Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sci-fi technology that you would like to have

Registered
    Jun 2004

Sci-fi technology that you would like to have

Well i just read a article "Wormhole 'no use' for time travel " and i was strangely disapointed that the technoloy wasn't there for that to occur but the article left me with a glimmer of hope. The idea of hoping in a wormhole and come out at another place and time facinates me. Then i got to think what technology would society benifit most from. Laser guns that could be set to stun? Would the transporter on Star Trek be the end of sprawl? Could androids fill some jobs that no one else would?

What technology that you have seen on sci-fi movies or show do you wish you had and what would you do with it?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'd like Sean Young as she was when she was in Blade Runner.
    I'd like a big ass phaser and lots and lots of energy cells.
    I'd like a tricorder.
    I'd like a Dyson Sphere of my very own.
    I'd like an X-Wing Fighter and a robot pal.
    I'd like a holodeck programed by the adult film industry.
    I'd like a personal body shield like in Dune.
    I'd like a tribble and twelve tons of triticale.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I want one of those things (I don't know what it's called) that'll make you whatever you want in the food/drink arena just by saying the name from Star Trek. I'd be ordering watermelon, sushi, and mac and cheese all day long.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I want one of those things (I don't know what it's called) that'll make you whatever you want in the food/drink arena just by saying the name from Star Trek. I'd be ordering watermelon, sushi, and mac and cheese all day long.
    You are talking about a Food Replicator.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    You are talking about a Food Replicator.
    I'd also like that, along with
    -Federation transporters;
    -Holodecks;
    -Those nifty hand-held communicato... ...oh, wait, I already have one of those
    -Tricorders, but 'Palm' and bluetooth technologies are almost there in many regards (everything except the 'sensor' capabilities);
    -'Tractor' beams;

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2001
    -I'd like about 300 gallons of Bacta.
    -I can see many uses for a lightsaber outside of slicing down sith ranging from slicing bread, welding, flashlight, etc.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

-Federation transporters;
    -Holodecks

Time travel and the ability to visit other dimensions. That and EG's Dysons sphere or a ringworld.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2005
    Whatever that pistol was in the original "RollerBall".

A plasma rifle in the 40-watt range ("Terminator").
    "If you love something, let it go."
    What kind of crap is that?

Registered
    May 2002
    What about one of those shiny balls from "The Arrival"? The ones that floated in the middle of the room, spun around, and sucked the contents of said room into another dimension. Think how easy that would make building demolition!

I would love to have a lightsaber, but I probably lack the patients to carry one responsibly!
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Woody Allen's 'Orgasmatron' as seen in the movie Sleeper
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Faster Than Light travel - visit the stars and find out if anyone is really out there on a reasonable time scale.

Control over gravity - space stations or ships with full gravity would be cool and would be useful for long distance FTL travel.

Humans with integrated computers/communications devices. I have read a lot of sci-fi lately with this sort of "improvement" and basicly they serve as an internal connection to society allowing people to communicate with anyone anywhere sort of like an internal cell phone (with an internal answering machine and caller id of course). They also allow connections to vast amounts of information on demand and in some cases enhanced physical/mental abilities to do things like interface directly with space ships and pilot them through complex maneuvers or through faster than light travel (however it happens to be attained).
    Pollution-less societies - lots of different things there although few are ever discussed in detail.

Holo-deck is definately a cool idea that needs to be implemented.

nanites: Little machines that could cure cancer, or clean up pollution, or extend your life significantly. I'm sure there are lots of things I'm not thinking of.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I would like to obtain Jedi Powers... and use them to give Sci-Fi nerds wedgies...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Also....

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Woody Allen's 'Orgasmatron' as seen in the movie Sleeper
    Those steak pills from Sleeper and the revelation that cholesterol/fat is a good thing....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Technology changes for your house.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Aug 2012, 2:40 PM
  2. Resistance to use of technology
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 1:34 PM
  3. Ambivalence concerning technology