Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New York City (photos and commentary)

Registered
    Nov 2003

New York City (photos and commentary)

NEW YORK CITY

May 11-15, 2005

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So ablarc judging by that last pic you were in my neck of the woods. Checking out the mechanical garages, or just a slice at Grimaldis?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Ain't no other town quie like it. Love it.
    Good pics.
    You sure do a lot of travelling Ablarc. What do you do for a living?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jerseygirl
    So ablarc judging by that last pic you were in my neck of the woods. Checking out the mechanical garages, or just a slice at Grimaldis?
    You need to tell me where the garage is so I can photograph it next time.

Hoboken is absolutely amazing: yuppie central. Reminds me of Miami Beach: acres of great-looking exposed flesh (even in cool weather; you know what that's about); handsome, largely intact low-to-midrise walkable urban fabric built on a grid beside the water. Saturday night, it's a mating dance. At 10 pm the PATH subway to Manhattan (ten minute ride) was packed with revelers--about evenly divided, I reckoned, between Hobokenites headed for a night on the town and Manhattanites returning from their evening on the [other] town.

Truly the sixth borough, though a miniature. Have you checked out the calamari and the clientele at Quay?
    Last edited by ablarc; 20 May 2005 at 7:44 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    You sure do a lot of travelling Ablarc. What do you do for a living?
    I design buildings; and recently with increasing frequency, little cities, towns and villages. I wish some of them could sprout municipal boundaries to protect them from the do-gooders and the regulators.

Travel's sometimes business but mostly pleasure.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Does anyone have any photo's of what times square looked like before all the signs went up?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Ablarc, you are a great photographer and your pictues add a lot to this site. I liked how you captured a lot of unique details of buildings, doors, windows and other objects. NYC is such an amazing place.

Nice pics, as always. I'd like to see a photo essay of New York in October. There is no better time to be in that city.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Great pics as always! There's no place quite like NYC! My fiancee has never been, so I'm really looking forward to taking her sometime!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This is the side of NYC that I have been waiting to see.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Wonderful pictures!I have been waiting for this for so long!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yes, thank you once again for outstanding photos! Keep 'em coming!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Thanks, everybody, for your comments.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Does anyone have any photos of what times square looked like before all the signs went up?
    The signs went up before it was even called Times Square. Originally Longacre Square, here it is before 1900:

By 1907 it was a blaze of light:

1919:

Moderator note:
    (photo corrupt)

1928:

Early Thirties:

Paramount marquee, 1932. This was replicated recently and appears, digitally enhanced, in the color shots above:

Moderator note:
    (photo corrupt)

1935. The magnificent Second Empire Hotel Astor came down in the mid-Sixties in that orgy of Beaux-Arts building destruction that also claimed Penn Station, the Singer Building, the Savoy Plaza and the NY Times Building façade (also in Times Square). All those buildings just weren’t modern enough. They represented the past; Beaux-Arts architecture was fifty years out of date. This hatred of half-century-old buildings is about to claim numerous monuments of Brutalism, as well as such icons as Stone’s building on Columbus Circle. Architectural taste is so fickle:

Moderator note:
    (photo corrupt)

1936. The New York Times Building in full Beaux-Arts regalia, way before its mid-sixties recladding in mock modern style:

1939. Most 42nd Street theatres had been converted to movie houses:

Moderator note:
    (photo corrupt)

The girlies were thriving; they’d been around since the earliest years, though their peak occurred in the Beame Administration (1974-77):

That Paramount sign again in the late Thirties:

1940. Streetcars may reappear on 42nd Street if a current proposal is accepted http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17376:

42nd Street, early 1940’s:

1955. The famous guy in the photo was gone by year’s end:

By the late Fifties the streetcars were long gone. The Camel guy blew real smoke rings:

Moderator note:
    (photo corrupt)

By the early Seventies, the Square was in decline. It didn’t help that its best buildings were gone or reclad in kitsch, as happened with the New York Times Building:

The signs were still neon, not digital; sometimes tubes burned out, but being low tech it all seemed miraculous:

The 42nd Street marquees were now much plainer:

In the Eighties, Broadway (left) meets Seventh Avenue (right), from the Times Building:

Also in the Eighties, architects and planners sought to pedestrianize Broadway. The squeaky clean outcome would have existed strictly in the renderer’s fantasy:

Moderator note:
    (photo corrupt)

But really by this time, this is what people came for:

Even at its sleaziest it was vital:

Then along came Giuliani, Disney and Robert Stern to clean it up. Now it’s family-friendly.

Three shots of Tokyo’s Ginza, where the signs are a bit more inhibited:

Registered
    May 2005
    I love the photos! I miss NY so much, it's such a shame I've been priced out of the city.
    Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, too many to mention.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Nice set. I love all the diversity of subject matter and points of view. It almost makes me want to go for broke and move there. And that historical evolution set was an eye opener too.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004

the difference.

it's amazing how different ablarc's pix are from my own that i snapped this weekend while in nyc. that is the mark of a great city- when ppl can have full experiences yet, when comparing pix, have to ask each other "where is that?"

good pix. d.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Excellent pics. Thanks for posting.

Am flying into JFK on July 31st (nonstop from PDX -- thanks JetBlue!). My west coast wife has never been to NYC. She was really impressed with Chicago last year. I can't wait for her to experience a little bit of New York City.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boo
    it's amazing how different ablarc's pix are from my own that i snapped this weekend while in nyc. that is the mark of a great city- when ppl can have full experiences yet, when comparing pix, have to ask each other "where is that?"
    boo, I hope we get the pleasure of seeing your pictures. You can take enough pictures of most cities, you can probably even get enough pix of Paris or Venice, but you can never take enough pictures of New York.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    The images in this thread are now hosted in the Cyburbia Gallery. See http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show...y.php/cat/6488 . It took a while to rebuild this thread, and it's going to suck up a lot of bandwidth in the future. Given that Ablarc has been hosting the images in the past to our benefit, it's our turn to host them now.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 10:07 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Oct 2009, 1:58 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 11 Oct 2009, 3:09 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Oct 2009, 10:05 PM