Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ohio's going to hell...no..really!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Ohio's going to hell...no..really!

WALSTIB

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    WHAT THE ****?!?!? This is by far the worst "going to hell" ever to occur on Cyburbia...

Bear, SAC, Dan, et al, I expect you to do something about this!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Why O why O would any one want to be in OHIO?
    What are all those college students going to do after watching their hockey teams loose... again?
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    You can always brew your own suds or distill your own moonshine. I know brewing your own beer is legal, liquor - I'm not so sure about.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    WHAT THE ****?!?!? This is by far the worst "going to hell" ever to occur on Cyburbia...

Bear, SAC, Dan, et al, I expect you to do something about this!
    Yeah, I'm pretty pissed. Setting aside the damage it will do to Ohio's brewing industry, my main problem is the lumping of alcohol and cigarettes as one collective "sin tax".

I have no problem with taxing the Hell out of cigarettes, but for purposes only of helping people to quit. The state should never rely on this tax in perpetuity because if everyone just up and quit they would lose all the tax money that they would have had if they had kept cig taxes down. Yet the stupid politicians seem to increase cig taxes at every whim because they see it as the be-all end-all that will somehow magically plug some big holes in the budget for all time.

They want people to keep smoking. Otherwise, they can kiss all those big tax dollars goodbye and we'll be in even more dire financial straits then we are now.

Alcohol is a different story entirely. I see no problem with the consumption of beer and wine in moderation. While there is alcohol abuse, most consumers of beer and wine are responsible drinkers.

On the other hand, there is no such thing as a responsible smoker.

Taft is an idiot anyway and he is running this state into the ground. All these years of cowtowning to the big corporate fatcats has left the state's budget and educational system in shambles and has severely degraded the environment.

And now it's time to pay the piper.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Cleveland's Gateway project -- Jacob's Field and Gund Arena -- was funded by the so-called "sin" tax on alcohol and tobacco in Cuyahoga County...That was passed back by Cuyahoga voters back in 1989, I believe...Convenient targets, I guess.

Registered
    May 2003
    It's all a result of the "no tax" movement. Raising taxes is political suicide, so jurisdictions keep trying to find ways to raise revenues that aren't "taxes" or - like a credit card late fee - are accepted as just punishment for misdeeds.

The problem, of course, is that source of revenues get far detached from the use of revenues. Since you can't connect the tax with the benefit, the game of getting someone else to pay for government services becomes an artform -- that the large corporations always win.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

This is an outrage! This new tax unfairly targets the Planner-American community!

Lovely. A hige tax levy was approved in my school district a few months ago -- granted, it may help property values a bit, but it'll raise my mortgage payment $30 or soa month next year -- and now thee's this. Just when I feel like I'm getting a bit ahead, I get kicked down a notch.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002

Way to go Ohio!

And then there is the school funding problem. Based mainly on the local property tax, most of the levy's get voted down, even in some of the more afluent areas. It's going to hit the fan when it is realized that one of the major reasons why people choose a certain community to live in is the quality of the school system. All the so-called economic development incentives aren't going to do s***! Now the powers that be are going to reduce the local government funds while basically ignoring the school funding problems. Another kick to the urban groin. Ohio sucks.
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What the hell ???????????
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Jan 2006, 11:03 AM
  2. Why the UK is Going to Hell
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Oct 2005, 6:58 PM
  3. Replies: 40