Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Municipal parking garages in northern communities

Registered
    Nov 2002

Municipal parking garages in northern communities

Does anyone have any recent information on any of the following?
    • recent construction costs (estimate or actual) for new garage construction on a per space basis?
    • Average annual maintenance costs as a % of construction cost
    • Useful life of parking garages in regions with heavy winter salt use

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

I'll look into some of this stuff for you with our municipal garage (235 spaces), and re-post here later this week. Couple quick thoughts -- the concrete used in our garage was some special flexible product and regular melts were not advised. We're not in the snowbelt, but it's something you want to discuss with the architect/engineer early on.

Also, be sure the elevator (if one is included) is not on the end of the downslope
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2004

too much money

A recent (2004) study here of two potential parking garage sites put the per-space price tag at $41-$45,000.

We don't salt our roads, however--we use sand and gravel instead. I don't know about the maintenance cost.

Sorry no figures, however I find that water/drainage is a bigger maintenance problem than salt/snow

Poor maintenance of a drainage system, accumulation of water etc can cause alot of damage if left unnattended.

Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Does anyone have any recent information on any of the following?
    • recent construction costs (estimate or actual) for new garage construction on a per space basis?
    • Average annual maintenance costs as a % of construction cost
    • Useful life of parking garages in regions with heavy winter salt use

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    We took 2 RFP's for a garage on a city owned lot in the last 2 weeks. One developer proposed $12,000/space, the other $17,000/space. It all depends on design (although 40k is way higher than anything I've ever heard, did that come with a free drive-thru carwash?) The latter has done garages in Akron, OH and Cleveland, OH. The prior has done garages in Orlando, FLA. I would share names, but we have not selected a developer for it yet. We ourselves are looking to market a 260 space public lot into a potential retail-wrapped parking garage with residential space above the retail. We are very excited about this project and have two excellent proposals now on the table.

Don't have annual maintenance costs, but should be minimal, light bulb changes, re-striping.

Useful life should be about 50 yrs. Depending on the design, salt should not affect/deteriorate the concrete, you shouldn't be plowing inside the garage. On the top, maybe, but nothing else (ok, maybe the entrance too).
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Aug 2005

bump

can anyone help me find information on the construction cost of parking spaces? i'm looking for info on multi-level and surface parking.

thanks!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Some ballpark number that I've used based on previous projects:

Surface Lot = $1,500 per stall (Canadian dollars)
    Parkade Structure = $25,000 per stall (Canadian dollars)

this is really approximate stuff though, there's so much to consider that costs could easily be up or down by 50% or more. You might try calling a local engineering or construction company that has built some of these recently. They may be able to give you more relevant "ballpark" numbers. Hope that helps.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr View post
    We took 2 RFP's for a garage on a city owned lot in the last 2 weeks. One developer proposed $12,000/space, the other $17,000/space. It all depends on design (although 40k is way higher than anything I've ever heard, did that come with a free drive-thru carwash?) The latter has done garages in Akron, OH and Cleveland, OH. The prior has done garages in Orlando, FLA. I would share names, but we have not selected a developer for it yet. We ourselves are looking to market a 260 space public lot into a potential retail-wrapped parking garage with residential space above the retail. We are very excited about this project and have two excellent proposals now on the table.

Don't have annual maintenance costs, but should be minimal, light bulb changes, re-striping.

Useful life should be about 50 yrs. Depending on the design, salt should not affect/deteriorate the concrete, you shouldn't be plowing inside the garage. On the top, maybe, but nothing else (ok, maybe the entrance too).
    The newest downtown parking ramps here in Appleton were built of pre-fabricated concrete pieces and, IIRC, the city expects a 50 year life from them, too. They include 'snow pits' in the bottoms of their interior light shafts, where the snow that is removed from their upper levels is dumped and allowed to melt away in spring.

Although I have no cost figures (you'll have to contact the city's parking utility for that), they appear to be holding up well.

The two major hospitals here in Appleton now have parking structures, too, but I also have zero data on them.

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Jan 2015, 11:36 AM
  2. Converting parking garages to other uses
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 3:32 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 12 Sep 2011, 6:30 PM
  4. German parking garages