Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone else get tossed new job responsibilities?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Anyone else get tossed new job responsibilities?

As my sig line the last few weeks has indicated, I was given the task of raising funds for a new amphitheater. I managed, even though I don't think I'm good at it, to take a $5k grant and build up to around 90 to 100 thousand in cash, materials, and labor.

Man... I would hate to do that for a living.

Anyone else get stuck like that?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2005

very impressive

that is some impresive work! you took coal and made it diamonds.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Not too much, but I will start looking for grants and funding to do my Thesis this fall, winter, next spring, summer, fall, and winter.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think my job is to always take on the work of others that leave. I have no time to be proactive. I inherited the land-use planner's job back in December/January and now my other economic development person is leaving today so all of the projects I gave her about a year ago are all coming back...like a bad penny.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I did last year, though much of it was simply formalizing responsibilities I had already taken over. The 2 big new responsibilities for me are overseeing the Capital Improvements Planning process and running our department's internship program.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We end up being the catch all for anything that doesn't seem to 'fit' in another department. The tech that works under me does addressing, so we ended up inheriting 'park naming' as well recently. We are going through some growing pains in our building, so we recently got elected to do significant work on space planning for additional offices. I think it's because it has the word 'planning' in it. The list goes on and on... we get all the fun hand-me-downs!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    I was the planner for a Devils Lake, North Dakota, maybe some of you have heard of it if you pay attention to environmental and international issues. Working there I got handed something new everyday (mostly things no one else wanted to do), ranging from land acquisition for flooding easements, grant writing, to walking the tops of the levee with politicians. The City Engineer was in Iraq for six months so all his duties were split up between capable employees and an engineering firm. Of course along with all the everday planning stuff. All this for my first job out of grad school, pretty overwhelming but fun.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner
    that is some impresive work! you took coal and made it diamonds.
    I'll post a pic of it when we finish it!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2002
    All of the time! Although I really do enjoy new assignments (creates some diversity and challenges) sometimes they come my way when I am EXTREMELY busy with everything else. Then it's a bummer.

Also, new responsibilities expand my knowledge of processes in other Divisions which explains the "big picture."

Fundraising =

You went above & beyond!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    All of the time! Although I really do enjoy new assignments (creates some diversity and challenges) sometimes they come my way when I am EXTREMELY busy with everything else. Then it's a bummer.

Also, new responsibilities expand my knowledge of processes in other Divisions which explains the "big picture."

Fundraising =

You went above & beyond!
    We don't have a public works department (privatized) or a public works director. Guess what ends up on my desk? Public works contract administration . I'm also the parks coordinator and website administrator, but those are kind of fun. All of this plus I'm a one-man planning department with oversight of Building and Code Enforcement. I'm planning a wedding & honeymoon and we are starting our budget cycle next week! But where am I? Slacking on Cyburbia!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Anything that comes along that I cannot pawn off, err I mean delegate is my job.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Training for new responsibilities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 5:09 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Mar 2007, 5:51 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 10:14 PM