Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: APA Environment, Natural Resources, and Energy

Registered
    Apr 2005

APA Environment, Natural Resources, and Energy

Did anyone else get suckered in paying division dues to APA, specifically for the Environmental, Natural Resources, and Energy Division? Do they do anything? Serve any purpose? Do any of the divisions do anything?

Between my local chapter sucking (which I am forced to pay for anyway) and this apparently useless division membership, I'm getting the feeling that this APA thing is one huge ripoff. What a shocker, huh?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by spunky2
    Did anyone else get suckered in paying division dues to APA, specifically for the Environmental, Natural Resources, and Energy Division? Do they do anything? Serve any purpose? Do any of the divisions do anything?

Between my local chapter sucking (which I am forced to pay for anyway) and this apparently useless division membership, I'm getting the feeling that this APA thing is one huge ripoff. What a shocker, huh?
    And it will only get worse. Wait until you try to go to a national conference or use PAS.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Sniff, Sniff, I think you just smelled the coffee.

For a long time I thought the whole thing was a rip off. My state (Michigan) has some pretty high dues, but in the last couple years the Michgian Planner, a publication they put out has gotten better. We also have a pretty good yearly confer. As for the national APA? I don't get much out of them but bills.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    My state (Michigan) has some pretty high dues, but in the last couple years the Michgian Planner, a publication they put out has gotten better. We also have a pretty good yearly confer.
    Wow the Michigan conference is good?? I get suspicious of it because most of them seem to be held at the Grand Hotel or other resorts that I know my agency would not pay for.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Lucky Michigan. Nevada doesn't even have a conference... not even one of those regional deals where they combine with 10 other states. And newsletter... HAH!

Ok so, what is PAS? Why would I need to use it?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by spunky2

Ok so, what is PAS? Why would I need to use it?
    Planning Advisory Service. You pay a fee for a staff person to research various topics for you. They will compile a stack of articles, websites, etc. and mail it to you. If you have half a brain, know about Cyburbia, and know just a tad bit about the powers of Google, you can spare yourself the agony of paying someone else to do that for you. Unless, of course, that's what you prefer....
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Planning Advisory Service. You pay a fee for a staff person to research various topics for you. They will compile a stack of articles, websites, etc. and mail it to you.
    You mean people actually get paid to do this job. Glad to see my dues are going to a worthy cause.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Planning Advisory Service. You pay a fee for a staff person to research various topics for you. They will compile a stack of articles, websites, etc. and mail it to you. If you have half a brain, know about Cyburbia, and know just a tad bit about the powers of Google, you can spare yourself the agony of paying someone else to do that for you. Unless, of course, that's what you prefer....
    Hey! You can always hire a consultant...
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A Most Natural Hobby
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 64
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:53 PM
  2. Death By Natural Causes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 06 Apr 2010, 6:57 PM
  3. Replies: 1