Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worst American EVER! (AIB Greatest American Thread)

Registered
    Oct 2001

Worst American EVER! (AIB Greatest American Thread)

Ok, Let's come up with the top 100 WORST AMERICANS EVER.
    Thanks to Ski for his thread of inspiration.

Someone alert the media, meanwhile I'll start:

Comic Book Man says, "OJ, you're the Worst American EVER!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Comic_Book-Guy.jpg  

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Ted Kaczinski
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Timothy McVeigh

bombing innocent citizens ranks him near the top
    Last edited by mendelman; 31 May 2005 at 4:36 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'll have to think about it. I could see the heat rising if someone nominates someone of a political background...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Benedict Arnold
    Aaron Burr
    John Wilks Booth
    Joe McCarthy

down the list - George Steinbrenner (runs away quickly)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Pfc. Lynndie England
    Ken Lay
    Ethel and Julius Rosenburg
    Hanoi Jane Fonda
    The Dixie Chicks

Registered
    May 2003
    Senile old actor who managed to destroy the grandest social state ever sucessfully implemented while putting the country 6 trillion dollars in the hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reagan-wiggled.jpg  

AIB JNA:
    Sirhan Sirhan
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    Squeaky Fromme
    John Hinckley, Jr.
    Salmon P. Chase (IIRC his image is on the $50,000 bill...)
    Batter up!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Senile old actor who managed to destroy the grandest social state ever sucessfully implemented while putting the country 6 trillion dollars in the hole.

That's just pandering to the crowd here at Cyburbia.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Timothy McVeigh
    Nathan Bedford Forrest - brutal soldier and founder of the KKK
    Alexander Graham Bell (g**-damn telephone)
    William Randolph Hearst ("You provide the pictures, I'll supply the war.")
    Col. John Chivington (hero at Glorieta Pass, N.M., monster at Sand Creek, CO)

and the most controversial submission:

Robert E. Lee - a greater traitor than Arnold and responsible for the killing of more U.S. soldiers than any man before or since. Portrayed nobly, I know. But he resigned from the U.S. Army and took up arms against a country he had sworn to protect. He said he was fighting for Virginia. Or perhaps he also fought to maintain his ability to make slaves work on his wife's plantation. Only positive aspect - his wife's plantation now is the site of our greatest national cemetary where real heroes are buried and honored.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The dude(ette) that invented NEXTEL Phones!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Jim Jones (of People's Temple fame)
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This "Worst American" list is tougher than the "Best" list. I scanned through the names posted and they included assasins, personalities who committed horendous crimes, unknowns who became known after commiting horendous crimes, politicians, military folks.

If the criteria I would use is somewhere along the lines of "who was responsible for the largest number of UNNECESSARY deaths?", my first pull of the voting lever would be for Timothy McVeigh. Both political wings could argue for and against a number of Presidents and other politicians who sent our servicemen off to fight wars. Nobody is going to win that argument.....war is evil, but sometimes required to protect the best interests of the world (such as our involvement in World War II).

On this list I would never include those who certainly had influence on our country, good or bad, but not nearly enough to be on this list: The Dixie Chicks, Jane Fonda, Orenthal Simpson, Joe McCarthy, Lee Harvey Oswald, Nathan Bedford Forrest, etc.

My vote would echo Otterpop's .....Robert E. Lee, for all of the reasons so well expressed by our Montana Cyburbanite.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Mark David Chapman
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Lee was on record as being against slavery, and in order to understand the "traitor" aspect you have to understand that until the Civil War the individual states were more important than the union they formed. Indeed, *that's* what the Civil War was really over - whether the US would continue to be a loose federation of more or less independent nations or a single nation with internal divisions. The point is you put the man between a rock and a hard place with the traitor label, since at the time being a traitor to ones state was generally considered to be worse than being a traitor to the union (especially in the south)... Or in other words, you're projecting today's values on someone who lived in a very different world. Sort of like faulting Washington for owning slaves.

I also think it’s a bit premature to put Pfc England in that group, and that a much better case could made for Rumsfeld.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North

If the criteria I would use is somewhere along the lines of "who was responsible for the largest number of UNNECESSARY deaths?", my first pull of the voting lever would be for Timothy McVeigh. Both political wings could argue for and against a number of Presidents and other politicians who sent our servicemen off to fight wars. Nobody is going to win that argument.....war is evil, but sometimes required to protect the best interests of the world (such as our involvement in World War II).

Bear
    As far as presidents go well I won't mention a certain president that disgraced the office and soiled a a blue dress but a variety of political figures could go there. I would lean toward americans who do unamerican acts. The Michigan Malita comes to mind.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cirrus
    Lee was on record as being against slavery, and in order to understand the "traitor" aspect you have to understand that until the Civil War the individual states were more important than the union they formed. Indeed, *that's* what the Civil War was really over - whether the US would continue to be a loose federation of more or less independent nations or a single nation with internal divisions. The point is you put the man between a rock and a hard place with the traitor label, since at the time being a traitor to ones state was generally considered to be worse than being a traitor to the union (especially in the south)... Or in other words, you're projecting today's values on someone who lived in a very different world. Sort of like faulting Washington for owning slaves.

I also think it’s a bit premature to put Pfc England in that group, and that a much better case could made for Rumsfeld.
    Lee might have been "on record" as being against slavery (though I do not know this), but he didn't seem to have any problem sitting on the veranda with his mint julep and watching Negroes work without compensation on his wife's plantation, and being hunted down if they escaped.

The South left the Union because Abraham Lincoln was elected president, which was feared to be the first step in the abolition of slavery. The United States entered the war because Rebel artillery shelled a U.S. military installation.

States rights is what people often say is what the Civil War was about. I believe what it was always about, deep down, was whether our nation divided over whether one people had the right to enslave another people for economic purposes could continue. The controversy might have been settled peacefully and diplomatically had not the Confederacy attacked a U.S. fort. No slavery, no reason for the Civil War. Period.

Robert E. Lee had choices. Stay out of the conflict, as others did, for example, Sam Houston. Or not honor the oath he took when he was commissioned in the U.S. Army. He chose the latter. The blood of hundreds of thousands of U.S. soldiers slain stained Lee's hands.

I say this as a person born in Texas and rasied in Louisiana. My ancestors fought in the Confederate Army. They owned slaves. As as child, when we played soldier everyone wanted to be a Confederate. So did I. I was wrong then.

Slavery was wrong then. It has always been wrong. To head an army to preserve the enslavement of a people and to lead that army to kill the men who wish to preserve the Union was wrong. Robert E. Lee was wrong. I see nothing noble in the Southern Cause. What he did was wrong.

Had he sat out the war I would have respected him. He chose to take up arms against my country. That I do not respect.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I would add George Custer to the list.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    I would add George Custer to the list.
    How about whoever gave Custer his orders?
    Everyone who fought for the south?
    As Cirrus said: "Or in other words, you're projecting today's values on someone who lived in a very different world. Sort of like faulting Washington for owning slaves."
    So if Washington had slaves, how is he "good" but Lee is "bad"?
    It is just too easy to blame historical figures for acting in the context of their times.

Just my 2 cents.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't know who I would say is the 'worst' American, but I firmly believe Lyndon LaRouche is a total nut and I'm glad the American people have not elected him to office & Californians in particular have yet to pass any of his legislation. Score 1 for voters.

End. of. discussion.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat

End. of. discussion.
    I'm not ready to go there yet.

But there are a lot of forces at work which could put "W" in the #1 spot when historians look back. It's going to be a question whether he is seen as a person who squandered a lot of opportunities (which he has) or whether his bad judgement ruined America's promise of freedom. I would like to see the history books in 2030 on W's presidency.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004

lee

I agree with a lot of what Otterpop is saying. It rankles me when people suggest that the civil war was about state's rights. It wasn't. It was about the right of a citizen in a state to hold slaves.

But then again, I don't know if I would agree that Lee can hold the position of worst american ever. I feel like maybe you have to be a bit more selfish and calculating. Someone who understands the horribleness of what they are doing but does it anyway, for wealth or image or just because they can get away with it. I don't know much about the Civil War, but I could understand the perspective that maybe Lee was largely fufilling other's expectations of him, not necessarily for personal gain, though I'm sure he was considering his reputation and his wealth. I don't know.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't think Presidents should be considered because at least they serve their country, whether or not you agree with their agenda or not. However, local politicians such as James Traficant and Tom Delay are a different story IMO.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    The Civil War was also about economics. The new 'nation' in the South was ready to cut the middle man (Northern industry) out and deal directly with the Europe on exporting raw materials including lumber and cotton. This is why the cotton gin was invented to process the raw cotton fiber more efficiently so more slaves were needed to handle the demand.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. LSE MSc to American Phd
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Jul 2006, 12:55 AM
  2. Greatest American
    Friday Afternoon Club