Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Career Pro Athletes

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Career Pro Athletes

Last nights Det V IND game ended Reggie Millers Basket Ball Career by his choice... after 18 years!

What other Pro sports figures are still in the game longer than 15 years?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Didn't Gordie Howe (or Mr. Hockey... ) play a ton of years in the NHL/WHA and play at least a game or two in his 60s and 70s...

I think Ray Bourque played for 20 years.

And what about Reggie Dunlop of the Charlestown Chiefs, "Reg Dunlop represents the "old guard" of the Federal League, you've been skating for how many years, Reggie?"
    "Uhh, quite a few, Jim."
    (Sorry had to put that in there...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Actually Gordie Howe played pro hockey in four (or is it five?) different decades. He was brought back in the early 1990's by the Detroit Viper's to play a few games!

I think Mike's question was directed to those currently playing ball.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Actually Gordie Howe played pro hockey in four (or is it five?) different decades. He was brought back in the early 1990's by the Detroit Viper's to play a few games!
    I was trying to remember the Detroit Vipers' name...

Sorry... I guess I misread it.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Last nights Det V IND game ended Reggie Millers Basket Ball Career by his choice... after 18 years!
    Reg-gie(!) most assuredly would still like to be playing.

Ricky Henderson will be playing low-minor ball again this year. He's what, like 75? (I always hated him: such a hot dogger!) Isn't Franco still pitching in relief at 42 or 43? Clemens and The Big Unit are both in their 40s.
    Je suis Charlie

Being a Spokane native, who can forget Spokane's favorite B-ball son, John Stockton, I think he was in for more than 18.....
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    One time Viking Gary Anderson

(no fair saying kickers are not athletes)
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Ball, puck, race car, pig skin, just about any sport that has a link on espn.com

It is all good stuff to me!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Roger Clemens is still pitching, though he's probably a little depressed because of his team's performance. If the Astros don't start picking up, he will retire at the end of the season.

Actually, now that I think about it a lot of baseballers have 20+ year careers. I guess that's to be expected when you spend just under half of every game sitting on a bench!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Jessie ORosco just recently played MLB at 46. Kevin Willis plays hoop at 42 with players who were not born when he started in 84.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Actually, now that I think about it a lot of baseballers have 20+ year careers. I guess that's to be expected when you spend just under half of every game sitting on a bench!
    And the other half standing around spitting and scratching yourself!

Half of the Yankees pitching staff has 15 years or more!

Well, that's a bit of a stretch, but Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson are pretty grizzled.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Favourite Athletes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 08 Aug 2006, 10:09 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 12:45 PM
  3. Replies: 63
    Last post: 19 May 2004, 1:24 AM
  4. Canadian Athletes
    Friday Afternoon Club