Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Jung Typology, politics and planning practice

Registered
    Mar 2005

Jung Typology, politics and planning practice

My inspiration to start this thread came from the "Jung Typology" thread and the "Anarchist planning" thread. It got me thinking about how my values can interfere with my ability to be an effective planner. I took some time off between graduate school and now to think about this.

I am an INFP, which means I tend to be an idealist. On the political compass I score in the bottom left quadrant, which defiantly displays my idealism for a free society.

Working in a policy related field is hard for me because I want to know why we keep trying old methods that have never worked. I find myself having to bite my tongue before I speak my mind.

How does your personality and values interfere with your work?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto
    How does your personality and values interfere with your work?
    Yes... That is why I am getting my masters in planning and looking at the dark side, while promoting the use of Form Based Coding as a way to eliminate Euclidean Zoning in my community.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    May 1997
    Being a planner is probably very frustrating for an FP. On the other hand, it is also hard for TP's, who insist on everything making sense. Too much J is not good, but you need a little to survive this profession.

I am an ENFP and part of what makes my job so hard is that I want to please everybody - I want to come up with a solution that will benefit all parties. I also take things very personally - I have been working on this, though.
    I think for me that being an E has been very helpful in making contacts and dealing with sticky situations with (hopefully) grace.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Transitioning from planning to politics?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Aug 2009, 1:58 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Aug 2005, 2:58 PM
  3. Planning and National Politics
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2004, 2:47 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 23 Jan 2004, 7:57 AM
  5. Replies: 0