Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Businesses that attract rustics AIB kms

Registered
    Feb 2004

Businesses that attract rustics AIB kms

Quote Originally posted by kms
    Cracker Barrel has rustic customers
    This is a good observation. Anecdotally, I have noted a significantly higher percentage of crusty old farts, codgers, and whiskey tango back-woods types at these establishments than found in the general population. What is it about Cracker Barrel that appeals to this demographic?

Any other businesses you've observed that seem to attract disproportionate number of "rustic" or "unrefined" customers?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Other than my town in general, the crusty old types and the "others" hang out at:

The local feed and seed store
    Coyote Canyon - a buffet of some kind
    In the more rural parts, the local gas station that sells coffee has a couple seats
    For some odd reason all the old guys hang out at McDonald's for their morning coffee - I think this is a local thing, not a national trend.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Bars with rough wood siding.

Convenience stores with extensive fishing sections (Fly shops attract a more upscale clientele).

A convenience store that also has a post office.

The local VFW.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post

For some odd reason all the old guys hang out at McDonald's for their morning coffee - I think this is a local thing, not a national trend.
    Your local is my local then. Old guys abound at the McD's and at the little food courts in front of Super Targets? They love those.

I would also add those all-you-can-eat Chinese Buffets that are always located in like three units of a bad strip mall, you know? They might as well be truck stops.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm......

VFW's can't compete with the American Legion on level of crust or put another way, if Dean Martin and Jackie Gleason had a baby and that baby grew up seeking admission to a typical American Legion, he or she would have trouble keeping up
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    * Old-timey hobby shops, anybody? Not the places catering to the fedora-and-neckbeard crowd with board games, comics, and collectable action figures, but rather, the stores that sell scale model trains, cars, planes, and boats. They're a dying breed.

* Radio hobby stores; places that sell ham radios, CB radios, scanners, and so on. Ever been to a hamfest?

'Nuff said.

* Rural gas station/convenience stores with booth seating.

* Walmart.

* Waffle House.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    VFW's can't compete with the American Legion on level of crust or put another way, if Dean Martin and Jackie Gleason had a baby and that baby grew up seeking admission to a typical American Legion, he or she would have trouble keeping up
    Should I mention I have my American Legion card? Never actually go to any meetings. I hear the one in town has a full time bar.

Add gun shops to the list and in my case, senior centers or anywhere you can get a meal for under $2.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Add to the list breakfast restaurants, diners, and dollar stores.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Don't forget old man barbershops.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dollar stores, country buffets and Cici's pizza. Oh and the PV Club down the road from me. The address was Chicken St. until the township renamed it a few years ago.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm

Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Should I mention I have my American Legion card? Never actually go to any meetings. I hear the one in town has a full time bar.

Add gun shops to the list and in my case, senior centers or anywhere you can get a meal for under $2.
    Makes me wonder if there are any American Legion posts in the State of Utah?? Wait a minute....isn't it easier to get a private drinking club in Utah? Anyone from Utah ever see an American Legion out there?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Makes me wonder if there are any American Legion posts in the State of Utah?? Wait a minute....isn't it easier to get a private drinking club in Utah? Anyone from Utah ever see an American Legion out there?
    Yep. American Legion had a post in the city I worked for until recently. Elks and Eagles and Lions all have private club licenses and regularly are know to drink themselves into charitable oblivion.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Any business in the UP...

Breakfast Restaurants on any day other than Sunday
    Tractor Supply
    Auto part stores
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    MCL cafeteria, senior centers. I know some retired guys who hang out at Mickey D's. It's for the coffee and to flirt with the front counter girls.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Around here in Hillbilly Heaven, where probably 80% of the population is either "rustic" or "rustic with money", the question should be, what businesses don't attract rustics? Leading that list, of course, would be Wegmans Supermarkets and Starbucks. I'd include Chautauqua Institute, but I'm not sure that qualifies as a "business". Of course without Chautauqua, we probably wouldn't have Wegmans or Starbucks ...
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Yep. American Legion had a post in the city I worked for until recently. Elks and Eagles and Lions all have private club licenses and regularly are know to drink themselves into charitable oblivion.
    My father belonged to the Elks. Thankfully the clubhouse was right around the corner from his house

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    MCL cafeteria, senior centers. I know some retired guys who hang out at Mickey D's. It's for the coffee and to flirt with the front counter girls.
    The old farts love McD's in the mornings. So many funny stories over the years dealing with them. My favorite one used to tell all the counter workers "Don't stick your finger in my coffee and fill it all the way to the brim. I want my money's worth!"
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Did anyone mention county commission/city council meetings? I think McD's is just a precursor to the gubmint meeting.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Around here in Hillbilly Heaven, where probably 80% of the population is either "rustic" or "rustic with money", the question should be, what businesses don't attract rustics? Leading that list, of course, would be Wegmans Supermarkets and Starbucks. I'd include Chautauqua Institute, but I'm not sure that qualifies as a "business". Of course without Chautauqua, we probably wouldn't have Wegmans or Starbucks ...
    Nah they are around for the Lucille Ball festival. I spent one night in the Holiday Inn Jamestown, While out for a walk early one evening there was this crappy old GM coupe full of tatooed nar-do-wells pulled up beside me and asked me where the nearest strip bar was. I just about busted a gut lauging at them. Do you happen to know them?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Sep 2014, 3:37 PM
  2. Opposites attract
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Oct 2010, 2:58 PM
  3. Birds of a Feather/Opposites Attract
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 25 Oct 2008, 9:12 AM