Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things to see and do in Seattle

Registered
    Nov 2003

Things to see and do in Seattle

I'll be going to Seattle for a 3 day meeting in mid-May. What are some things see and do while I'm their. I'm going to check out the fish market and a Mariners game if they're in town. Are there any touristy type ferry rides on Puget Sound?
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I'll be going to Seattle for a 3 day meeting in mid-May. What are some things see and do while I'm their. I'm going to check out the fish market and a Mariners game if they're in town. Are there any touristy type ferry rides on Puget Sound?
    When we were there we took the Washington State Ferry across to Bainbridge Island and hung out there for a few hours. It was an adorable little town with a great waterfront park and stunning views of the skyline across the sound. We also liked Fremont, the U District, Queen Anne, Green Lake (IIRC) and Kirkland (all easy bus rides from downtown or elsewhere). We were really turned off by Pioneer Square and the International District, which both reaked of urine and were filled with drunks and panhandlers.

The U District had an unusual amount of young bums/runaways, a rarity on the East Coast.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We spent our honeymoon in the Seattle area. Granted, we were on Vashon Island, tucked in a great B&B, but we did take the ferry over to see some sights.

Loved Pike's Market - spent the morning just walking around, eating lunch with a water view. I agree that Pioneer was a letdown, but Elliot's bookstore made up for it. Weather was great in late June, so our planned day at Mt. Rainier for hiking went without a hitch.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Library

I haven't been myself, but everyone I know is raving about the new Public Library designed by Rem Koolhaas.

There are many good ferry rides to various islands from Seattle. Any of them are interesting and fun, depending on your schedule and whim.

For gifts to take home, Market Spice Tea is the classic from the Market Spice Tea shop at Pike's Street Market.

The Fremont Troll is one of my favorite pieces of public art.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WASEAtroll.html

and yes.... we need to hear your review of the Public Library. (I really liked it, but not everyone does.)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    A trip on that moveable bridge that leads to Mercer Island would be a nice diversion. Also, I would check out that new Experience Music museum that was built a couple of years ago.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    There is the King County Trails. Best known is the Burke-Gilman: http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/trails/trails/burke.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2002
    My sister lives there and I've been a few times. I liked the EMP - Experience Music Project Museum. It's a somewhat horrendous Frank Gehry building, but has some really cool interactive music exhibits inside. I spent a whole day there by myself and wasn't bored.

Bainbridge Island is pretty if you want to take a ferry somewhere. Capitol Hill is great to walk around- same with Fremont, Downtown and the U District. There is a lot of hipster and student culture all around there.

West Seattle has a nice beach. Discovery Park is pretty. The Seattle Asian Art museum was nice.

I hope this gives you a few ideas. I would check out the library, too. And Pike Place Market, Belltown area, etc.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Maybe because I'm used to it, living in the Greater San Francisco Bum Area, but Pioneer Square was fairly tame to me.- and Elliott Bay Book Company was an awesome bookstore. I really enjoyed the red brick architecture in Pioneer Square.

Registered
    Nov 2003

Vashon or Bainbridge Island

Which of the two is more pedestrian friendly? While in Seattle, I will not have a bike or a car so that leaves my Reeboks and public transportation.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    Which of the two is more pedestrian friendly? While in Seattle, I will not have a bike or a car so that leaves my Reeboks and public transportation.
    On Bainbridge Island, we had no problem walking from the ferry into town and around the very small town of Winslow and nearby parks. I think you could probably rent bikes either in Seattle or on the island and there are public buses on Bainbridge that meet the ferry.

Honestly, there wasn't much to see outside of nature and water, but I thought it was worth it.

http://www.bainbridgechamber.com/Islandmapbig1.htm

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    On Bainbridge Island, we had no problem walking from the ferry into town and around the very small town of Winslow and nearby parks. I think you could probably rent bikes either in Seattle or on the island and there are public buses on Bainbridge that meet the ferry.

Honestly, there wasn't much to see outside of nature and water, but I thought it was worth it.

http://www.bainbridgechamber.com/Islandmapbig1.htm
    I agree, it's mostly an island suburb for Seattle. Still, the ferry ride is nice, gives a great view of the city and takes you out to a countryish looking community. It's very upscale, but pretty and makes a nice little trip if you want to get out of the city.

Registered
    Nov 2003

How about Vancouver, BC?

While in Seattle next week, I decided that I will take a day trip to Vancouver for my first visit to Canada. What is there to do and see from a planning perspective within walking distance of the Amtrak station?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    King B's sister lives there but doubt that you would want to visit her....
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Certainly.....

Not (what they try to pass as professional) basketball.....
    .......SNAP!!!

Ooops.....some spill over SMACK from that NBA thread......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I like Seattle. I like Seattle a lot!! The city is beautiful. I had a very good time there. I flew there last weekend to get a couple of days of sightseeing in before my meetings. I stayed in downtown Seattle adjacent to the Westlake Center and the monorail. I really enjoyed downtown but the price of food was stretching my meals budget. I went to a couple of Mariners games. I saw Manny Ramirez of the Red Sox hit his 400th HR. To see the roof close on SAFECO was worth the price of admission alone. I ended up going to Bainbridge Island. I walked around for an hour and had lunch at a Mexican restaurant. I enjoyed the views of Lake Union from the Space Needle and the Capitol Hill neighborhood. I enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells of the Pike Place Market. I rarely eat fish, but I enjoy going to fish markets. Go figure. I enjoyed the Copper River salmon at Cutters Bayhouse on Western Ave. Our group had a table that overlooked Elliott Bay and the sun was out at the time. It seems as if the Copper River salmon was anointed food of the gods last week, so I had to try it. I enjoyed the free public bus service in downtown Seattle, because walking back from the Yankees/Mariners game was a b***h. I appreciated the architecture of City Hall, the symphony building, and the central library. I wasn't that impressed with Pioneer Square. Much props to the guy who sold me the ticket to the Red Sox game last Sunday. Ten rows above the home dugout for $15 can't be beat. Also much props to the Gray Line Shuttle for finding my digital camera and bringing it back to my hotel. I can gurantee that wouldn't have happened in Baltimore. I can't wait to go back.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Someday.....

I do want to visit someday, I've heard its a great City. I would also make a point to visit Victoria when there.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 02 Sep 2011, 12:41 PM
  2. Hello from Seattle
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 25 Apr 2007, 11:06 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 9:41 AM
  4. Hello from Seattle