Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unusual travel souvenir

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Unusual travel souvenir

Here is a good memorial day thread. What is the most unusual souvenir that you have from a trip/vacation? I normally collect refriginator magnets and our frig is covered with them. However, the most unusal souvenir I have is a pair of Iverson's snowshoes from the UP, that and a Madri Gras mask from New Orleans.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have a fake plastic shell from Disney's private island. All the shells on the beach are identical.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I like to collect refrigerator magnets as well, but I wouldn't consider them unusual. When I was younger, my mom would always bring back a stuffed monkey from wherever she went for me. Of course, I still have all of them - about 5 total. I remember one is from New York and another is from Mexico. I forgot where the others are from.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We collect all sorts of strange things for keepsakes when my wife and I travel. On our brickabrack shelf there's a bottlecap that came from a memorable bottle of beer drank in southern Minnesota 13 years ago, a burned stick used to poke a campfire in New Glarus state park, a dried out stalk of wheat pilfered from a farm in Nebraska, a petoskey stone from, well, a camping trip in Petosky. We also tend to hold on to brochures picked up from tourist traps (Irish Hills is a good cheesy brochure).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I really had the hots for this undergrad archie student when I was at BSU. I was taking a trip to Texas and she asked me to bring her back an armadillo shell plate. I looked everywhere but the only ones I ever saw were still attached to the road kill that had until recently been using it.

I didn't get one and I didn't get any.

I really don't have any unique souvenirs.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Virginia backscratcher that I bought a Natural Bridge is the most practical souvenir. My favorite is a piece of pink marble that I pried from a road cut in New England while on a geology field trip.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    A Korean that I bought at a night market in Seoul.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    A Korean that I bought at a night market in Seoul.
    Wow. I've heard you could buy just about anything over there, but an actual Koean? How much are they going for these days? Are they a lot of hassle to care for?

I've never brought back anything too unusal from vacation. Mostly post cards and rocks, the coolest of which is a piece of calcite (I think) from one of the geysers in Yellowstone.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I've never brought back anything too unusal from vacation. Mostly post cards and rocks, the coolest of which is a piece of calcite (I think) from one of the geysers in Yellowstone.
    i usually stick to rocks but i was in San Antonio(sp?), TX once at the the Alamo Dome or whatever the arena there is called and the handle to the sink in the restroom fell off into my hands so i interpreted that as being texas gift to me. Thank you Texas.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Being a hockey fan and guitar picker, I usually try to find hockey pucks and unique guitar picks. The SO collects rocks. We were on a trip to SD a few years back, and loaded up the truck with rocks. No idea of the weight, but had to replace the rear shocks when we got back.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I have a fake plastic shell from Disney's private island. All the shells on the beach are identical.

What souvenirs are found in PC?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    What souvenirs are found in PC?
    I'll let you know tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I usually buy local, handmade stuff when I'm on vacation. Bought some beautiful handmade headscarves in the Siwa Oasis, Egypt. They are so beautiful that I want to get one framed someday. I also tend to buy silver jewelry when on vacation. I have a ring I bought in Cairo and a ring I bought in Greece that rarely ever come off. I also wear a carnelian/silver pendant that I bought in Greece that I rarely remove. But I don't really find stuff like that bizarre.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I brought a rock back from Wyoming once. I lugged it about a mile back to the car. It weighs about 50 pounds. There is nothing particularly special about it, but it has a depression in it that collects water when it rains, and the birds will come drink from it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

BUMP THE THREAD

Hey, why not bump a 9 year old thread...

I work for a tourist waterfront town, and there is a good collection of stores dedicated towards selling souvenirs. Mostly t-shirts and such.

For me, the most unusual travel souvenir might be a large chunk of Jacobsville Sandstone and I picked up from the Lake Superior shoreline during my last visit to Marquette. I knew it was going to be quite some time before I get back up there, and I wanted something to bring back with me.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2006
    Weirdest Travel Souvenir for me was railroad spike from the Catskills...it punctured my hiking boot when I stepped on it. It was obscured by some leaf litter and soil. I kept it to remind me of the good times in NY.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW

would a College Diploma count ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm.....

An alligator head from Chocoloskee Florida
    About 75 pounds of slate/shale rock from Western Colorado
    Samburu spear from Central Kenya
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We purchase at least one piece of art from a local artist on each vacation. I've gotten some really cool stuff over the years.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not so unusual - postcards.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Sand, kept in jars, from Cannon Beach

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I have a rock I picked up off a beach of the Smith River, Montana. Just a water-rounded piece of granite. Unusual only in that getting a float permit for the Smith River is by lottery and I've only gotten lucky once.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Sand, kept in jars, from Cannon Beach
    Oregon? That's the place I selected to visit the Pacific (my first time) when I was in Portland a few years ago (well six years now that I think about it). Didn't keep any sand though.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Hey, why not bump a 9 year old thread...

I work for a tourist waterfront town, and there is a good collection of stores dedicated towards selling souvenirs. Mostly t-shirts and such.

For me, the most unusual travel souvenir might be a large chunk of Jacobsville Sandstone and I picked up from the Lake Superior shoreline during my last visit to Marquette. I knew it was going to be quite some time before I get back up there, and I wanted something to bring back with me.
    Do you know where I can get one of those great lakes silhouettes? I have tried truck stops to no avail. It seems to me that I see enough of them, you would think they would be more readily available.

I am not much into collecting stuff. I do however keep a North American atlas that I try to update and highlight the roads I have been on!

In Ireland I bought an expensive cable knit sweater, but me being a dumb-@$$ I totally forgot to hand dry it. Was going to give it to my Nieces when they were young, but they moved to Orange County, CA.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 25 Jul 2014 at 11:07 AM.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Do you know where I can get one of those great lakes silhouettes?
    If someone is nice I could cut this out on my scrollsaw for Christmas or something. Maybe when I'm bored some weekend and have some decent wood to cut with, but I'll let you do the mounting and finishing yourself.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Dec 2011, 1:20 PM
  2. Unusual Units of Measure
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 10 Sep 2010, 8:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Nov 2009, 8:34 AM
  4. Unusual Home Décor