Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Joe's New Job

Registered
    Aug 1997

Joe's New Job

Well, it's finally happened. I have a new job!

I've been offered a new position will leave my current employer. As some of you may remember, I've had a few rough spots in my current position as a planner for the City of Rowlett. The worst was October when I was fired by the department head, only to have my dismissal vetoed by the assistant city manager on my penultimate day. So, I'm glad to leave for something else, but particularly this new position. (There have been good things about Rowlett, but not enough for me to stay.)

[ominous background music]And I'm turning to the DARK SIDE![/ominous background music]
    I am going to work for the first time in the private sector. I'm going to be working for developers, rather than for the city. This is going to be a whole new perspective on planning from having worked solely in the public sector since leaving college 10 years ago.

My new position is with WD Partners, a design and construction firm that builds retail stores, restaurants, and convenience stores for national companies. I'll be doing planning & zoning work for them in their Dallas (Irving) office with projects all over the country.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me transition from public sector to private sector?

Thanks.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Congratulation on the new position. I remember when you said you got fired and then hired again. It'll be good to get away from that position and begin anew. Best wishes from ZMan.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Good luck Joe, and congrats!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2002
    No advice Joe, but congratulations.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Congratulationsl Hope you enjoy your new job!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats.
    Be careful w/ any project in Rowlett.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff

Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me transition from public sector to private sector?

Thanks
    Congrads...

Get one of those travel neck pillows for the long flights.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    congrats on the new job. No advice for making the switch, other than to check your conscience at the door.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Congratulations!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Congratulations, Joe.

Your new mantra shall be: billable hours, billable hours, billable hours

Best wishes -- when your company does a project in Kentucky's greatest city, give me a yell.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congratulations on the new job! I saw that come across a job wire and wondered if you were going to go after it. I'm glad you'll be getting out of what seems to be a toxic work environment.

As for turning to the Dark Side...

You will need to set up appointments with your local Cyburbia priest, Rumpy, so you can confess your daily planning sins!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Good luck Joe. I have an aunt that lives in Little Elm. Do you think it'll eventually become suburbanized into the Fort Worth area or will it remain more rural?

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    Good luck Joe. I have an aunt that lives in Little Elm. Do you think it'll eventually become suburbanized into the Fort Worth area or will it remain more rural?
    Off-topic:
    Little Elm and the west side of Frisco are kind of merging together. There's not much of a Little Elm-Fort Worth connection, even though LE is in Denton County. Because we are on the east side of Lake Lewisville, it's really easier to commute south and east to southern Collin County and northern Dallas County. There will be some ruralness to the Little Elm area, as the northeastern branch of the lake creates lots of pockets that will be hard to develop. It's one of the things I like about LE as opposed to Frisco, which has endless flat land in all directions to just sprawl out on.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Congrats
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Joe, the best wishes for success in your new job. Congratulations!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Congrats on the new job! Best of luck to you!

Registered
    Aug 1997

Thanks!

Thank you all for the kind wishes. I think my new position will signficantly reduce my time available to slack on Cyburbia, but I'll still be around.

Joe
    JOE ILIFF

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    Thank you all for the kind wishes. I think my new position will signficantly reduce my time available to slack on Cyburbia, but I'll still be around.

Joe
    Congrats, Joe!

You hit the nail on the head. Moving to the "Dark Side" (as I've also done) does cut down on slacker time. But the upside is that you'll get a chance to look at planning issues from a wider perspective, rather than just one municipality's take on things.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Trader Joe's coming to Boston's South End
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 2:48 PM