Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Honda Civic GX (Natural Gas Car)

Registered
    Jan 2003

Honda Civic GX (Natural Gas Car)

Has anyone heard of or considered purchasing the Honda GX? Here's some info on the car:

Is the natural-gas Civic GX the cleanest internal-combustion vehicle on Earth?
    The EPA certainly thinks so. And in March of 2005, California motorists will have the opportunity to buy this environmentally conscious, natural-gas vehicle from select Honda dealers. (The GX will eventually be available nationwide.) The GX has everything you'd expect from a Civic, like a roomy cabin and responsive acceleration. But GX owners can also experience the convenience of filling up their tanks at home with a compact home refueling station called Phill. And California GX owners are even eligible to access carpool lanes. Although the Civic GX is a revolutionary vehicle, it's actually been on the streets and enjoyed by fleet operators since 1998. Maybe it's the right vehicle for you.

According to USA TODAY, natural gas emits 70% less carbon monoxide, 87% less nitrogen oxide, and 20% less carbon dioxide. The Honda Civic GX will definitely be my next car. Image how much more breathable the air would be if everyone in LA drove this car. Good Bye petrol, hello natural gas. One thing that bugs me is why isn't there widespread advertising for this car?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jzt83
    Has anyone heard of or considered purchasing the Honda GX? Here's some info on the car:

According to USA TODAY, natural gas emits 70% less carbon monoxide, 87% less nitrogen oxide, and 20% less carbon dioxide.
    How well does it cut down on traffic congestion?

Seriously though, if I were in the market for a new car I'd consider looking closely at this. I do remember seeing an older model (late 80s or early 90s) 2 wheel drive Chevy that had been retrofitted with propane. I'm sure there are kits out there one can buy to retrofit their cars too.

Good find.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've driven this car frequently...we have a bunch of them in our motor pool fleet. They're just like a regular Civic, except the fuel consumption is horrible...the car's useable range is cut down to 200 miles. So, you can only use them in areas where refueling opportunities are available. For long trips, they would be practically useless. That is, until a network of fuel distribution is in place. Is California creating such a network?
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jzt83
    One thing that bugs me is why isn't there widespread advertising for this car?
    Well, two I can think of off the top of my head, refueling stations are not readily convenient, and unlike California, there are no mandates for emissions reductions. In our state, governments used to be required to have a small % of their fleet be natural gas. I think the lwa was repealed as an unfunded mandate, but dont have time to reasearch that right now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The local natural gas well fields around here went to negitive pressure not to long ago. That means instead of having natural gas spring out from the ground we have to pump it our now. That means the price of NG is creaping upwards as the supply decrases.

Off-topic:
    Wouldn't it be great if they could somehow condense all those old dinosaurs and swamps that are underground into a convenient liquid form of fuel for our vehicles?
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

Off-topic:
    Wouldn't it be great if they could somehow condense all those old dinosaurs and swamps that are underground into a convenient liquid form of fuel for our vehicles?

Off-topic:
    Ahhh, we'd probably get addicted to a cheap, convienent supply of fuel, develop a society based on that being the case forever, then be screwed when we ran out of natural resources.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 20 May 2005 at 6:06 PM.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    on the topic of alternative cars, does any one happen to know how the Honda Insight is selling? i didnt realise it was still on the market anywhere, it was withdrawn over here for some reason after only a year or something ...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    I imagine the Insight is selling poorly since it's a piece of ****. Still 'Be Cool' will probably increase it's popularity thanks to John Travolta.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm thinking about my next car being one with a TDI engine (probably a Beatle since I don't really like the look of the other VW TDI cars). The fuel consumption is low (42/49) and they still get good performance. I wouldn't have considered one until now because while most of the emissions were great, it is horrible on particulate emissions. With low sulphur diesel replacing standard diesel next year, the particulate count is dropped by 80%-90%, making it quite the clean vehicle.

On the other hand, if I can find a job within walking distance or near a MARTA rail station, I might replace my current car with shoe leather.

I'd also love to see a TDI hybrid. I'm thinking they could push city milage into the 70MPG range combining the two technologies.

Back on topic: I imagine the advertising is minimal for the GX because it is being introduced on a limited experiemental basis. Spending millions on advertising on a car that has an uncertain outlook would be dangerous for the manufacturer. I'm sure there will be enough word of mouth for them to sell the limited quantities produced. If they get really hot, then maybe things will snowball. But I remember how natural gas prices spiked (or were fixed) a few years ago in a way that unleaded gasoline hasn't.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Civic leader
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Mar 2013, 8:46 AM
  2. Cool Leader Or Civic Embarrassment?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Jul 2010, 12:21 PM
  3. L.A. Civic Center addition
    Design, Space, and Place