Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good software for flowcharts?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Good software for flowcharts?

I'm getting geared up to put together a comprehensive procedures manual for internal purposes and complementary development handbook for public use. I will be creating dozens of flowcharts as part of the project, and it seems that most Microsoft Office programs are a pain to use for flowchart purposes. It's fine if you just want to develop a simple flow chart, but any editing and you almost need to start from scratch.

So does anyone know of any other software out there that is made to make flowchart development (and editing!) more efficient? We are prepared to spend money on a good software package, so it doesn't need to be freeware.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I think I was introduced to Microsoft's Visio in GIS school. Didn't use it too much and it was 3 years ago, so I can't say too much about it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If youalready have a version of Autocad, it can work wonders for presentation quality items now. Easy to draw in, many fonts, colours etc.

I typically just use powerpoint to do them. Easy to edit text box locations and contents, easy enough to draw arrows and connections.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002

Visio (or Word/Excel)

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I'm getting geared up to put together a comprehensive procedures manual for internal purposes and complementary development handbook for public use. I will be creating dozens of flowcharts as part of the project, and it seems that most Microsoft Office programs are a pain to use for flowchart purposes. It's fine if you just want to develop a simple flow chart, but any editing and you almost need to start from scratch.

So does anyone know of any other software out there that is made to make flowchart development (and editing!) more efficient? We are prepared to spend money on a good software package, so it doesn't need to be freeware.
    If you have the money for it, Visio is probably best. However, I have often just used Word/Excel for simple things.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Powerpoint....

Just don't try using powerpoint....what a pain that is.....use one of the others mentioned then drop into powerpoint if need be....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    May 2004
    Visio is the best I've used. Very straight forward and easy to learn. I used it prior to MS purchasing Visio and the improvements MS made were quite good. An excellent tool for mapping processes.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Visio is great. I used it previously for network diagrams but it is very versatile.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll take a pass on Powerpoint for flowcharts. I usually use a graphics program like Corel, then export it as a .jpg image into another program.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    If you go on some of the shareware sites, like Tucows, they sometimes have free or cheap programs that do specific things like flow charts. I got one program there years ago that drew them in excel. You could then export them to power point and fix em up. It was freeware.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Visio is great. I used it during college for a couple of things and found it VERY easy to learn and it seemed to function well. Cardinal is right that PowerPoint and flowcharts do not mix.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Guess i am the only one that likes power point for flow charts. Guess the only ones I have done have been relatively simple.

What is this MS Visio you all speak of?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I also think PowerPoint is OK for flowcharts. If it's something very complex, than maybe not, but for a general chart, I think PowerPoint is easy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've heard of Visio but have never used it. We have some licenses here at the City, so maybe I can try it out on someone's computer before I go ahead and purchase a license (as I hear it can be quite expensive!) Thanks everybody!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I use Visio about once a week and find it to be a very good tool for all kinds of flowcharts. Most of my stuff is more software development related, but I'm sure it will meet your needs.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Guess i am the only one that likes power point for flow charts. Guess the only ones I have done have been relatively simple.

What is this MS Visio you all speak of?
    here you go

here is a link

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm doing the same thing at work and I find PowerPoint adequate. It is nothing stellar. My wife spends all day - every day on Visio. If all I did was flowcharts I'd swing the $300. But, for the few I develop PP is just fine.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Sep 2011, 3:00 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 12:50 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Feb 2007, 3:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2003, 11:03 AM
  5. Software
    Make No Small Plans