, the difference will just be extra money that we will all be taxed. You may have heard this before, "Free lunches are never free"

Now, to get back to Ike quotes:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...dei112029.html
    Last edited by iamme; 19 May 2005 at 5:07 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    I started this thread largely to point out what a moderate Republican of the 1950's was like. Eisenhower was a president who saw his role as a leader and protector of the republic. I believe he would be appalled by the current leadership and policies, particularly the idea of preemptive war and the pro-business assault on social safety nets.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Moderator note:
    I moved the discussions of SS to the social security thread.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by iamme
    ...."Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
    We can quote dead guys out of context all day long. How about a quote from one of America's formost conservative thinkers?

Give a man a fish and you have fed him for a day. Give a man a pistol and some ammo and he can take away the fish you gave that one guy, and all the rest of the fishes you got. Plus, that's a nice watch you got there. Gimme.

Registered
    May 2003
    We can quote dead guys out of context all day long. How about a quote from one of America's formost conservative thinkers?

So if it's so out of context, please correct me. Post the context of it if I am so mis-guided in my interpretation as to its relevance.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    ..... Americans won't save enough during their working years to prevent an increasingly impoverished elderly population.......
    It wouldn't matter how much Americans save. The amazing and wonderful conservative thinkers would find a way to wipe out your savings as a means to empower larger business entities and enrich themselves.

For instance, the judge presiding over United's bankruptcy, allowed United to walk away from thier pension obligations. Any good conservative will tell you that SS is not intended to be a retirement plan (because they do want you to eat Alpo in your old age), but then they will allow a business entity to destroy personal investments outside of the SS system. Thus forcing you to eat a double helping of Alpo. The golden parachutes for the execs will still be good as gold, but worker pensions? Gone! withdraw from your pension to float you during retraining or to find new employment? Wait, can't do that, CAUSE IT"S GONE!

NNNNIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEE!

Watch other dominoes fall around pension plans soon.

You can get large sacks of dogfood at sams for cheap!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Just going to re-quote FDR since my last quote from a old dead guy was moved... (also because he created the program mentioned in the first quote)

The enactment of the Social Security Act marked a great advance in affording more equitable and effective protection to the people of this country against widespread and growing economic hazards. The successful operation of the Act is the best proof that it was soundly conceived. However, it would be unfortunate if we assumed that it was complete and final. Rather, we should be constantly seeking to perfect and strengthen it in the light of our accumulating experience and growing appreciation of social needs.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Since we cannot stop talking about SS

Thread Closed
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wisdom of our Fathers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 9:37 PM
  2. The wisdom of youth
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Aug 2013, 9:41 AM
  3. The Repository of All Wisdom