Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: So, who else did (is doing) the "work fulltime and go to collge" routine?

Registered
    Nov 2004

So, who else did (is doing) the "work fulltime and go to collge" routine?

I'm in the process and it's definitely not easy. Makes me wish I would've had my sh*t together back when I was 18 and free of bills. Then again, I feel like I'm getting more out of it since I'm more mature and work harder and making good grades (4.0 so far). I took 6 hours last half-semester, taking 6 hours this summer, and taking 9 hours in the Fall. I plan to keep up a year-round schedule until I finally finish. This is on top of working a fulltime job and then my other responsibilities at home. We're also buying our house and getting married next year on top of it all.

I know some others on here have done this (and maybe even much more). How did you get through it? Was it hard to stay motivated and keep your grades up? Would you say that it was all worth it in the end? I know it will go by faster than I think but it's still hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes After the fall I will have 37 hours left to finish.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I did not work full time during school, but I wish you the best and envy your (and others who work and learn) spirit in the quest for education.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I worked full-time and went to grad school for my first year, but just went to school the second. It was just too hard to work and go to grad school.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I worked nearly full-time to full time (35-40 hours/week) during my undergrad. I wouldn't suggest anyone attempt 21 hours over a summer while working full time- you'll go crazy. Trust me.

I'm going back for my masters and I'll still be working full time, but it shouldn't be that bad.

As far as staying motivated- that wasn't hard. I had to do well. My first sememster at Texas State I didn't have a car so I had to get from Austin to school on the shuttle and still work to pay for school. I knew what I wanted to do and I wanted to get it over with a.s.a.p. I sacrificed a social life for it most of the time, but I don't regret it one bit. I think motivation this time around may be a little harder since we'll have a newborn in the house, but ah well, we'll manage and I've got a better support system now.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I work full time and school part time. I sucked at school when I was young and now I'm pretty good at it -besides English.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I work full time while getting a graduate degree in Business Administration. I've gone year round except taking one semester off to study for the AICP exam and train for a ski race. It's tough but I like the fact that I will be debt-free when I graduate.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I worked 3 jobs while I was in college (undergrad) I think it was about 35-40 hours a week and took a full load with 2 majors, married, sorority etc.

Yes major burned out by the time it was done and now have zero desire to go to grad school.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I worked nearly full-time to full time (35-40 hours/week) during my undergrad. I wouldn't suggest anyone attempt 21 hours over a summer while working full time- you'll go crazy. Trust me.

I'm going back for my masters and I'll still be working full time, but it shouldn't be that bad.

As far as staying motivated- that wasn't hard. I had to do well. My first sememster at Texas State I didn't have a car so I had to get from Austin to school on the shuttle and still work to pay for school. I knew what I wanted to do and I wanted to get it over with a.s.a.p. I sacrificed a social life for it most of the time, but I don't regret it one bit. I think motivation this time around may be a little harder since we'll have a newborn in the house, but ah well, we'll manage and I've got a better support system now.
    You are the man! I know how far it is to San Marcos from here and I know how ridiculously hard it is to schedule undergrad classes at TxState if you work during the day. I could never do that.

The main that that's going to be bad for me is my amount of debt when I'm done. St. Edward's costs $532 per credit hour

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    You are the man! I know how far it is to San Marcos from here and I know how ridiculously hard it is to schedule undergrad classes at TxState if you work during the day. I could never do that.

The main that that's going to be bad for me is my amount of debt when I'm done. St. Edward's costs $532 per credit hour
    LOL, thanks. Luckily, for part of my employment, the City of Austin was doing flex schedules where I'd work 4-10s from 3 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday (and I got to count that job as an internship as well). Otherwise I was logging that much as a waitress so my schedule was much more flexible than a traditional full-time schedule. I was still single though, so it worked for me at that time. Forget me trying to do that now, it'd never happen.

That much per credit hour? I'm going to be paying about that much for my masters, but I'll get about 80% paid for by my husband's employer and my job will pick up the other 20% (hopefully, we'll see if I want to be an endentured servant for years to come to pay them back in time worked).
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    LOL, thanks. Luckily, for part of my employment, the City of Austin was doing flex schedules where I'd work 4-10s from 3 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday (and I got to count that job as an internship as well). Otherwise I was logging that much as a waitress so my schedule was much more flexible than a traditional full-time schedule. I was still single though, so it worked for me at that time. Forget me trying to do that now, it'd never happen.

That much per credit hour? I'm going to be paying about that much for my masters, but I'll get about 80% paid for by my husband's employer and my job will pick up the other 20% (hopefully, we'll see if I want to be an endentured servant for years to come to pay them back in time worked).
    lol, I have also worked the 3-1 shift at the City when I was a temp. Send me a PM... I probably know who you are

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Full-time during my days animating in Pittsburgh, full-time during school in Buffalo. Had to go with my work ethic since the paperboy days.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am debating it right now. It is not the work or $$$ that is scaring me, but having my schedule dictated by someone else for the next 3 years, especially in the summer. Just want to get it done, while my GMAT score is still slightly above average.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    When I was in College I worked full time at the ski hill as a Manager and took full time classes. Now I am taking full time Grad classes and working full time as a Zoning / Codes guy.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2004
    For undergrad, I only worked in the summers, and then it was usually 2 jobs. I worked on campus my senior year, which was my easiest year since I'd busted my butt the first 3 and took 18 hours each semester.
    Grad school was full time school, 2 part-time jobs at first. One internship with a city, one at a bookstore. That lasted the first two semesters. From then on it was work full time, school full or part time, depending on which required classes were offered on weekends. I did end up finishing on time, but it was a killer on my budget. Work didn't pay for any of it, so I was on my own there.

I feel your pain on the work and school thing. I did lose some motivation through the 21/2 years of school, but I coped by being ruthless about my free time. I lost a boyfriend while in school, but it wasn't a great loss. He wasn't that supportive of my educational efforts, anyway. If anyone tries to tell you that they are more important than your desire to learn, dump them fast.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Yes, waited tables and bartended my entire time doing my undergrad, last semester was pregnant, commuted home (3 hrs) every weekend to work my 2nd job and took 21 hours (and got a 4.0 )...looking back that doesn't seem nearly as hard as working 50 + - hour a week, raising the 2 little ones on my own and starting grad school...we shall see in the fall... I am only taking one class the first semester and will add more as I get back into the swing of things.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    As an undergrad I worked as a RA for three years. It sounds like an easy job, but it was really very time consuming with lots of paperwork and counseling students. Also, I worked in a predominantly athletic dorm, which has it's own unique issues, especially in the off season. The last year I was the Senior RA for the dorm, which meant that not only did I write-up violations, I also adjudicated a few and supervised the rest of the RAs. I maintained 16-18 hour courseloads while doing that.

I'm now working full time as a Planning Director and attending grad school at night. I've taken six hours the past two semesters, but am only taking three in the fall because of scheduling conflicts with evening meetings.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I worked part time at Eckerds, sometimes full time...depending on how many hours I could wrestle out of the store manager, while carrying a full course load in undergrad.

First year of grad school, I worked full time while I had a part time course load. The next 2 years, I carried a full course load and worked as a graduate assistant. My last semester, I worked full time while I completed my thesis/final project.

How did I stay motivated? It was fairly easy. In undergrad, I knew I didn't want to work at Eckerd's for the rest of my life, like some of the people there. At the time, I had plans to go to law school, so I knew I had to keep my grades up.

By the time grad school rolled around, I postponed law school plans and ended up in planning. The same things motivated me. I worked at a hotel the first year and I didn't want to make a career out of it as some of my coworkers had done.

You have to keep your eyes on the prize. Good luck!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    My first 2 years of college I only worked 20 to 30 hours, but for the next 3 years I did work 30 plus hours at a bookstore. This did result in my difficulty in finishing college - because I didn't manage my time wisely - so I quit college & worked full time for a year.

For the next 2 years I worked full time & took night classes, finishing my undergrad degree in a whopping 8 years. Depends on the parents & circumstances - my parents were'nt the type to pay for college - they viewed it as a neccessity but since their parents didn't help them out, they weren't obliged to help me out (except for a discount room & board at $200 a month).

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    If anyone tries to tell you that they are more important than your desire to learn, dump them fast.
    Luckily my fiancee is very supportive and understanding of my desire to finish school, and she has tried her best to let me do what I need to. She knows that I am not going to let anybody or anything get in my way, but I didn't even have to tell her that.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Undergrad - part-time jobs here and there. You name I've done it. From janitor for high-rise office buildings to producer on a news radio station doing CBA games for the Omaha Racers.

Grad School - By the second year, I was working full time and going to grad. school full time. It was fairly easy until it came to write my thesis. My typical weekday consisted of going to work from 8 to 4:30, go to class at 5, go the library at Johns Hopkins at 8 to research and write, get home at 11 or 12 to type until I woke up with my keyboard drenched in slobber and the thesis looked liked this ;lsjf;lsjfl;sdf;s;lfjsl;fjs;lsjfsjfl;sffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. But I graduated on time, and wouldn't change the experience for nothing in the world.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup...

I worked full time while in grad school, but only took between 6 and 9 hours of classes each semester.....it worked out well....
    Skilled Adoxographer

I worked 25-35 hours per week during undergrad - and put my social life first, so my grades were not the best. But I intend to go back to school next spring while working full time. Most of the classes I will be taking are night or weekend courses, so I won't have to mess around with my work schedule. This is probably a good time for me to go back to school since I don't care as much about my social life, and I am really looking forward to being a student again. The thing that bothers me the most is that I don't want to go for my MPA, but it looks like that is the only option for me right now. This is the reason I have been putting off school for so long....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am working full-time along with being a full-time college student. It's quite a balancing act, but I like keeping busy. I don't want to drop my job because it's entry-level which is awesome since most of my friends work in retail, and I was hired because of my knowledge of Final Cut Pro and website skills. They'd flip if I left. And I don't want to.

Plus, something is just so awesome about working downtown Saint Paul. I love the vibe.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jan 2009, 10:46 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Oct 2005, 2:26 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Feb 2004, 5:34 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Oct 2003, 5:20 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Apr 2001, 3:20 PM