Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What anniversaries do you celebrate?

Registered
    Aug 2001

What anniversaries do you celebrate?

I'm sitting at home right now waiting for the flower delivery guy. My mom and dad send me flowers every year on/around May 21st, since that was the day in 1971 when they adopted me legally. We celebrated it kind of like a birthday when I was younger, and it's morphed into flowers every year since I was in my early 20s. I used to get to pick any restaurant to go to on my adoption day when I was a kid, and I always thought that was fun.

Do any of you celebrate an anniversary, other than a wedding anniversary or a birthday?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I'm sitting at home right now waiting for the flower delivery guy. My mom and dad send me flowers every year on/around May 21st, since that was the day in 1971 when they adopted me legally. We celebrated it kind of like a birthday when I was younger, and it's morphed into flowers every year since I was in my early 20s. I used to get to pick any restaurant to go to on my adoption day when I was a kid, and I always thought that was fun.

Do any of you celebrate an anniversary, other than a wedding anniversary or a birthday?
    First of all, congratulations!!!

Ms. Record and I celebrate every Saturday as the anniversary of our first date. Except I lost track of how many weeks it's been...we were up in the several of hundreds. But sending her flowers is a bit of a trick...she's a florist!!!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My divorce in August, 8 years ago.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I can't think of any. I'm pretty dull when it comes to this stuff. But congrats.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    WOW that is really cool. Glad to hear!

We don't usually celebrate much (my GF and I) We attribute October 10th as when we were together, but nothing much else except for birthdays and the like.

I do get a weird feeling on April 3rd, the anniversary of when my grandmother died... But I will not elaborate... memories like that combined with gin do not mix...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    First congradulations!

I don't have a boyfriend ever since.So the day I can celebrate is my birthday. Of course my dad and mom's birthday.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Just the usual, day Mrs PBD and I got engaged and married, birthdays

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well as a matter of fact I am starting a new tradition since my grandsons have been born. You see my daughter blessed me with two grandsons both born in December. So I have decided that yes I will acknowledge their actual birthdates in December with a bit of something but then we will celebrate Grandma birthdays with them on their respective days in June. This year the 6 year old is getting a bike and not sure yet about the 3 year old.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mr SC and I have two wedding anniversaries. The first time we got married and then when we got married in the Catholic Church a year and a half later. He forgets the second one sometimes but I remind him since its the one that the Pope says is real. Otherwise we were living in sin. Oh my!!!
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    By coincidence, a friend (not Rumpy), will be visiting me next weekend. On Friday night, we’ll commemorate the one-year anniversary of my divorce by having a nice dinner out. I’m thinking of “Canopies” out on Highway 98 overlooking the bay. Anybody else have a better suggestion?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I just realized that I forgot my divorce anniversary last year. I was busy getting prepared for Hurricane Charley, which hit the next day, Friday the 13th.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Not really celebrating the anniversaries, but I do make a conscious effort to remember the significances of these following days:

May 10th - the birth date of my maternal grandma, who I've not met
    June 10th - when my paternal grandma died
    June 12th - when my paternal grandpa died
    August 10th - when my first and only (so far) pet died
    December 16th - the birth date of my maternal grandpa, who I've not met

The grandparents date seem very emotional days with both of my parents. So, I'm more cautious of everything I do all day long!

As for celebrating anniversaries... I don't really have any to celebrate. I haven't really had a day that was so life-transforming that become a cause to celebrate.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I don't celebrate any anniversaries, anymore. I didn't even celebrate my divorce this year. Whatever !!!!!
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I help celebrate various friends birthdays. One thing I make a point not to skip is my parent's anniversay. After 28 years, I'm amazed that they haven't attempted killing each other at least once or twice.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    The usual, our anniversery and birthdays.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Our wedding anniversary and birthdays. I always take off my son's birthday, so he can have a day with Pappa and a day he can do what he wants (as opposed to the other 364 ).

There are a few birthdays of old girlfriends I remember annually. I try to picture them as older, fatter and unhappy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Congrats, that's a really cool way to celebrate your adoption.

Mr. Hab and I really only celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. This weekend we celebrated him finishing his masters and our 6 month wedding anniversary since there is a good chance I'll be in labor on our wedding anniversary, but that's not that bad of a way to celebrate anyway.

On a more somber note, May 29 and October 30 are the anniversary of my Dad's death and his birthday. It's not so much of a celebration as a kick in the pants those days.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I get pretty somber around the anniversary of my dad's death (Oct'r 25).
    Maybe now that I've been to his grave it may be a little different this year. But I doubt it.

June 17th is my work anniversary -- starting year 18 this year. (As the council approved the continuing resolution, I will be working this one. Next year's a different matter...)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I celebrate Friday the 13th since that's the day I had the nuts to ask my fiancee out for our first date. Friday the 13th has proven quite lucky for us!

A group of my friends gets together every February 19th to celebrate one of them being declared cancer free. Friend was diagnosed with breast cancer at 20 and we've been getting together for four years now to celebrate the "all clear" from the doc. We all meet at a restaurant in San Marcos, even though some of us live further off now.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Congrats, that's a really cool way to celebrate your adoption.

Mr. Hab and I really only celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. This weekend we celebrated him finishing his masters and our 6 month wedding anniversary since there is a good chance I'll be in labor on our wedding anniversary, but that's not that bad of a way to celebrate anyway.
    Is that a not-so-subtle way of saying that there's a Baby Habanero on the way???? Congratulations!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Celebrate Earth Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 23 Apr 2014, 2:20 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 06 Dec 2004, 2:08 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 10:17 AM
  4. How are you going to celebrate...