Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deep Throat (what are your thoughts?)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Deep Throat (what are your thoughts?)

Because my other one was closed… I will add more information because I feel that it is a significant moment in history and has all right to be discussed.

Link Here.

I was surprised to find out that Felt had admitted that he was deep throat. I wonder about how this will impact his life. I also think that his personal choice to contact the reporters and help them with the leads changed the way that government administrations handle things. I think that many presidents before Nixon did many of the same things, but it was Felt that finally put a stop to it.

I also wonder how this will influence the rest of Felt’s life.

What are your thoughts on this?

Off-topic:
    * also no hard feelings to NHPlanner, I think that he is right and I should have added more info.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I also wonder how this will influence the rest of Felt’s life.
    He's 91. Didn't you read the article? I am sure his life will be fine. In fact, maybe he'll get to write a book or two now and make some money.

Have you seen the movie All the Preseident's Men? I love the portrayal of Deep Throat.

What surprises me most is the fact that his identity was kept secret in DC for 30-odd years. Now that is truly remarkable.

Some liberal talking head this morning countered Buchanan's lambasting of Felt by saying that this was an important example of the need for whistleblowing. Huh? This was most definitely not --underscore not -- whistleblowing. This was, plain and simple, leaking to the press. An entirely different thing, IMO, since whistleblowing is using the government to expose crime/illegal activity, as opposed to using the press to reveal it.

For such a smart guy, Nixon could be really stupid. He had it coming.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    He's 91. Didn't you read the article? I am sure his life will be fine. In fact, maybe he'll get to write a book or two now and make some money.

Have you seen the movie All the Preseident's Men? I love the portrayal of Deep Throat.
    His daughter said that she thinks he will live to be 100. Regardless if it is a good change or bad change, I don't think that his life will be the same.

No, I have yet to see that movie.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Forget Deep Throat.

Who was the guy on the grassy knoll?

I'm so waiting for Woodward and Berstien's 15 minutes to end.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I think, at best, this revelation will be no more than a footnote in history.

I don't see his life changing in any substantive ways. He may get more press time for now, but that's probably it.

Nixon definitely should have burned those tapes. Seems logical to me.
    Last edited by mendelman; 01 Jun 2005 at 11:25 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    When this story broke, I thought to myself, "Ohhhhh, Deep Throat is a secret informant. I had it all wrong."
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    A couple of years ago, some students thought that they had discovered the identity of Deep Throat - Fred Fielding. It appears that they were quite wrong.

I read in an article yesterday that Woodward and Bernstein will neither confirm nor deny Deep Throat's real identity until he dies. So I suppose we'll have to wait until that happens before we find that out.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    A couple of years ago, some students thought that they had discovered the identity of Deep Throat - Fred Fielding. It appears that they were quite wrong.

I read in an article yesterday that Woodward and Bernstein will neither confirm nor deny Deep Throat's real identity until he dies. So I suppose we'll have to wait until that happens before we find that out.
    They, and the Washington Post, all confirmed that in the afternoon.

OTOH, anyone younger than about their late 40s/early 50s would have likely reacted with 'who?' and 'what?' upon hearing that news. (hehehehe )

I also agree with Mendelman, it will be a footnote in history (and, IMHO, of interest mainly to flaming ultra-lefties) and that Nixon should have destroyed those particular tapes.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The public radio program MarketPlace reported this morning that some familiar with the publishing industry think Felt's motivation for the admission may have been $$$$: a book advance to him may now be worth up to $1 million.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Alot of people on the news seem to be saying that the motivation is for money. I don't have a problem with that, considering that it is afterall his story (assuming that he really is the guy). Why should he and his family wait for him to die just to have Woodward and Bernstein publish their book and rake in even more cash.

I have always wanted to know who deepthroat was, as well as what actually happened with the Kennedy assassination. So, I was quite excited to see just who deepthroat really was. I had always imagined a cunning, calculating, disappear into the night kind of guy - the kind of guy you might see in the movies divulging secrets to a reporter in a back alleyway somewhere. So when this 91 year old guy came shuffling out onto his porch with his warker and grey hair, I must admit that I was somewhat dissapointed. It was very anti-climactic.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ricepg
    So, I was quite excited to see just who deepthroat really was. I had always imagined a cunning, calculating, disappear into the night kind of guy - the kind of guy you might see in the movies divulging secrets to a reporter in a back alleyway somewhere. So when this 91 year old guy came shuffling out onto his porch with his warker and grey hair, I must admit that I was somewhat dissapointed. It was very anti-climactic.
    Reality is much more boring than the movies.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Reality is much more boring than the movies.
    You would think that I would have known that by now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I was so disappointed that Deep Throat didn't turn out to be Diane Sawyer. That just has such an interesting mental picture.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Kudos to him! Maybe the person responsible for making Woodward & Bernstein filthy rich and household names will finally get his rather than them taking it all! You know, it had to be fun keeping a secret for that long.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I love the nickname he has to live down. "Hi, I'm sexually ambiguous senior citizen! Does my cover name represent a desire, or an offer of service? WHO KNOWS!?"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I admire the guy. He could have kept quiet like everyone else. He might have tried going to the Justice Department, but do you think that they would have pursued anything, or that he would have been allowed to have a career? Instead, he went to the public through the press. He did not do it for personal gain, but because he thought it was the right thing to do. If money was his motivation, he would have come forward much sooner.

Oh, G. Gordon Liddy is questioning his ethics. Yeah, he is one to talk about ethics.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    This guy's confession as Deep Throat strikes me as a little iffy. Felt wasn't part of the "inner circle" -- he was a high ranking bureaucrat. Maybe he pointed Woodward and Bernstein in the right direction, but it doesn't seem that Felt was personally privy to the info that brought Nixon down.

Maybe he's just one of many who were "Deep Throat".

Registered
    May 2002
    I don't think too many people really care anymore other than that it's just a footnote on Watergate at this point. Too much time has passed.

I think the most interesting thing I've read about it is G. Gordon Liddy saying that Felt "violated the ethics of the law enforcement profession." Really? And Mr. Liddy's credibility comes from being part of the Law Breaking Profession? Give me a break.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    couple of thoughts...When I heard the news yesterday my initial reaction was sort of neutral, don't really care.

i think it is pretty amazing that the secret was kept for 30 years. And while I am no big fan of who Woodward and Bernstein have become, they should get some credit as well for the secret.

the man is 91 years old so i grant him any motivation he wants. Though I have heard that there is an article coming out in Vanity Fair, at the request and with participation by the family, that clearly sates money in fact is a motivation.

But as was said above, W & B made their careers on this, so why shouldn't this guy.

As to the ethics, that is a little more grey and I suspect much more will come out about it. He was a high level law enforcement agent of the FBI, so I think more than just a bureaucrat, and therefore not sure, all things being equal, that his actions should be seen in a totally positive light.

I agree, footnote to history.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Unintentional humor at Google news? They provide a link called Bush Anxious to Learn More of Deep Throat, with a summary text... it is so hilarious! You know, that whole double meaning of Deep Throat! I took a screenshot and made a JPEG, so if the news summary page changes, I can PM the image to you, if you would like.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Unintentional humor at Google news? They provide a link called Bush Anxious to Learn More of Deep Throat, with a summary text... it is so hilarious! You know, that whole double meaning of Deep Throat! I took a screenshot and made a JPEG, so if the news summary page changes, I can PM the image to you, if you would like.
    Strange for Bush to wade into this, not to mention very unwise. He is quoted as saying he has not made up his mind as to whether or not Deep Throat acted honourably or not (loose paraphrase).

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Many of my friends and I in the DC area seem to have the same thought-who flippin cares anymore? Was Nixon out of line? Yup. The White House seems to be a haven for men with less than strong ethics.

NEXT!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    It's quite impressive that deep throat could keep his mouth shut for so long...

Now... I actually don't give a damn 'cause:
    -It all happened way before I was born
    -It's more of a US internal problem than a Global one

The idea of a 91 year old Deep throat gives me the creeps...

Registered
    May 2005
    Yes, “Deep Throat” was a very controversial movie in 1977. It was banned in 23 states!

“I'm not a baby, I'm a MAN, I am an ANCHORMAN”

- Ron Burgundy

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. [OMG!] Deep thoughts for the day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 6:03 PM
  2. I know who Deep Throat is!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1