Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Political Typology

Registered
    Apr 2002

Political Typology

I don't know if this has already been posted here or not. However, El Guapo's suggestion for a cease fire reminded me of this site. So, what is your typology?

Take PEW Typology Questionnaire

Mine: Liberal
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Mine was liberal too. There are some answers that were more conservative leaning. Probably would be different depending on what type of questions they asked. But in real life I am mainly liberal.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Liberal, and proud of it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    liberal as well.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Mine was liberal too. There are some answers that were more conservative leaning. Probably would be different depending on what type of questions they asked. But in real life I am mainly liberal.
    Interesting, I lean more to the conservative side and thought some questions leaned liberal. I guess that must mean it was a pretty fair survey

BTW my results: social conservative

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Ditto on the liberalism.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Liberal here too.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Enterpriser

Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Enterpriser typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues.

Enterprisers represent 9 percent of the American public, and 10 percent of registered voters.

I am not sure how I feel about that.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Looks like I am an: Upbeat
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Liberal- SHOCKING!!! (not)

It says I'm a "disadvantaged democrat." Ouch.

Least financially secure of all the groups, these voters are very anti-business, and strong supporters of government efforts to help the needy. Minorities account for a significant proportion of this group; nearly a third (32%) are black, roughly the same proportion as among Conservative Democrats. Levels of disapproval of George W. Bush job performance (91%) and candidate choice in 2004 (82% for Kerry) are comparable to those among Liberals.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Liberal - This is about right, but I think I am acutally more of a Green leaning liberal
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Chalk me up as another liberal!

I really don't think I fit into this category very well. I'm probably somewhere between Liberal and Conservative Democrat. I have a feeling some of those questions carried too much weight--they should have included a level of importance for each statement. Looking at some of those questions, I have a feeling some of us may get surprised at where we end up. Looking over the list, I'm willing to bet that many of the conservative planners on this site will fall into the "Pro-government Conservative" category.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Upbeat!! And who says there's a political bias in this forum?!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Upbeat
    Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Upbeat typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues.

Upbeats represent 11 percent of the American public, and 13 percent of registered voters.

Basic Description
    Upbeats express positive views about the economy, government and society. Satisfied with their own financial situation and the direction the nation is heading, these voters support George W. Bush’s leadership in economic matters more than on social or foreign policy issues. Combining highly favorable views of government with equally positive views of business and the marketplace, Upbeats believe that success is in people’s own hands, and that businesses make a positive contribution to society. This group also has a very favorable view of immigrants.

Defining Values
    Very favorable views of government performance and responsiveness defines the group, along with similarly positive outlook on the role of business in society. While most support the war in Iraq, Upbeats have mixed views on foreign policy – but most favor preemptive military action against countries that threaten the U.S. Religious, but decidedly moderate in views about social and cultural issues.

Who They Are
    Relatively young (26% are under 30) and well-educated, Upbeats are the second wealthiest group after Enterprisers (39% have household incomes of $75,000 or more). The highest proportion of Catholics (30%) and white mainline Protestants (28%) of all groups, although fewer than half (46%) attend church weekly. Mostly white (87%), suburban, and married, they are evenly split between men and women.

Lifestyle Notes
    High rate of stock ownership (42%, 2nd after Enterprisers).

2004 Election
    Bush 63%, Kerry 14%.

Party ID
    56% Independent/No Preference, 39% Republican, 5% Democrat (73% Rep/LeanRep)

Media Use
    Upbeats are second only to Liberals in citing the internet as their main news source (34% compared with 23% nationwide); 46% also cite newspapers. No more or less engaged in politics than the national average.

Note: All descriptions and percentages are based on the national sample of adults surveyed by telephone in December. Based on your answers to the survey questions, you most closely resemble survey respondents within this group, even though you may differ significantly on one or more issues or traits.

In the overall typology there is a ninth group called “Bystanders” who are defined as adults who are not registered, who do not follow news about government and public affairs, and who say they rarely or never vote.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Liberial - and will stay that way

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Upbeat
    Holy cr@p, we have the same views on this political stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Now, I am affraid of myself.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Liberal all the way Baby!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am el Guapo 's clone.

i am upbeat

By chance, el Guapo was the person that provided you with the male portion of the genetic material that makes up what we now know as you, a traveling salesmen(i figure roving hippie would be out of the question) in western North Carolina during the 70s? If so i might be your long lost brother.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Leftward leaning Libertarian.

As a Christian, I believe that it is important for people to be free and learn from their mistakes. It is always the communities responsibility to provide for basic human needs. I guess you could say that I am fiscally liberal and socially Anglican
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Disaffected...I am not sure I agree with this.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Liberal here

Liberal here as well, which surpises me. I thought I'd be moderate. I guess what tripped me was the questions regarding corporations, that and I still believe that government has a positive role to play in people's lives.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I do not like this survey. There is more than just the right wing and the left wing. There is the Social Authoritarians and Libertarians. If you really want to have a good idea of where you stand politically check out www.politicalcompass.org and find out where you fit into the whole political plane.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto
    I do not like this survey. There is more than just the right wing and the left wing. There is the Social Authoritarians and Libertarians. If you really want to have a good idea of where you stand politically check out www.politicalcompass.org and find out where you fit into the whole political plane.
    I just took that one and got these scores:

Economic Left-Right (lefts are negative numbers): -6-63
    Social Libertarian-Authoritarian (Libertarian is negative): -3.64

I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of Nelson Mandela based on their famous people chart. This seems more in-line with my beliefs.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 115
    Last post: 15 Jan 2014, 8:24 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 12:02 PM
  3. Political Will - Bozeman, MT
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 11:44 AM
  4. The non-political political thread