Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interested in subways

Interested in subways

Hi...

I'm not sure where this post should go, being that I'm a new member, a studenty looking for advice, and intersted in transportation systems. So hopefully this section will work...

I am currently a math and classics double major at a small liberal arts college, and I have come to realize in that wonderful way that it is possible to combine something I have a strange passion for, subway systems, with a career of some sort.

But I'm not sure how to break into this general area. Ideally, I would love to work with the MTA or the CTA as a planner/analyst of sorts; I find myself reading the planning overviews for the proposed changes to the MTA whenever I can get a computer at the library. I know that is what I want to do, and I am willing to continue to wash dishes and work as a barista until the door opens.

What do you recommend I do? Should I pursue a masters? in what? Any ideas would be helpful!

thanks

christina

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's a long jump between Classics and Transportation Planning. I would think that a masters in some type of planning (transportation) or engineering degree would be best. If you are interested in working with those two specific organziations, maybe you should call one of the directors/senior planners there and ask them for 15 minutes of their time to ask the same question. Even talking to an HR analyst may be helpful.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interested in planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Aug 2009, 11:09 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 08 Nov 2005, 12:29 PM
  3. questions about subways...
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Aug 2005, 2:09 AM