Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Construction Ordinances - Noise, etc.

Construction Ordinances - Noise, etc.

Do any cities have a comprehensive ordinance that covers issues such as noise, hours of construction, parking, dust abatement, etc.? Our Council wants to develop an ordinance to ensure that construction does not negatively affect quality of life.
    Thanks.

This regulates the hours that construction can take place:

Construction or repair of buildings.
    The erection (including excavation), demolition, alteration or repair of any building, as well as the operation of any pile driver, steam shovel, pneumatic hammer, derrick, steam or electric hoist, or any other similar equipment attended by loud or unusual noise, other than between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekdays; provided, however, the Building Inspector shall have the authority, upon determining that the loss of inconvenience which would result to any party in interest would be extraordinary and of such nature as to warrant special consideration, to grant a permit for a period necessary within which time such work and operation may take place within the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

Also, some erosion control requirements can be found here (too large to cut and paste):

http://www.glendale-wi.org/ordinances/title15.pdf

Page 44, Section 15.2
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    This regulates the hours that construction can take place:

Construction or repair of buildings.
    The erection (including excavation), demolition, alteration or repair of any building, as well as the operation of any pile driver, steam shovel, pneumatic hammer, derrick, steam or electric hoist, or any other similar equipment attended by loud or unusual noise, other than between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekdays; provided, however, the Building Inspector shall have the authority, upon determining that the loss of inconvenience which would result to any party in interest would be extraordinary and of such nature as to warrant special consideration, to grant a permit for a period necessary within which time such work and operation may take place within the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

Also, some erosion control requirements can be found here (too large to cut and paste):

http://www.glendale-wi.org/ordinances/title15.pdf

Page 44, Section 15.2
    damn smileys
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    And make sure you get them to clean the mud up off the street at the end of the day. Nothing irks me more when I get dirt all over my truck when driving past construction sites.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 1:46 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 11:15 AM
  3. noise and density
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 8:01 AM
  4. Help! There's this noise...
    Friday Afternoon Club