Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: World gasoline price comparison

Registered
    May 2005

World gasoline price comparison

I just found this...good info for analysis of impact. Could cross-reference with various other lists. Also qualitatively to understand how countries have organized their cities. (ie: Argentina is very high on the list - is that one contributing factor why a significant portion of the population lives in 1 city? - Buenos Aires)

1998-2000 prices...but order in list should be relatively unchanged now.

Ratio of premium gasoline price to world average
    Units: Ratio of Gasoline Price to World Average
    Units: Pump price for super gasoline (US$ per liter): Fuel prices refer to the pump prices of the most widely sold grade of gasoline. Prices have been converted from the local currency to U.S. dollars, and the ratio of the gas price to the world average in the same time period was used in order to normalize the data. For more information, see World Development Indicators, Table 3.12.

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...gas_pri&int=-1

Total energy usage per person:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/ene_usa_per_per

More stats:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/Energy
    - Beware more of the man in the fancy cloak, than the one in tattered clothing -

Registered
    May 2005

It's all on the Internet if you look hard enough

Please don't combine with prior email...it makes it look confusing.

Seek and ye shall find is this morning's motto.

-----------

So...I just woke up at 430AM a short while ago (Still adjusting to time zone from Asia) and was brainstorming more things to compare and contrast between countries (Something which I am fond of doing). I thought of comparing automobile import taxes which I know are high in Denmark and Singapore among other places. Welll..searching for that let me to this magic website:

www.zietlow.com

You will find a PDF of up to date (2005) fuel prices in 171 countries!!! yee-haw!!! And a time-series back to 1991.

...look like there is a direct link to it too here:

http://www.internationalfuelprices.com/

On this site you will find 2 documents.

1) International Fuel Prices - which includes info on fuel taxes and subsidies. The 2003 edition has the best info - 114 pages. 2005 version (Mentioned above) is a DATA PREVIEW with less graphs and analysis (Only 12 pages)

2) A 2001 document (Fuel Prices and Taxation) which talks about vehicle taxation and motorization by country! This is the motherlode of data I want!!!!

Beautiful graphs and maps!!!

When German logic is right - it is a sight to behold. Woo-hoo!! When not so right...well history can say more than I.
    Last edited by circusoflife; 16 May 2005 at 8:12 AM.
    - Beware more of the man in the fancy cloak, than the one in tattered clothing -

Registered
    Apr 2005
    You've done it again! Way to hunt down the treasure trove data sites circusoflife. I already knew about nationmaster but I'd never found the gas prices page or the tonnes of oil equivalent page. Excellent data. What's really scary is that gas prices in China are even less than in the U.S. I wonder how far down on the TOE graph China would be if that graph included all nations. China's got a ways to go to catch up to us on a per capita basis and if it ever does, let's hope it's because the U.S. has ratcheted down its energy use.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Argentina's prices would be high because the data is from right about when the country defaulted on its debt and as a result sunk into economic disaster from which it has not yet fully recovered.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 03 Jun 2010, 10:36 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 12 Nov 2008, 9:50 AM
  3. Gas tax comparison around the world
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2005, 12:16 AM
  4. Phoenix Gasoline Shortage
    Cities and Places