Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Forest Park - ST. LOUIS' Urban Oasis

Registered
    May 2005

Forest Park - ST. LOUIS' Urban Oasis

Out for a short walk through St. Louis' most beautiful "urban oasis" - FOREST PARK. A cloudy evening, but dry. A true gem in the city.

Forest Park is one of St. Louis' most treasured resources.
    Located in the heart of the city, it is the heart of the city - St. Louis' Urban Oasis. Boardered by the cosmopolitan Central West End to the east, Forest Park West/Demun district to the west, Dogtown District to the south and Debaliviere and Loop districts to the north.

Forest Park, officially opened to the public on June 24, 1876, is one of the largest urban parks in the United States. At 1,293 acres it is approximately 500 acres larger than Central Park in New York City.
    In 1904, the Louisiana Purchase Exposition..The St. Louis World’s Fair...drew more than 20 million visitors from around the world to Forest Park. The Olympics were also held on the west end of the park.

Today it attracts more than 12 million visitors a year. It is more than a scenic backdrop to our city. It is an active participant and catalyst in the St. Louis community. Monuments, historic buildings, wildlife, waterways and landscapes combine to form a unique cultural institution that is vitally important to the entire St. Louis region. The park is recognized as an important gathering place where people of all ages, races and economic backgrounds can gather and mix in a positive way.

It is the home to many of the major cultural institutions in the city, including:
    The Saint Louis Zoo - Voted #1 zoo in USA in 2005
    The St. Louis Art Museum
    The History Museum & Jefferson Memorial
    Korean Memorial
    St. Louis Science Center - 5th largest in the World
    The Muny Opera Theatre, North America's Largest Broadway Theater - 13,000 seats.
    It also serves as a sports center for golf, tennis, baseball, bicycling, boating, fishing, handball, ice skating, roller blading, jogging, cricket, rugby and more, including
    2 - 18 hole golf courses
    7 miles of quad track
    Steinberg Ice Rink and Roller Rink
    The Boat House - with over 3 miles of canals and boat boat rentals including guided gondolas
    Dwight Davis Professional Tennis Center (St. Louis Aces Tennis Home)

SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARK THEATRE

METRO RAIL > FOREST PARK STATION

NEW LINE UNDER CONSTRUCTION - NEW SUBWAY TUNNELS (portals) FOR CROSS COUNTY LINE (U/C)

     
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Muchos Gracias

Thank you very much. I've been to St. Louis about 7-8 times over the last couple years. Every time, I always make sure to do two things: visit Forest Park in some way, and patronize Ted Drewes.

These pics are absolutely beautiful. I was at Forest Park when the Grand Basin was being constructed. It truly resembles the original World's Fair grounds now.

As a hobby, I like to model architectural scenes. I've been scouring the web for several months now looking for pictures of that Grand Basin to use as source material. Now I find some, right here at Cyburbia!

Do you happen to have higher-res versions of these pictures? I would really appreciate it if you could upload higher-res versions of these 3 pictures:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0Image0034.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0Image0071.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0Image0072.jpg

I do understand forum restrictions; however, you could simply provide a link. Thanks in advance.

Registered
    May 2005
    unfortunately it was a cloudy day - even with high res. this is it... I'll try to retuyrn on a sunny day.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Aug 2008, 8:41 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 21 Apr 2006, 6:20 PM
  3. New urban park for Wellington
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2006, 4:31 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Jun 2004, 1:04 PM