2 4.00%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gas or Charcoal

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Gas or Charcoal

Memorial Day weekend and most will be grillin out. What's your preference? I would NEVER consider a gas grill. Its charcoal all the way here. If your going to use gas, you might as well cook inside IMO. But I am in the minority, 65% use gas over charcoal. What about here in Cyburbia?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    When given the choice I prefer to cook over and open flame from a wood fire...however, I have a gas grill at the house now and to me it is noe like cooking inside, you have an open flame. I thought the same thing for years and used my little weber forever...but the lighter fluid and charcoal flavor dominated my portabellas and I just couldn't stomach it anymore..so I use my gas grill all the time (even in the winter and LOVE it) and use the little weber when I have energy and cash to get hickory chips to burn.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I voted for charcoal which is what I normally use at home; I just have a small tabletop grill.
    During the hurricane power outages last year, however, my Coleman camping stove/grill, using propane, came in very, very handy.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I use a small gas grill at home, but whenever we go camping we gril with charcoal. I prefer the flavor of charcoal grilled stuff. Never had wood grilled that I know of so I couldn't comment on it. In theory it sounds good, though.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I do love charcoal and wood, but with a small person to feed and an impatient Mr. TN, I have a gas grill, which I love. I do love to grill out and would prefer grilling on it all of the time if I had my choice because I having a hot kitchen unless it is the freezing winter. We grill out all of the time.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Gas grill for me. It's easier to control the temp and is practically on/off.

I grewup [edit]using gas grills[/edit ], so it's knida second nature.
    Last edited by mendelman; 27 May 2005 at 9:57 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    ....I grewup with gas, so it's knida second nature.
    Spare us the details.

Charcoal for me.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Prefer charcoal, but use gas.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I use gas to cook out only because it is fast and easy. I prefer the good old fashion way with charcoal but it is time prohibitative. Also when your just cooking one or two chicken breasts you need to much charcoal to get the heat up.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had both growing up. We mainly used gas, because we cooked out all the time. The same goes for me now, now that I am on my own. Plus the apartments I live at (for another week) only allows gas grills.
    We had a Weber growing up, and my Pops currently has his forth Weber. We will sometimes use that as well. Mainly we use charcoal for smoking a Thanksgiving turkey, and other smokables like a whole Salmon....

Someone mentioned using a grill EVEN in winter...
    I have never had a grilling season... it has always been all year for me, even when it is snowing!
    Do you guys only grill in Summer?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    my grilling season is also year round. I can be found with the grill in 10 degree weather, rain, or 100 degree heat.

I prefer to grill outside when it is in the 90-100 range. Cooking inside just makes the house too hot......even with the A/C cranked.

I am charcoal man, grew up on gas.. but charcoal flavor is far superior.

If you've ever had slow-cooked authentic ribs, you've had wood-cooked meat.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Someone mentioned using a grill EVEN in winter...
    I have never had a grilling season... it has always been all year for me, even when it is snowing!
    Do you guys only grill in Summer?
    We grill all year round. We grill t-bones for Christmas dinner, regardless of weather. We used to cook out every thursday night all year round.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I use charcoal and love it. As far as time, go it does take a little longer and but to do it right you need a charcoal chimney. I don't use any lighter fluid i just load the chimney and wad up two pieces of newspaper spritzed with cooking spray and 15 minutes later the coals are mostly white and ready. It is a little more effort but if your going to do it, do it right. Gas is for impatient pansies sorry gas grilling impatient pansies . Just remember both gas and charcoal are both carbon fuels and both have varing impacts on the environment , so we all should probably be solar cooking or grilling on the manifold of our cars during our comutes to work.

Registered
    Mar 2004

he he he.....

Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    I do love charcoal and wood, but with a small person to feed and an impatient Mr. TN, I have a gas grill, which I love. I do love to grill out and would prefer grilling on it all of the time if I had my choice because I having a hot kitchen unless it is the freezing winter. We grill out all of the time.
    I'm also impatient....and used to break out the grill in -20F (-who the hell cares C) weather....not to mention blizzards and wind storms
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I feel so primitive with my George Foreman grill.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Its Gas for me. I like Charcoal, I just can't be bothered

I grew up charcoal, Mrs. G grew up gas. Guess which we have.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We grill alot all year round so we use gas, it is so much faster.
    We have trouble enough remembering to lay something out to cook let alone thinking far enough ahead to start the coals, it would be midnight by the time we got to eat.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Being impatient people as well, we use gas, more or less year-round. When camping, we use our Coleman stove for stuff like coffee and pancakes, and the campfire for everything else. Charcoal and wood taste much better, but after one too many butane-flavored burgers, we gave up and got rid of the Weber. We're just kind of inept that way.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We grill year-round, and use a gas grill. Our old house had a JennAir stove, and that was handy! Next time I have an extra $2000, we'll get another.

We grill the usual grill foods, and home made pizza on the grill is good. My neighbor has a smoker, and I'm going to get one. I want to try to adapt it to pizza oven as well as smoker. My dream is to have a brick bake oven outside.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    How do you grill pizza? Do you use those premade Boboli shells, or flatbread, or homemade? I've heard about how good grilled pizza is, and would like to try it, but have no idea where to begin...
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 2005

"I'm not going to force propane on you. That's an insult to propane and to you. "
    Hank Hill
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    How do you grill pizza? Do you use those premade Boboli shells, or flatbread, or homemade? I've heard about how good grilled pizza is, and would like to try it, but have no idea where to begin...
    Roll, stretch or flatten dough and toss it on the hot grill. I heat the grill with one burner hot and one low; the dough goes on the low heat side. Cook one side, and put the toppings on the cooked side. Finish cooking it one the grill until the cheese melts. I haven't cooked pizza using charcoal, but you would cook over indirect heat.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I have a charcoal and cook with it at least once a week... I would grill more but it takes so long!!!!

Thus, I really want a gas grill also.

Gas for 'dinner' and charcoal for 'grill'n'
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a charcoal man myself, which has led to a few disagreements with the propane-lovin' Hank Hill-esque future father-in-law. There's nothing quite like the flavor you get from grilling over wood or charcoal no matter how much of the liquid smoke stuff you pour on. It also requires more skill, IMHO, since you have to compensate for the variable fire temperatures as the charcoal burns down.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. commercial charcoal production
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Apr 2005, 9:59 PM
  2. Charcoal or Gas?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Apr 2002, 4:15 PM